Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ls3 S/C or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls3 S/C or turbo?

hey guys im new too the forums and im hoping you guys could help me out right now im in the process of planning out a ls3 240sx build but I haven't seen a lot about the ls3 418 stroker and ive been tossing around the idea of forced induction but my plans are too build it and have something that's a fun driver that I can take too the track as well
I would love it if I could get the 240 into the 10 second bracket if that helps any
So my question is what would you guys recommend for a ls3 418 stroker? and going forced induction Ive seen the kennie bell superchargers and love them but then I cant shake the idea of a turbo either... so what are some good companies that put out quality forced induction kits for an ls3 and what are you're experiences with them and I mean the good bad and the ugly

thanks for the help in advance

Last edited by Sean Boyer; 06-30-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 418 ls3 better run 10s N/A. I like turbos but either will be fun. What's your skill level and budget.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by silver_82
A 418 ls3 better run 10s N/A. I like turbos but either will be fun. What's your skill level and budget.
Right now im in school too get my ASE master certification for automotive ive done work on older motors like 360 magnums 350 small blocks but I havent gotten too wrench on anything like the new ls motors as for my budget I would like too keep everything reasonable but at the end for a total build I don't want too absolutely break the bank on getting my car into the 10s as a street car if its possible I want too keep the 240sx a daily driver which I know sounds stupid but I did it with my 408 dodge Dakota I built and I loved it (R.I.P) but as a total I don't want too spend more then 20k on the motor and everything keep in mind this is going too be build over time
Old 06-30-2013, 03:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

A all motor 416 can go 10's especially in a light car like that if you can get it to hook. I would go with a procharger and stay stock cubed LS3.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Turbos and budget are 2 words that do not belong together IMHO. Yes I know plenty have done it, heck STS makes a good living out of it, but seriously you only need to break stuff a few times, experience failures a few times, or a complete motor melt down once to work it out that quality pays in the long run.

We used an STS kit - then threw half of it out because it is crap. But the concept is good.

Spend your time on a really good 11:1 precision machined and balanced 418 long block and then suspension and drivetrain set-up. That will take up your $20k and will get you a daily driver that can run 10's and still return over 20mpg highway. With a bit of attention to detail you could also track it on a road course for fun and not heat soak like a supercharged or turbocharged car will. Very hard to hot lap a boosted car making big power without huge attention to cooling etc. A 10 second NA car will be huge fun and can do everything well.

When that get's slow - then get serious. My 2 cents because trying to fit a 418 build and boost and drivetrain and everything else into that budget is going to require a compromise in quality parts/components even if you can fabricate everything yourself.

A decent 418 will make 550hp on a daily driver 224/231 cam with good exhaust, add boost to that and you are going to need a strong drivetrain (including custom driveshaft) and axles and then have unuseable torque on street tires. Get a ride in a light car with over 750 ft/lb of torque that is useable then cost it out, it won't be cheap if it's reliable, hooking, and does everything well.

Last edited by Bazman; 06-30-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:32 PM

I know I can make 10's with it all motor at a 418 stroke but its just one of those things that once speed bites me all I want is more ive got a lot of close friends of mine running low 10 second 1/4 miles one has an extremely well built 2JZ GTE he is pulling close too 600hp at the wheels I know if I keep the car a daily driver im better of with forced induction but I just think back too my stroker in my Dakota and I just missing have all that torque my original plan was too go with a 418 stroker and run something like a procharger with it
Old 06-30-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Turbo
Old 06-30-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sean Boyer
I know I can make 10's with it all motor at a 418 stroke but its just one of those things that once speed bites me all I want is more ive got a lot of close friends of mine running low 10 second 1/4 miles one has an extremely well built 2JZ GTE he is pulling close too 600hp at the wheels I know if I keep the car a daily driver im better of with forced induction but I just think back too my stroker in my Dakota and I just missing have all that torque my original plan was too go with a 418 stroker and run something like a procharger with it
In a 240Z you could turbo a 5.3 and make more torque than you can use. You do not need a 418 to make only 600ft/lb at the wheels, that's baby torque for a built 418 on boost. You cannot compare a high winding low torque high powered high boost turbo 4-6 car to a lightweight LS V8 turbo or blower car. Performance may be similar but the brutal torque is as different as night from day.

A half decent 418 will make 1000hp on less than 1 bar boost - really cool until you try and use it on the road. Triple your budget before going there IMHO.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Bazman
In a 240Z you could turbo a 5.3 and make more torque than you can use. You do not need a 418 to make only 600ft/lb at the wheels, that's baby torque for a built 418 on boost. You cannot compare a high winding low torque high powered high boost turbo 4-6 car to a lightweight LS V8 turbo or blower car. Performance may be similar but the brutal torque is as different as night from day.

A half decent 418 will make 1000hp on less than 1 bar boost - really cool until you try and use it on the road. Triple your budget before going there IMHO.
So if I stay with an ls3 and just leave it and go with forced induction what would you recommend? ive been thinking about taking the 240 and just saying the hell with it and trying too build a 1000hp car out of it but at the same time I just like driving it too much
Old 06-30-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

If your heart is set on a 418 plus boost, then a blower will be easier to do and easier to tune. Both a Procharger or a 2300 will do nicely.

I would not put turbos under that hood on a budget. If I went that way on a 240Z I would add them at the back and run full race headers and exhaust, but you'd need to cut the car up to get the intake pipes back nice and high for clearance if you want the car to have decent clearance without raising it.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sean Boyer
So if I stay with an ls3 and just leave it and go with forced induction what would you recommend? ive been thinking about taking the 240 and just saying the hell with it and trying too build a 1000hp car out of it but at the same time I just like driving it too much
Well, since money does not grow on trees you could work in stages like I am.

1st I'm putting in a stock 2013 LS3 with full race exhaust system and rear mount low boost turbo and free flowing intake set-up. Pressure drop is very low, backpressure is very low. Even the old LS1 could boost from a dig by loading the converter, so the Ls3 will boost even quicker.

The stock engine will support 550rwhp easily, up to 650rwhp for short runs if you keep rpms inside 6500. Just add ARP bolts all round. I'm adding a 040 Cometic head gasket to get tight quench and water/meth.

That combo will get you amazing mpg on the highway and more power than you could use on the street in a 240Z for the most part. It'll be wild.

Later, you can pull the motor and forge it - then run an electronic boost controller to add boost by gear so you can roll more in as the speed increases and get serious power. In the meantime you can get a solid 10 second car for mostly fabrication work.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bazman
Well, since money does not grow on trees you could work in stages like I am.

1st I'm putting in a stock 2013 LS3 with full race exhaust system and rear mount low boost turbo and free flowing intake set-up. Pressure drop is very low, backpressure is very low. Even the old LS1 could boost from a dig by loading the converter, so the Ls3 will boost even quicker.

The stock engine will support 550rwhp easily, up to 650rwhp for short runs if you keep rpms inside 6500. Just add ARP bolts all round. I'm adding a 040 Cometic head gasket to get tight quench and water/meth.

That combo will get you amazing mpg on the highway and more power than you could use on the street in a 240Z for the most part. It'll be wild.

Later, you can pull the motor and forge it - then run an electronic boost controller to add boost by gear so you can roll more in as the speed increases and get serious power. In the meantime you can get a solid 10 second car for mostly fabrication work.
I plan on doing this in stages I was hoping too get the engine stroked too a 418 first while after that I can work on building my drive line and etc ive seen a lot of ls3 vettes and Camaros running a low boost setup and if I do this im really just looking into a supercharger I love turbos but when I had my 3000gt it was just a pain working on them what type of supercharger would you recommend running with a 418 stroke?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

You are going to spend way to much on that motor for what you want. If you just want to be able to say you have a stroked ls3 then go for it. but if you really are on a budget and want forced induction and your car to be done this decade get a $500 5.3. Put some nice ls9 head gaskets and studs on it. Run e85 and get a precision or tnetics 78/75 turbo. In a light car with suspension and tires you could go low 9s if not better.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
You are going to spend way to much on that motor for what you want. If you just want to be able to say you have a stroked ls3 then go for it. but if you really are on a budget and want forced induction and your car to be done this decade get a $500 5.3. Put some nice ls9 head gaskets and studs on it. Run e85 and get a precision or tnetics 78/75 turbo. In a light car with suspension and tires you could go low 9s if not better.
Its not so much of wanting a stroked ls3 or any of that before I bought this 240sx I had a dodge Dakota I pulled the motor out built a 408 stroker for it and I had been planning on going forced induction I loved being able too pull so hard and violently in it and well sense I drive this 240 now its got no power at all compared too my dakota and I really don't feel like spending all my money on building a turbo 4 for what it cost too build a roaring ls engine so the first thing that came too mind was swap it... the reason im partial too the ls3 is because I know where I can get my hands one for 2k

But if I go with a smaller 5.3 5.7 6.0 what would you recommend for a Daily driver that I could run a 10's at the track with? my other build was going too build an ls2 but now after a lot of measuring and etc there is no way in hell im going too be able too run wide enough tires too actually grip with a stroker so that idea is canned now

sorry for asking such stupid question I honestly don't know much about ls motors and how much power they actually put out ive worked on hemi motors and etc but nothing new
Old 07-01-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

I bought a 100 year old a and a kit with a p1sc and got 730 whp out of it out of a 5.7. Really can't beat bang for buck of a simple centi blower kit.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by fotoboy
I bought a 100 year old a and a kit with a p1sc and got 730 whp out of it out of a 5.7. Really can't beat bang for buck of a simple centi blower kit.
With have you had any issues with boosting? is it a sleaved block? im curious because ive heard a lot of issues with people boosting aluminum blocks with my 240sx ive found out im probably not going too be able too run much wider then 275 on the rear and even that might require some serious rolling of the fenders and etc too do so
I would love too fit 315 behind it and keep it clean but its just not going too happen

Quick Reply: ls3 S/C or turbo?