Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy Power Steering Pulley Install with Heat/Cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Power Steering Pulley Install with Heat/Cold

I wasn't really sure what section to post this in but I tried out a new method for installing my power steering pump pulley a few nights ago and it worked like a charm so I wanted to spread the knowledge

As an engineer, it's pretty normal to design interference or press fits that are installed by heating up one part and cooling another. I tried to search for some others who have tried this with the power steering pump pulley and couldn't find anything so I decided to take a chance.

I kept the pump in the freezer overnight

and placed the pulley in the oven at 350F for about a half hour. I know you can't tell by the picture but that thing is smokin hot.

The mating couldn't have gone smoother. The pulley slid on with very little resistance, seated well, sizzled the icy shaft a little and within about a second locked on.

I hope this will help someone else out. Now go check out my Lexus IS250 LS1 swap: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ls1-build.html
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

DISCLAIMER: I was using an aluminum pulley from Turnone. Aluminum has almost twice the thermal expansion of steel so I am not sure if this will work with the factory steel pulley.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

We put gears on like that but we use a magnetic heater thingy. Magnetic waves cause the part to heat up. I used your method once too, my wife came home then I got in trouble for stinking up house !
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS BRAVADA
We put gears on like that but we use a magnetic heater thingy. Magnetic waves cause the part to heat up. I used your method once too, my wife came home then I got in trouble for stinking up house !
An induction heater?
Old 06-28-2013, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Are not factory pulleys plastic/nylon based?
Old 06-28-2013, 06:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I also use the oven to bake on freshly painted parts. That really stinks it up
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good job.

When I saw the power steering pump right next to the hamburger I immediately thought the wife must have been out for the day. That freezer is too clean for you to be single.

A cheap heat gun works pretty well for that also. I've used a camp stove in the garage and even thought about the gas grill once.

I had one guy tell me to use lard instead of cutting oil on the drill press. Says the whole garage ends up smelling like bacon.

The timer went out on the dishwasher once so it just stayed on the wash cycle forever. I really wanted to put that in the garage and fill it with parts washer fluid. Just didn't have the room.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Are not factory pulleys plastic/nylon based?
All the ones I've seen are plastic with a metal hub.

Originally Posted by Thumper28
DISCLAIMER: I was using an aluminum pulley from Turnone. Aluminum has almost twice the thermal expansion of steel so I am not sure if this will work with the factory steel pulley.
See above.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We use dry ice to put the big bearings on big presses at work, it should work better on the steel pullies

Quick Reply: Easy Power Steering Pulley Install with Heat/Cold