Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

Couple of issues with my 01 z

Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Couple of issues with my 01 z

Bought an 01z06 a couple days ago. Did a tune up on it, changed the oil. Car ran good. How ever it feels painfully slow now, and completely runs out of breath after 5000 rpm. It doesnt pull very good wont spin tires or chirp the 1-2 shift. Also last night I turned of my car, go to start it, and it cranks chugs a second than dies. Did it many times. Finally I disconnected the battery and got it to turn over. Driving home, I was merging onto a highway and the car died. I pulled over disconnected the battery, its started up and I was able to make it home.

My first thought for the no start was maybe the vats system. But went my t/a vats went it didnt even crank. Not sure if the vats would kill a car in motion either.

I am stumped on the lose of power, it doesnt seem to move at all.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

car is starting fine today
Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should head over to Corvette forum
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're car is not chirping the tires in-between 1st and 2nd there's definitely something wrong. I think you might need a new battery it sounds like. C5's are VERY battery sensitive and having just a little bit of low voltage will make the car do funky things. If it ends up being your battery I'd go with an Optima for one reason, if you put in a conventional battery and it starts leaking, it will run down to your computer right below your battery and fry it, many people have dealt with this on the Corvette Forum. After re-reading though you said it died on the interstate? Could be an alternator too? You might find more help on the Corvette Forum than here, before you ask for help over there though, be sure you fill out your location info and what year your car is ect. and proof that you researched the matter before making a new thread or you'll get chewed up by everyone lol
Old 07-02-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

turned out to be a fuel pump. I managed to get the car home, it started in the morning then nothing the rest of the day. I have 0 psi at the fuel rail. Cant hear the pump even try to prime the lines
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ouch, have fun dropping the tanks on this car lol. It has 2 fuel pumps, if it were me, I'd buy 2 upgraded fuel pumps to avoid having to do this again and it'll set you up for mods in the future. The factory pump hums real loud too and you can hear it the cabin. There should be a write up on Corvette Forum on how to do it
Old 07-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Launching!

It just has one pump and for the 01's it's easy to get to. You won't have to drop the tanks.
mid 03s are when they switched to the FFS fuel system (like the C6s have, you need to drop the tanks..)
Old 07-02-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ysb02
It just has one pump and for the 01's it's easy to get to. You won't have to drop the tanks.
mid 03s are when they switched to the FFS fuel system (like the C6s have, you need to drop the tanks..)
Oops, I always thought you had to drop the tanks in our cars to get to them. Isn't there another pump on the passenger side to pump fuel to the other tank too?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Couple of issues with my 01 z