LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

ATI super dumper 917271 and vortech V1

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ATI super dumper 917271 and vortech V1

Hi guys,
I tried to google it bu can't find anything.
I have LT1 96 engine I'm just about to finish.
I want to install 917271 ATI super damper but have two questions.
1. Am I OK to fit vortech supercharger pulley onto the damper? I know my stock damper had a arrow mark on it and I couldn't fit supercharger pulley properly.
2. Once I have the supercharger pulley installed is the offset going to fit my supercharger or do I need some spacers?

Any feedback will be much appreciated

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails ATI super dumper 917271 and vortech V1-lt1garage.jpg.jpg  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PaulV8terror
Hi guys,
I tried to google it bu can't find anything.
I have LT1 96 engine I'm just about to finish.
I want to install 917271 ATI super damper but have two questions.
1. Am I OK to fit vortech supercharger pulley onto the damper? I know my stock damper had a arrow mark on it and I couldn't fit supercharger pulley properly.
2. Once I have the supercharger pulley installed is the offset going to fit my supercharger or do I need some spacers?

Any feedback will be much appreciated

Thanks
its not a bolt up and go deal but it can be made to work.

first thing to over come is the id of the ati hub is larger than the factory piece. so to have 3 options to over come this problem.
1. custom lower pulley.(my 8.5" cost just under $300 from asp.)
2. have some one with a lathe cut the back of the pulley for the larger index ring.
3. have some one with a lathe cut a index wash that will press over the factory index ring.(this works and is how we ran ours for several years.)

second thing is spacing. the ati hub moves everything out further if you use a stock depth pulley. its right at 0.500" difference in spacing. my spacer checks right 0.485" so 0.500" plate should work fine.

third thing is clearance. moving it out helps with wires if your still running a opti and allows you enough room for a 4" inlet pipe with minor rubbing on the steering rack. down side to moving it out is how close to the radiator it is.

and a little advice i learned the hard way. don't try and run any wheel smaller than 2.75" on top. they just dont have enough grip area to turn them fast with out a lot of slipping. i went as low as 2.5" and only picked up more belt dust for the effort.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Thanks a lot, I followed your advice and now my supercharger pulley has been skimmed to fit on the ATI super damper tight.
That works perfect. Just need to buy new bolts.

However I have two more questions
1. Not sure if the hub sits properly. It is showing me 26mm / 1.02 inch as per photo. I tried to press it in more but seems like that's all I can get. I was using the tool made from the long threaded rod, nuts and old bearing as recommended on forum. This tool worked perfectly with my stock hub. I can try again but don't want to damage the crankshaft internal thread.

2. Looking at the design of this hub I cannot see the possibility of installing the crankshaft bolt unless I'm missing something. Design is totally different than stock hub. I have a used damper so maybe there should be a big washer in?

As usual any advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails ATI super dumper 917271 and vortech V1-photo-3.jpg   ATI super dumper 917271 and vortech V1-photo-1.jpg   ATI super dumper 917271 and vortech V1-photo-2.jpg   ATI super dumper 917271 and vortech V1-photo-4.jpg  
Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a used damper so maybe there should be a big washer in?

Thanks
yes there is a washer for the ATI hub. it comes with the unit new so your used one must be missing it.

this is the ATI part # for the washer that goes with the 917327 "damper kit" (mine is for the LT1 1996 OBD2 motor)

hub washer #953070 (I suspect the washer is same size as you need but you could contact ATI to confirm)

you can buy it from Summit or ATI direct.

in looking at your part # of ATI this is in the "application" notes.

Application Notes:Required spacer and washer provided with damper

not sure what the "spacer" is for but there is a diffrence in hub length between 94-95 vs 96 OBd2 motors, IIRC. Maybe that spacer is for the 96??
Old 07-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Teching In

That sir is a beautiful motor
Old 07-21-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks a lot, I followed your advice and now my supercharger pulley has been skimmed to fit on the ATI super damper tight.
That works perfect. Just need to buy new bolts.

However I have two more questions
1. Not sure if the hub sits properly. It is showing me 26mm / 1.02 inch as per photo. I tried to press it in more but seems like that's all I can get. I was using the tool made from the long threaded rod, nuts and old bearing as recommended on forum. This tool worked perfectly with my stock hub. I can try again but don't want to damage the crankshaft internal thread.

2. Looking at the design of this hub I cannot see the possibility of installing the crankshaft bolt unless I'm missing something. Design is totally different than stock hub. I have a used damper so maybe there should be a big washer in?

Thanks
mine is still in pieces. so i can't confirm your measurement at this time. but you could just pull it back off and measure the length of the crank snout, the inside length of the hub then do a depth check to determine if it seated all the way.

like ****** said it sound like your missing the big washer.
here is a pic of mine.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for photo.

Can you please send me exact dimensions of the washer and the bolt?
Seems like it will be easier to make one than getting a washer from US as I think there is no distributor of ATI in UK.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for photo.

Can you please send me exact dimensions of the washer and the bolt?
Seems like it will be easier to make one than getting a washer from US as I think there is no distributor of ATI in UK.
lol overnight shipping from the us cant be that much.

you might want to have it cut a little thicker than mine unless you can get it heat treated.

od: 1.966"
id: 0.455"
thick: 0.280"

bolt is 2.5" long.

Quick Reply: ATI super dumper 917271 and vortech V1