Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Carb + stock ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb + stock ECM?

I know some here are using their ECM just for ignition. What all are you doing as far as the tune to keep the ECM from going crazy? Just disabling the codes? I'm using HPTuners ...
Old 07-03-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why not just put in a msd box?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Because I have the ECM in place, wired, and running already and its perfectly capable of controlling the ignition. I know people have done it on this forum in the past ...
Old 07-03-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not worth the headache in my opinion...just MSD 6010 and go...unless your a tuner, which telling by ur question I'm guessing not...
Old 07-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Launching!

I have HP Tuners and have looked into it. I'm no pro tuner yet but I know my way around it a little. It seems easier than it should be, hence my reason for asking. You must be a tuner since it is so obvious to you that I am not and you are so certain that it is not worth the headache. Can you explain it to me?

For instance, what does the computer do when it tries to adjust fuel trims and nothing happens? It throws a code. So is disabling that code all that is necessary or do I zero out the fuel tables somehow?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm def no tuner and meant no disrespect just stating how easy the MSD setup is, and for the price of it you could sell the stock PCM to recoup some or all of the money, just giving my opinion, but to each his own...
Old 07-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
I'm def no tuner and meant no disrespect just stating how easy the MSD setup is, and for the price of it you could sell the stock PCM to recoup some or all of the money, just giving my opinion, but to each his own...
I'm sorry, trying not to be too defensive. Yet it seems that so many are willing to call everything a bad idea when they have never done it and know little about it.

Either way I would be doing my own timing tables. So Why waste the money and time installing the MSD, learning their software, and replacing my ECM when my ECM is perfectly capable of doing what I need, I already know the software, and its in place?
Old 07-03-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might not be getting much help because I honestly don't know of anyone on here who has done what you are asking. Seems like a good idea given the situation you are in. I agree it should be doable, but like said above, when they work the MSD boxes are pretty ****.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Launching!

SOMEONE here has done it:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...g-control.html

That thread seems to be inactive at this point though, hence starting a new one.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:03 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Would be interesting to see it happen. The MSD just offers more with such little cost. Hard to justify using the stock ECM of it was as easy as buying a 500$ program.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
The MSD just offers more with such little cost.
"More?" Qualify that statement please. Having seen inside the GM programming I can't imagine what else such a small company could offer? I have no clue what they do offer though. Just know that MSD is pennies on the dollar in terms of R&D put in as compared to GM.

And those MSD boxes are not known for reliability. The few people I know that use them carry a spare, which doubles the cost.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Launching!

I PM'ed 10sec_rx7, this is what he had to say:

Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7
piece of **** mate,

just have to put a VE table that would roughly represent your motor as the timing map is a calculation off the ve table, once that is done turn off the injector codes and away you go,

it just works and works really well
Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

I would thing you would go SD to ditch the MAF, and do as Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7
Just have to put a VE table that would roughly represent your motor as the timing map is a calculation off the ve table, once that is done turn off the injector codes and away you go.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by socal
I would thing you would go SD to ditch the MAF, and do as Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7
Just have to put a VE table that would roughly represent your motor as the timing map is a calculation off the ve table, once that is done turn off the injector codes and away you go.
The MSD 6010 uses the MAF as a sort of vacuum advance. I would think that would be beneficial? The stock GM programming has an editable MAF advance table ...

(Link to MSD 6010 instructions.)
Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

It has the ability to use a MAP sensor. Besides timing control, you also get a 2 step built in rev limiter, timing retard for nitrous, there is a idle control feature for efi, it. An be used for boost as well.

As for reliability, I have done at least 10 carbed LS swaps off the top of my head and the one I have seen failure was not done by me. He had poor grounds that burnt the box up.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Duhrr ... he said MAF, in my mind I was thinking MAP.

But yes, there would be no MAF, therefore SD might make more sense.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never doubted someone had done it. Just trying to be helpful and say no one was answering because is a very uncommon swap. No one I know on here has done it. I now know of 1 and possibly 2 members who have.

Post results when you get it running.

BTW, I've never had an issue with the MSD box. They are sort of like Volkswagens, you either get a good one out of the box or you don't.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand why you would use a carb if you already have a conplete OEM EFI setup in the car, AND you have HpTuners??????
RUN IT WITH EFI
Old 07-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3pedals
I don't understand why you would use a carb if you already have a conplete OEM EFI setup in the car, AND you have HpTuners??????
RUN IT WITH EFI
To help you understand, lets just say that your favorite thing in the world to do is go racing. But your race car isn't street legal, so you tow it to the track to race. But the closest track to you is 250 miles 1-way. So you buy a diesel tow rig and spend hundreds of dollars in fuel towing your race car to and from the track, all because you love racing so much. You finally get there and all your friends from around the country are there, the moment you've been looking forward to and spending money for months is finally at hand! You unload your race car and are ready to go, you've been working on the car to get it to this point. And then your check engine light starts blinking and your engine starts running like crap. You shut it down and track it down to a bad injector that is stuck open. You spend the next hour or two ripping **** apart, removing body panels to replace it, remove the spark plug, and spit a cylinder full of fuel out while all your friends are out racing and having fun. You finally get it all back together and are ready to go but then your fuel pump goes out. Now you drop your tank, start replacing your pump. Take a couple drink and lunch brakes and by the time you're done Sat. is gone, all your friends are now back from racing, done for the day. Sun. they all leave early and you never got a chance to do **** other than work on your race car, which you could have stayed at home to do. You figure no big deal, what are the chances this will ever happen again? But then the very next trip it does it again. And then again the next trip!

Now pretend the race track is 20 miles from the closest town with a parts store ... and you're working on your race car in the dirt ... and its raining, hot, and humid ... and your tooling is limited since all your best tools are at home ... and you have lots of experience with a a different fuel system that doesn't use injectors or fuel pumps at all.

This is where I am at now ...
Old 07-09-2013, 05:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel your pain brother, I've been there, but that **** can happen no matter what hardware you run

Quick Reply: Carb + stock ECM?