Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel hard line vs flexible 1000HP

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel hard line vs flexible 1000HP

Hello, I am fitting an NA LSx454 with Jenvey injection system. Initially should only make around 650HP, but once its all going am going to chase more. (maybe max 1000 with NO2) The car will be used occasionally but primarily on the street, with some drag and circuit work.

I am looking to fit a Weldon DB2015-A pump, with 2040 Valve and a 1400 Dial A Flow module. The fuel tank will be a custom fabrication with internal surge and better feed swirl pot and baffling. I also intend running two filters one before and one after the pumps as per Weldon recommend.

Currently my car stock has feed and return 5/16 hard lines.

I am thinking I need to upgrade them, I am thinking of running a single 1/2" hard line as far as I can with braided 200 series line from the pump to the line, and also up front to the fuel rails.

Would it be better or worse to instead run a 1/2" flexible line all the way instead of the hard line, on the one hand it appears it may be an easier install, but i am worried about smell etc.

Do I need to run a return?

Does that sound like a sound design??

Look forward to your comments...
Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you are going to all the trouble of running a custom cell & race pump, why consider retaining the stock lines at all?

Large diameter hard line is tough to bend & makes routing somewhat difficult. You still need flex line at the tank & engine connections, so you will spend more on fittings to adapt twice.

I would use flex line the whole way, but since you are considering fuel smell as a problem, I would not consider the 200 series rubber based line. You should be using Teflon line as it does not have a permeation problem.

Yes you need a return line for your future power needs.

If interested in a fuel system, give me a call. I can set you up with a complete system designed for your application.

Last edited by Lonnies Performance; 06-29-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto. PTFE is the way to go. Summit Racing brand is about the best price although they only go up to -8. Fragola is next and they have larger sizes. Once you get the hose the fittings add up quickly if you need more than just a few.

When I did my crude system on the '69, I put in PTFE for the feed and used the original (but new stainless) 3/8" hard line for the return. Originally tried to go cheap with the synthetic nitrile lined hose but it bled fuel odor. Summit refunded my money and I bought their PTFE to replace it.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Does the return line need to be the same diameter as the feed?
Old 07-03-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

usually the return is a size smaller since you've sprayed alot of the fuel into the engine so there isnt as much to return to the tank.

usually.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks all, have settled on a D2015-A pump, with 40 & 100 micron filters before/after the pump. I am going to remove both the existing 5/16" hard lines, and replace them with 1/2" as far as I can go, then flexible the last bit.

I am going for a full return system with the regulator under bonnet at the end of the fuel rails. I am also having the PWM controller for the pump as the car will see a lot of street duty.

I am getting a tank made by a company specializing in Ally race tanks. The tank will have an internal 3L surge built in, it has an external lift pump, as well as my Weldon etc. These are built into an area at the front of the tank. I have had the Weldon pump, and filters sent there and he will build everything to suit them.

I will post some pictures once its all done and in.

Quick Reply: Fuel hard line vs flexible 1000HP