Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wife wrecked the car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife wrecked the car...

It happens to the best of us, just glad she was ok and the baby was left with gran-ma.

2003 BMW 330i with 115k miles and my wife being the 7th owner and this makes the cars 3rd wreck. Front end impact in 04, someone backed into the car early this year and now this.

and for reference;

Is it worth fixing or is this a total? The adjuster from Geico said he thinks it can be fixed. Sure, with enough money I thought.

I wanted to sell the car and buy something bigger. Then this happen. I do not want to fix it, I would rather them call it a loss, buy it back and part it out. It was a great car, but we wanted something newer, bigger. The car wasn't perfect before this, things like rear window didn't work, sunroof didn't work and leaked, leather was cracking, transmission worked fine but didn't feel 100%. After 7 owners and 3 wrecks I think it's best to part it out.

I'm not sure what my options are if Geico want's to fix it, because I don't. The book value of a car like this in good condition was around $11k retail, I don't think after 7 owners and two wrecks it was worth that before this wreck. They said it'll take 80% of the value to total.

Thoughts?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

You don't have to let them do anything. You can part it now. If you're thinking about letting them total it to pay it off, I'd just let it go. I had a 97 rs that was totaled and looked into buying it back but it just wasn't worth what they wanted for it. So to me if you can get more money by parting it out then I'd just bypass the insurance all together and part it.

That being said I couldn't tell you if its a total loss or not. Some of the BMW parts get pretty pricey.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Launching!

I can choose to have it fixed and pay a deductible. They are taking it to a body shop and get an estimate. Now if they find it's going to take $xxxx amount of dollars to fix it, I would rather they cut me a check, haul it back home and I'll part it that way if they dont call it a loss. Either way I don't want to keep it, fixed or not.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Quick Reply: Wife wrecked the car...