LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 Firebird 5.7L Custom Exhaust in California?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 Firebird 5.7L Custom Exhaust in California?

Hello,

I just moved to the San Diego area and my car isnt certified for California Emissions. I want to replace the exhaust, so that it will pass, and I might as well do it all. I want to get new headers for the car but need to be California certified along with the rest of the exhaust.

Does anyone know of an exhaust place that will do custom exhaust work not just bolt on aftermarket parts? Or somewhere affordable? I got one quote already and its close to $3500 for the whole exhaust and they couldnt find headers so that's with manifolds...

If I'm going to spend the money then I'd rather get it custom.

Also is there a F-Body Club in the San Diego area?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Teching In

I'm not in San Diego. But I am in Orange County. My car has 50-state legal JBA headers that are ceramic coated and a high flow magnaflow cat, and a pretty cheap flow master. To be honest I bought it with all of these pieces so I don't know how much they all cost, but It was able to pass the emissions test with all of these and a very bad tune on the car. Basically none of the exhaust is stock. I would think if you can buy all of the pieces yourself it should not be that much to have a competent muffler shop install everything. And you probably only need to change the headers and cat. The muffler shouldn't affect emissions. Just my .02
Old 06-29-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

That is correct. All modified parts (or at least those they can see) need to have a CARB EO number and have the sticker or plate on them. That is a bit of a problem for those of us that modified 93, 94s early on as even certified parts didn't include the plates or stickers even with a CARB EO number. So you need to replace the parts with Ca parts or get the CARB EO number from the California database. At least check your parts with the database to see if they qualify.

For exhaust you need EO numbered parts and a non relocated cat.

Good luck. BTW, the guys at Encinitas Smog are really good. You can't pull anything over them but if you are good with the rules they will get it smogged. I have found the less knowledgeable folks won't smog an older car just because they are not certain what is legal and what isn't, so I would rather workwith a good group.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Banned

Warners: 760-433-2240. They put in my 4" and can bend 4" custom if needed - i had bought my 4" from mufflex already and realized Warners can do it custom for same or less. Man once u see 4" you'll be sold - single 4" rear exit. Let Jim know what u want for cat and muffler and he will fit anything while using CA smog legal parts. Put it this way, i drive down all the way from Orange county because there is no exh shop in Orange Co (i looked all over) that compares to Warners. I would recommend his work to out of state owners that want a quality exh sys.
U will need smog legal headers or the stock exh manifolds. If u need manifolds i have mine from my '94 and would like to see them go to a good cause. But the '93 exh manifolds may be different as all the headers are unique for '93.

Let us know how it works out,
cardo
Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, the 93 and 94 headers are different. Primarily in the location of the AIR fitting on the header/exh manifold.

I have spent a ton of time on Google/Bing looking for an emissions legal header that is still available for the 93 Camaro and the only one I can find is the 2060HKR from Hooker. And it is not cheap. And although I see the part number I am not certain it is still sold by anyone.

Not many of us left and the 93 is a bit of a orphan as that is the only year that the header is different from 93-97.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:10 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Yes, the 93 and 94 headers are different. Primarily in the location of the AIR fitting on the header/exh manifold.
Isn't the AIR pump on a '93 in the same location? Why not buy a different year and plumb it to compensate? Can't see inspection saying anything as long as it's present and functional. How about the y-pipe? Isn't it the same as '94-'95 since they too use only one converter?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

The 93 is a unique configuration. I don't suspect that you would have a problem if you used 94-97 smog legal headers. In fact that may be necessary to obtain a set. Might be easier to get the air pump fittings and EGR fittings from 94-97 also.

Quick Reply: 93 Firebird 5.7L Custom Exhaust in California?