Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Kind of new here-Looking for ME Grad students

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of new here-Looking for ME Grad students

I do a lot of lurking around here and other places for research for my hobbies as well as some for work. I'd like to however put up a post in the "automotive careers" section. I don't have 50 posts worth of things to say so I'll put it here and hope it finds it's way.

This might be a longshot, but I'm looking for a motivated individual with a completed engineering degree that would be interested in pursuing a masters of Mechanical Engineering or Phd. in ME that has experience in real world hands on engine work, preferably some experience on dynos. They also must to have good analytical skills and have a history of completing quality work (decent GPA as an undergrad/good work references). The best students we've found are already busy, and the pool is pretty dry for any more good candidates, most of the school's recruiting efforts are overseas for people that don't have the kind of backyard experience that is in a way critical for what needs done up here.

The quick and dirty of what you'd be doing is testing various engines and systems in a laboratory grade test cell. This means everything from installing thermocouples, to fabricating mounts, to installing in cylinder pressure sensors. Then be able to work with the calibration (the tools we get from the OEM's make hptuners, efilive, etc. look like a cigarette lighter), data logging and combustion analysis software. Finally you will be needing to post process and present data to the industry sponsor.

If you are interested please take a look at the Michigan Tech mechanical engineering grad school page to get an idea of what's involved, then shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email and phone number and give you a better idea of what is involved.

I would really like to see some more good students get into this program. If you are the right person for the job and we can find a sponsored project, you will get paid enough to cover living expenses while you attend school.

p.s. this degree from MTU will get you work anywhere you want to in this field. Ford, GM, cat, cummins, merc marine, navistar, GE, polaris, arctic cat, schumberger, and many others including most major automotive suppliers are all loaded with MTU alumni.

-Paul

Quick Reply: Kind of new here-Looking for ME Grad students