Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Instrument cluster question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Instrument cluster question

I had an electrical short issue that caused a few problems on my 2002 Trans Am. The short has been fixed and all problems resolved except the gauge cluster has a couple of issues - the fuel and temp gauges are not working. I know these use the serial connection and can trace it back to the star connector. There is no problem with the wiring as the OBD connector can read the temp fine through another gauge and I know the wire to the cluster has no breaks. There are no fuse problems or other ground issues as they have all been tested.

Would it be safe to assume I need a new cluster to regain the functionality of these gauges?

Are there any other tests I can try to see if it corrects the problem before I buy a new cluster?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There are other tests but they involve specialized equipment. For example, there is a special signal generator and instrument panel test tool J33431-C that can generate a variable signal to test gauge response. Also, a common scan tool in the OBD II port can be used to test gauge needle sweep.

Unfortunately, there is not much other testing you can do without those tools. You may or may not want to have a dealer do the testing for you depending on how much you trust your local dealer and how much you're willing to spend.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There are other tests but they involve specialized equipment.
Thanks WhiteBird - appreciate the advice. I have a friend at a local dealer so will speak with him and see what I can get done less expensively. I also know someone that has a spare cluster that I'm going to grab and make sure everything works on it. If so, then I really do know mine is messed up and needs to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster question