Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers hitting frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers hitting frame

I had a set of 1 7/8" TSP headers installed a few days ago and the guy who installed them said that there may be a rattle with the headers hitting the frame. Well sure enough there is a rattle. Didn't start to happen until this morning and it's quite irritating. It rattles when driving sometimes and even worse at idle. I haven't had the chance to look at the motor mounts and see if they're shot but do you guys think that's the reason? I have a buddy who has the same headers on his 99 t/a and he has no problem with them. Any suggestions will help! Thanks.

Edit: Forgot to mention my car is a 01' WS6.... if that makes a difference.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

poly MM not installed too ????? ( facepalm )
Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
poly MM not installed too ????? ( facepalm )
So do you think that's the problem..?
Old 06-29-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nrakestr
So do you think that's the problem..?
very possible, had the same problem with my QTP's, new motormounts solved this. you only have one problem, you already installed your headers, have fun with the mm's
Old 06-29-2013, 11:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine hit rarely. 160k on the motor mounts, so that's my fault. But I was tight on cash.

I'll swap them soon enough. They don't hit enough to bother me.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Launching!

My tsp 1 7/8 were touching my driver side k member with new prothane mm.. 1/4 die grinder and a rasp used to remove a small piece of offending k member and problem solved, passenger side was touching heat shield so I bent that and no problems. Now I just need to figure out how to protect the passenger side wire loom that is touching them. Beautiful headers that make a lot of power but you do have to know what you are doing and know how to wrench and modify things to clear up fitment issues.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My headers on my old ws6 touched my k-member and vibrated my whole car at idle causing a rattle in my dash. While it did kind of bother me I just thought it was that vibration everyone talked about with poly motor mounts. About a year later while changing my oil I decide to go look at my headers and sure enough my headers are resting up against my k-member. I took it my local exhaust shop and they gently pried back the header and barely cut a little notch out of my k-member with a cutting torch. I could not believe the difference it made, idle was absolutely perfect and no shaking!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
My headers on my old ws6 touched my k-member and vibrated my whole car at idle causing a rattle in my dash. While it did kind of bother me I just thought it was that vibration everyone talked about with poly motor mounts. About a year later while changing my oil I decide to go look at my headers and sure enough my headers are resting up against my k-member. I took it my local exhaust shop and they gently pried back the header and barely cut a little notch out of my k-member with a cutting torch. I could not believe the difference it made, idle was absolutely perfect and no shaking!
Thanks a lot man I'll have to look into that. And yeah mine is also basically resting on the k frame too.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

my TSP headers have at least 1/4 clearance anywhere by the K
Old 07-01-2013, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by orthopod
My tsp 1 7/8 were touching my driver side k member with new prothane mm..
Mine too, new poly MMs and TSP 1 7/8". I trimmed the lip of the k-member with a cutoff wheel, then later when I went and pulled the motor for a swap, I welded up the seam left with the cut. No issues now
Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

i also have sphon pedestals .....could that be it?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Mine too, new poly MMs and TSP 1 7/8". I trimmed the lip of the k-member with a cutoff wheel, then later when I went and pulled the motor for a swap, I welded up the seam left with the cut. No issues now
I'll have to look into the weld in the future. I started with a 3 inch cut off wheel to make the bulk of the cut then switched to a rasp on a 1/4 die grinder to smooth it out. Blasted it with some paint after. I actually ended up having to replace that header as it was defective from TSP. The 02 bung was on top of the collector instead of on the inner side. I swapped just that header as TSP sent a new one (took about 20 minutes total to swap it, took an hour plus the first time!) and I noticed a slight rattle sometimes when I leave in first. I went down there and looked today after finishing my fuel pump install and I can still see air in between the header and k member but it is tight. When the engine is under torque it MAY touch not sure. Next time I get time to wrench I'll probably loosen the header bolts to swing it away a touch to give room to remove a little more k member.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Launching!

I just finished a install of the tsp headers I used solid spohn mounts perfect fit

Quick Reply: Headers hitting frame