What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible

It seems the time has come to let go of the Camaro, so I'm asking for thoughts on price from y'all. It's not by choice, but at the very least, I do need a family car. I also have a 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP, but it only has 23k miles and is absolutely mint, so she's going nowhere.

So...the Camaro. The good: LS1 motor and the car has spent almost all of its life in the South or here on the West Coast. The first 2 years of ownership being the exception.

89k miles. I replaced the front dash and the front seat upholstery, as both cracked badly when arriving from the humid climate of Florida to CA. I also replaced the stock carpet with some nicer carpet in black. The convertible top was replaced as well. The car has always had synthetic oil changes since my purchase at 20k miles and has had a recent, complete transmission and radiator service. I have very recent, cross-drilled rotors and pads placed. New shocks (KYB GR2's) and Vogtland springs up front at about 70k miles. I put the stock springs on the back because the car kept bottoming out. I also have 4 brand new, 275/35/18's sitting in my garage.

The bad? AC works and blows cold, but only for about a half hour. If I turn it off for about 2 minutes and turn it back on again, it blows cold again for quite some time. It also only does this sometimes. Other times, it just comes on stays on, and blows cold. The transmission has recently started shifting a bit harder, with slight hesitation from the line on occasion-not all the time. I've had multiple mechanics look at it and tell me nothing's wrong, but I just thought I'd mention it. The car was in a front end collision with no frame damage and repaired by a Chevy dealer in Tampa, FL. Paint all around is pretty decent, but there are some chips here and there.

Any thoughts y'all have would be welcome. I'd probably sell it for a little less if I KNEW the car was going to a good home...to someone who'd take care of it and bring it back to where I was aiming if I didn't need a 4 door sedan of sorts for my family.
Attached Thumbnails Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible-311682_10200203425076790_1916361696_n.jpg   Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible-20130523_155227.jpg   Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible-20130523_155239.jpg   Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible-20130523_155029.jpg   Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible-20130526_164112.jpg  

Old 07-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many owners? Any maintenance history records? Clear title or salvage? Are there any other issues? Each of those factors will affect its value.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

Beautiful looking Z28 'vert. You have done a nice job with the detailing. I would keep the Solstice as well with that low mileage. I imagine it is close to 'near mint' the way you take care of the Z28.
It is also refreshing to read about the car's 'issues' and your honesty in providing details. It gets rather tiring to hear everyone's car being a 9 out of 10 without disclosing the faults.
You have replaced quite a number of important things already so it is a shame to hear about the tranny acting up and the a/c being intermittent (possibly the compressor 'hanging up' ??). Both are potentially very costly repairs which will affect price. If the title is clean I would ask $9,000 OBO in an ad. It is a starting point where you won't scare people away and then you can negotiate downwards for the possible repairs that may be needed. It would be up to you how low you would want to go down. I believe some buyers will make an offer and hope that the repairs will be minimal. The Camaro seems nice enough to make that gamble. GLWS!!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Beautiful looking Z28 'vert. You have done a nice job with the detailing. I would keep the Solstice as well with that low mileage. I imagine it is close to 'near mint' the way you take care of the Z28.
It is also refreshing to read about the car's 'issues' and your honesty in providing details. It gets rather tiring to hear everyone's car being a 9 out of 10 without disclosing the faults.
You have replaced quite a number of important things already so it is a shame to hear about the tranny acting up and the a/c being intermittent (possibly the compressor 'hanging up' ??). Both are potentially very costly repairs which will affect price. If the title is clean I would ask $9,000 OBO in an ad. It is a starting point where you won't scare people away and then you can negotiate downwards for the possible repairs that may be needed. It would be up to you how low you would want to go down. I believe some buyers will make an offer and hope that the repairs will be minimal. The Camaro seems nice enough to make that gamble. GLWS!!
Idk about $9k as it's first year production. $6-7k would be considered a pretty good deal IMO.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Teching In

Getting top dollar will be harder with an accident on the title history... A/C issue could be a faulty pressure switch.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

Agreed with 6-7k.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GimmeLSx
How many owners? Any maintenance history records? Clear title or salvage? Are there any other issues? Each of those factors will affect its value.
To answer your questions:

1) I am the second owner. I bought it in 2000 with about 20k miles on it.

2) I have a good deal of the maintenance history to go along with the car. Organizing it might take some time, as it's had 3 addresses since I've owned it-Philadelphia for about 6 months, Tampa for about 7 years, and another 6 here in L.A.

3) Other issues? Not that I can think of. I've tried really hard to describe the vehicle as accurately as possible. Only things I can think of is that the rims are curb rashed. All of them. My strength in parallel parking has diminished since I left Philly! Also, there is some oxidation on the mirrors.

4) Title is clear, though accident shows on Carfax.

Thanks for the compliments. Those pix were taken after a nice clay bar and wax. I look at the car and think, "The paint could be better," or "I really wish I could replace those headlights," etc. Oh yeah, that reminds me: the fog lights are new, too!

To me, I could get this car exactly where I'd like it to be with about $5k, if even that much. I have the $$, but...my kid's not 8 years old anymore, so she's starting to complain about the back seat. The wife is doing the same and I guess having two sports cars just isn't, well, very "family-like." The Buell 1125R is also among the dearly departed.

$6k? That's actually KBB Fair Trade Value. A possibility for the right person. Here's a pic of the GXP just for $#!TS and giggles, along with a few more of the Z.
Attached Thumbnails Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible-summer-top-up.jpg   Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible-20130526_164213.jpg   Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible-541874_10200203428276870_1878537965_n.jpg   Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible-9667_10200203426916836_1792687130_n.jpg  

Last edited by flowride; 07-01-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention title history.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Teching In

BTW...it might be a couple of days before I list it on ebay/craigslist. If you or someone you know might be interested, drop me a PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

KBB will always appraise higher than what you'll actually get.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00MaroonZ28
KBB will always appraise higher than what you'll actually get.
Agreed. It also depends on what you're looking at. I almost traded it in on a Fiat Abarth last year and the dealer was ready to give me $6k trade. This was before I put the carpet and front seats in.

In any event, the mere thought of selling her after all these years is, in fact, gutwrenching.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Gorgeous Solstice! The curb rash on all 4 wheels is indeed another negative. Maybe that $9,000 asking price is too optimistic but still it is a starting point and everyone expects to 'dicker'.
I find KBB to be a very useful tool for generic pricing and they are even getting better with low mileage 'premiums'. They are indeed higher than NADA, and especially Edmunds, but I feel they are more 'in touch' from what I've experienced over the many years.
Be careful with CL. Don't have anyone come to your home to see the car. I'm sure you know the drill. If I had kids at home I wouldn't put a car on CL if they paid me.
Again, GLWS!
Old 07-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Gorgeous Solstice! The curb rash on all 4 wheels is indeed another negative. Maybe that $9,000 asking price is too optimistic but still it is a starting point and everyone expects to 'dicker'.
I find KBB to be a very useful tool for generic pricing and they are even getting better with low mileage 'premiums'. They are indeed higher than NADA, and especially Edmunds, but I feel they are more 'in touch' from what I've experienced over the many years.
Be careful with CL. Don't have anyone come to your home to see the car. I'm sure you know the drill. If I had kids at home I wouldn't put a car on CL if they paid me.
Again, GLWS!
Good advice with craigslist...probably going to pass. Now that I think about it, I remember the disaster of selling my Buell on that site. Auto Trader, ebay...that's about it. Ugh...I do NOT want to sell this car. Thanks for the comps on the Solstice. Once the Camaro is sold, she will likely get the factory ECU upgrade, a new exhaust, and a ram air intake.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Teching In

It sounds like you have some good positive points that will help with the value. However, the market is completely saturated with these cars right now, which means a lot of competition for you to sell against. Good luck though and hopefully you find that one buyer who loves the car and is willing to pay your asking price.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Well...she's listed on ebay. I am not happy about this at all, but reality is that I need a family car. NC01TA, I am jealous, by the way. My very first car was a black T-top, 1986 Monte Carlo SS. Who knows? Maybe after the family car has been purchased, I'll end up at Mecum looking for one of those again. The wife will have me sleeping in the garage, but sometimes, you just gotta say "What the ____ and make your move." LOL!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

What a wonderful ad and I feel a very good price. I'd take a gamble on it if I wanted an LS1 'vert for under $10,000. Heck, you could put $2,500 into it and have nice ride for $9,000. I'll be surprised if you don't get some serious action. Here is the link for others to see. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28-Convertible-2-Door-5-7L-/251298816450?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a8293a1c2
Since you like G-bodies here is a shot of my '87 at a recent GA car show. Got a 'Top 10' trophy which is always nice. Also the 'Tail of the Dragon' along the TN/NC state line taken last summer. Click on the photos to enlarge if you want, just like yours..
Attachment 408618

Attachment 408619

Last edited by NC01TA; 10-03-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Teching In

What a wonderful ad and I feel a very good price. I'd take a gamble on it if I wanted an LS1 'vert for under $10,000. Heck, you could put $2,500 into it and have nice ride for $9,000. I'll be surprised if you don't get some serious action. Here is the link for others to see. Chevrolet : Camaro Z28 in Chevrolet | eBay Motors

Since you like G-bodies here is a shot of my '87 at a recent GA car show. Got a 'Top 10' trophy which is always nice. Also the 'Tail of the Dragon' along the TN/NC state line taken last summer. Click on the photos to enlarge if you want, just like yours..
Attachment 408618

Attachment 408619
Thanks, man. The reserve is $5900. That...is pretty much stealing for anyone who wants it. I'll probably list it a couple of times this summer and if it doesn't sell, I'll take the money out and fix it.

As for your Monte, man, that thing is gorgeous!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by flowride
Thanks, man. The reserve is $5900. That...is pretty much stealing for anyone who wants it. I'll probably list it a couple of times this summer and if it doesn't sell, I'll take the money out and fix it.

As for your Monte, man, that thing is gorgeous!
Thanks! Happy 4th!!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:02 AM
Teching In

Well, she's sold...to a dude in Canada. It absolutely kills me to let it go and believe me, this was the toughest time I've ever had letting go of a car. However, it will finally, truly allow me to start looking for quality retro vehicles like an old 80s Monte SS or Conquest TSi. Hmm...maybe even a trip to Mecum in Anaheim this November. Let the games begin!
Old 07-13-2013, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Congratulations!! It had to sell at that price.
Best of luck with everything and especially the new ride you will be buying in the future.
** Just a side note: Mecum is a good choice but even with them you really need to be careful. I just attended a rather major auction (certainly not the quality of a Mecum auction though) and IMO every older car had a 'buy me' paint job. Lord knows what is going on underneath some of these cars. I would not have bought one of them. Way too many listed with 'exempt' mileage too. Documentation is so important, to me anyway. No thanks!

Last edited by NC01TA; 07-13-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added info

Quick Reply: Possibly selling my 1998 Z28 Convertible