General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

First Car Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Car Advice

Hi y'all, I'm 16 and will be buying my first car soon and have my heart set on either a Camaro Z28 or Firebird Trans Am. I have about a $4,000 budget for the car and have a few questions. Should I get a lower mileage lt1 car or a relatively higher mileage ls1? What would be the performance/reliability differences and how many miles is too many? Also, should I get the six-speed and learn how to drive standard on the fly or just go with the a4? What are the advantages/disadvantages with this?
Old 06-29-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

save some more money and get a cleaner car with not a ton of mileage that hasnt been heavily modded. 80k and lower if possible.

both trans can be fun but imo everyone should learn how to drive a manual trans so if thats what you want get it.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:35 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's your first car, so you'll have plenty of time to learn what you like or don't like in a vehicle. With that in mind, I'd definitely go with a 6 speed to learn that connection (plus, it's a great skill to have). I'd go with a higher mileage LS1 car, but I'd base my decision on condition. I'll take the clean 150k mile car over the ragged 80k car any day.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I say buy a nice clean low mileage V6. A 200hp rwd is more than enough car for a 16yr old to get into trouble with. Take good care of it and save your money to trade it in for a nice LS1 powered car in 1 or 2 yrs.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 PM

Thanks for the help everybody! And ya, I already kinda decided on a manual (partly cuz it seems more fun and partly so my family isn't always trying to drive it lol). Also, any advice on insurance? Which would be better in that respect? I know I'm asking a lot, but what do y'all think would be a reasonable offer for a 99 trans am t56 with around a 100,000 that seems to be in good condition? (Only mods are exhaust, intake, common small stuff) I'm still looking but there are a few that match this description.

Also, the reason I don't wanna get a v6 is I think I'll probably be stuck with it for a while if I do. I think I'm a pretty good driver (excluding my ignorance of standards lol) and I'm very responsible, so I'm relatively sure I can handle the power. I just want a good car that will be fun to drive, and look nice, but will also be reliable enough to get me through college with regular maintanence (done myself of course
Old 06-29-2013, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Based on the condition of the TA, i'd say between $6k-$8k.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by Fry_
I say buy a nice clean low mileage V6. A 200hp rwd is more than enough car for a 16yr old to get into trouble with. Take good care of it and save your money to trade it in for a nice LS1 powered car in 1 or 2 yrs.
thats no fun just get an ls1 lol.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Definitely forget the V6 if you care anything about performance. My first car was an 89 IROC-Z with the 350. That is small peas today, but in 1999 when I first started looking for my first car, I knew it was going to be a third gen. However, it wasn't until I found car forums (camaroz28.com was the big site back then) and people started to influence me by their posts about avoiding the lower-output models that I realized I was going to go "big."

I learned a lot since then, and as a new father, I will have no problem letting my son drive my Camaro when he's old enough (unless he's a complete douchbag at 16). So, don't worry about those who want to rain on your parade about the car being too much. You'll learn how to handle it. Enough of my soapbox rant.

I'd also not skip over a LT1 if you found a very clean one, especially with your budget. $4000 is not all that much considering you'll likely need to do some things to it after you purchase it. If going LT1, try to stick with 95 and newer.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would get the LS1 car, they are hard to pass up nowadays with how cheap they are. I got mines when I was about your age and that's when I was the most careful. These things are absolutely no different than other cars if you just drive them normally. I'm almost 20 now, I made a bad decision a few weeks ago and sent mines into a guardrail, the key is to always respect the car, if you do this you will be fine.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Save up for a LSJuan.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plus 1 on saving up for a maintained car. Cheaper cars can get pretty expensive.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
plus 1 on saving up for a maintained car. Cheaper cars can get pretty expensive.
Make that 'PLUS 2'. Completely agree.
$4,000 will buy you garbage 9 times out of 10 and that's the last thing a 16 year old, with very little money, needs. You could easily have to sink in thousands of dollars to get a $4,000 car into decent shape unless you are mechanically inclined and can do work yourself.
You also asked about insurance. Man, if you haven't checked into that aspect, you better do it soon. From what I understand, insurance is a horribly high cost for teenagers that drive LS1 machines.
Save your $$$!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Make that 'PLUS 2'. Completely agree.
$4,000 will buy you garbage 9 times out of 10 and that's the last thing a 16 year old, with very little money, needs. You could easily have to sink in thousands of dollars to get a $4,000 car into decent shape unless you are mechanically inclined and can do work yourself.
You also asked about insurance. Man, if you haven't checked into that aspect, you better do it soon. From what I understand, insurance is a horribly high cost for teenagers that drive LS1 machines.
Save your $$$!!!
Speaking of insurance, you might be better off if you find a z28 or a formula. Even though they have the same engine in all fbody v8's, the z28s and formulas were rated lower in terms of power. That can help a bit with the insurance part. Plus the car itself should be a bit cheaper too.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Zlow28
Speaking of insurance, you might be better off if you find a z28 or a formula. Even though they have the same engine in all fbody v8's, the z28s and formulas were rated lower in terms of power. That can help a bit with the insurance part. Plus the car itself should be a bit cheaper too.
That's only true of WS6's otherwise there rated the same.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fry_
That's only true of WS6's otherwise there rated the same.
the SS and firehawk are also rated higher. Plus the SLP optioned cars
Old 06-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Banned

I guess if it is your first car than you should be quite careful...just focus upon the budget and the requirement. Do not end up purchasing a flashy or a glossy piece of metal which you will end up regretting..just go subtle and choose well...
Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheGeneralLee
Thanks for the help everybody! And ya, I already kinda decided on a manual (partly cuz it seems more fun and partly so my family isn't always trying to drive it lol). Also, any advice on insurance? Which would be better in that respect? I know I'm asking a lot, but what do y'all think would be a reasonable offer for a 99 trans am t56 with around a 100,000 that seems to be in good condition? (Only mods are exhaust, intake, common small stuff) I'm still looking but there are a few that match this description.
I'd go with a ls1 6spd if possible, but be careful. The power numbers don't sound crazy by today's standards, but our cars are quite a bit lighter and the power delivery is much more linear than a newer v6 that makes 300hp. Respect the power and you'll be safe and have fun. It's done me good so far. There is a time and place for everything

Can't say too much for insurance since i've only had v8's, but my ls1 6spd is $200 cheaper a year than my lt1 auto and registration is $15 cheaper. Don't know how much the insurance is just for the ls1 since it's included with 4 other vehicles, but for my dad and i (im 20) with a 2000 mustang gt, 1991 olds 88, 1984 chevy k30, 2008 challenger SRT8, 1999 T/A (non-ws6), it is about $1400 a year

Last edited by 94 White T/A; 07-01-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

If you can; list your mom as the main driver. I drove an LS1 all through college and loved it. Never broke down once, lots of power, and good mpg to boot
Old 07-01-2013, 08:20 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 02ls1gun
If you can; list your mom as the main driver.
This is how I had to do it. The car got put in my mom's name as did the insurance. I was simply listed on part of the insurance policy. I don't recall the details as that was 14 years ago, but that's how I saved a bunch of money on insurance.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ls1gun
If you can; list your mom as the main driver. I drove an LS1 all through college and loved it. Never broke down once, lots of power, and good mpg to boot
This.
Originally Posted by demonspeed
This is how I had to do it. The car got put in my mom's name as did the insurance. I was simply listed on part of the insurance policy. I don't recall the details as that was 14 years ago, but that's how I saved a bunch of money on insurance.
The way it works is your parent (mom, dad) is listed as primary driver and you are listed as a secondary driver. I did the same thing through college.

Quick Reply: First Car Advice