Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Nitto Invo or Michelin Pilot SS 275/35/18?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nitto Invo or Michelin Pilot SS 275/35/18?

Need some help in deciding for my 02 trans am. has anyone had either of these tires on their car please let me know about their performance. My first priority is dry traction and then quietness (don't really think thats a word but anyway). PIc would be be nice also if you got them. Thanks

GunnyJ
Old 07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have the Pilot SS in 19's on my 01. I really like how well they bite in straight line and handling. Im putting down over 540 to the wheels and they only break in boost if unloaded. otherwise they hold traction amazingly well. where they really shine though is the ride quality. They are amazing and better then my old 17" 40 series tires. They are more or less silent in road noise too. This is due in large part to them having a soft side wall. They also have a nice lip protector built into them to help keep your wheels looking new.

I made a lot of changes to my car when I put these on so I am reluctant to make the following statement. A downside might be the soft side wall though. To be fair it maybe just more tweaking on my shocks to get everything to play well together as I know these tires are used on GT cars and other for track days with great results. The issue that I have been having is a loose feeling from the car when accelerating hard and anything upsets the suspension. It shows up as a sway in the car that feels much like a tall side walled tire. Again, I am anticipating it to be a rebound tweak from the Koni's to correct as I cant imagine they would be rated so high otherwise.

No experience with the Invo's other then a few rides in a friends vette.

Last edited by dws6; 07-01-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love my Invos. Wouldn't say they are quiet, but they aren't super loud. Traction is excellent in both wet and dry conditions.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:54 PM
Teching In

OK! So I would imagine that you would get a rail-like ride with the Invos' since it may have a firmer sidewall than the PSS. I really don't want the road noise though. Also thanks for the pics...really sickkk car you got!!! Love the stance. Anyone else!! I need to spend this money on tires before I waste it on beers!!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

IF you can afford them, the Pilot Super Sports are 100x the tire of the Invos.

They will do EVERYTHING MUCH BETTER, maybe even including lasting longer.

I WISH I had wheels that would allow me to use these super donuts!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dws6
Well I have the Pilot SS in 19's on my 01. I really like how well they bite in straight line and handling. Im putting down over 540 to the wheels and they only break in boost if unloaded. otherwise they hold traction amazingly well. where they really shine though is the ride quality. They are amazing and better then my old 17" 40 series tires. They are more or less silent in road noise too. This is due in large part to them having a soft side wall. They also have a nice lip protector built into them to help keep your wheels looking new.

I made a lot of changes to my car when I put these on so I am reluctant to make the following statement. A downside might be the soft side wall though. To be fair it maybe just more tweaking on my shocks to get everything to play well together as I know these tires are used on GT cars and other for track days with great results. The issue that I have been having is a loose feeling from the car when accelerating hard and anything upsets the suspension. It shows up as a sway in the car that feels much like a tall side walled tire. Again, I am anticipating it to be a rebound tweak from the Koni's to correct as I cant imagine they would be rated so high otherwise.

Yea I'm usually not a fan of anything bigger than an 18 on any muscle car except the new 5 gens but bro your **** is sitting real pretty!! Well done!
Old 07-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dws6

Also I'm looking at possible some 18 c5 dd wheels for my Z. I currently have eibach sportline springs on so will the 18 make my car sit up higher than my stock 16 snowflake wheels? Bc your car still looks pretty low
Old 07-02-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got your PM. Thanks for the compliment. Mine do set the car slightly higher but I did that on purpose for two reasons. First I wanted more side wall on a 19" as I can't stand rubber bands for tires. Second was I wanted slightly more ground clearance with a better filling of the wheel wells.

As far as your car goes check the overall diameter of a tire your size and compare it to what you are proposing. Tire rack is a great source for this as well as most tire manufactures.
As an example the factory 275/40/17's are 25.7" if I remember right. My fronts are 265/35/19 and are 26.3" tall. The rears are 305/30/19 are also exactly 26.3" tall. So the difference is .6" so the ride increased 1/2 that at just over 1/4". Minimal but it does help when the car is lowered.

Last edited by dws6; 07-02-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks man I greatly appreciate the advise and I will look into more as well. Btw how low was your drop from your springs?Bc my advertised 1.75 but it ended up like 2 inches which I can't complain. It's a low, but clean look.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

1.25" advertised. Strano springs. I never measured before but it's 26 1/4" to the fender now if I remember right.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Well I think Im gonna go with the Michelin's. Originally I was gonna get 275/35/18's all around on some 18x9 wheels. However after seeing your set up, dws6, Im leaning towards that staggered setup. Would that work for me in 18's? My offset is 40mm? If not, how wide are your wheels if I go up to 19's. Also are they any rubbing at all?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you plan to stay on 9" wheels then your pretty much stuck on 275 or 285's tops.
My wheels are 265's on 9"F and 305''s on 10.5"R.
The michelins run wide so in the rear I had roll the fender and hammer the inner wheel well. I pulled the spring isolators in the rear which contributed to the slight rubbing I had. It may not have done it with them in. If you not lowered I would seriously doubt you would have to do anything.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Wow, I don't think I'd want to do the fender roll. Dont want to screw anything up. Think I'm gonna try the 285/75/18's all around on the 9' wheel. I'll get the BMR or Strano springs with Konis 4/4. Do you think it will rub up front? Depending on how it sits I may do the heater hose mod. I really appreciate the info guys.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnyj1
Wow, I don't think I'd want to do the fender roll. Dont want to screw anything up. Think I'm gonna try the 285/75/18's all around on the 9' wheel. I'll get the BMR or Strano springs with Konis 4/4. Do you think it will rub up front? Depending on how it sits I may do the heater hose mod. I really appreciate the info guys.
I hope you mean 35 or 30...
Old 07-03-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not 75 series I hope! Lol. 30 or 35 series should be just fine although I'm thinking 285/35 will be kinda tall. Just check the height.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Guitar beat me.....
Old 07-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Teching In

LMAO!! Yeah I meant 285/35/18's. Ill check the height on the 30 and 35's. Thanks alot for the input folks. I really do appreciate it.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gunnyj1
The Strano springs are SUPERIOR to the BMRs, or even the Eibachs, since they are linear, and not progressive, VERY well made by Vogtland, and do not 'slam' the car at the expense of handling.
Old 07-05-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Last I heard from Sam they are made by hypercoil not vogtland.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

BMR aren't progressive either.

But as far as the tires go, Nitto makes a good tire at a good price. I have the NT05 which is a step up from the Invo in terms of pure performance, but doesn't seem to be harsh or loud. I like the tire a lot.

Michelin probably makes the best tire 9 times out of 10, but the price may not be justified. Are the Super Sports better than the Invo? Yeah, but that's because it's not the same class of tire. SS vs NT05 is a more fair comparison and between those two SS are probably a better tire, but they are also considerably more expensive.

Quick Reply: Nitto Invo or Michelin Pilot SS 275/35/18?