Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

More boost in higher gears?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default More boost in higher gears?

About a month ago I finished my first turbo build on my '01 Silverado and am still getting used to the behavior of a turbo vehicle. One thing that I've noticed is that I will get more boost in higher gears using a constant boost setting. For example I will get 9.5psi in 2nd and then 12.5psi in 4th. Is this perhaps because there is more load on the engine in higher gears?

It's a single Turbonetics TC76 front mount and A2A intercooler.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats the exact reason, load on the motor. if you get a fancy boost controller it will hold boost
Old 07-03-2013, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slowlsx
thats the exact reason, load on the motor. if you get a fancy boost controller it will hold boost
Is an eBoost street "fancy"?

I think it only has RPM boost correction, not boost by gear. I don't mind lower boost in lower gears, there is no traction anyways
Old 07-03-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

That seems right! I want to know how important is a boost controller? I have a **** in my car, and also have one in my GN, will a controller help ET.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
That seems right! I want to know how important is a boost controller? I have a **** in my car, and also have one in my GN, will a controller help ET.
IMO its only way to go to get good controller like eBoost2 etc. Can set limits, change on the fly and controls boost more efficiently. On that note I have been around turbo cars but in process of building my first so to get good answer listen to experienced people not me, lol.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a waste gate size and location problem. The boost controller is a band aid and it will not hold it down to 8 in high gear if the gate cannot keep up. I would have to guess this is a kit with the gate in the crossover under the truck.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:00 PM
kjm
Launching!

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Its a waste gate size and location problem. The boost controller is a band aid and it will not hold it down to 8 in high gear if the gate cannot keep up. I would have to guess this is a kit with the gate in the crossover under the truck.
I would have to agree, the waste gate either can not flow enough due to size or location. Controller will not help much if any.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Let me rephrase if your stuff is properly matched to start it is good to have.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

where should it be okay on a log manifold setup?
Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^This X3

The extra load of the higher gear and wind resistance is putting more heat in the exhaust and due to the heat you are getting a higher flow rate, so much that the gate can't get rid of the excess this excess flows through the turbine spooling it more.

What size gate, turbo, ect does the truck have?

Fix is to reposition the gate, get a larger one, or dump it to atmosphere if its not already. Good Luck
Old 07-04-2013, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Preston99WS6
^This X3

The extra load of the higher gear and wind resistance is putting more heat in the exhaust and due to the heat you are getting a higher flow rate, so much that the gate can't get rid of the excess this excess flows through the turbine spooling it more.

What size gate, turbo, ect does the truck have?

Fix is to reposition the gate, get a larger one, or dump it to atmosphere if its not already. Good Luck
It has a 50mm gate in the crossover that dumps back into the downpipe. This is a typical location for the truck kits. It would be better to have it right before the turbo in the manifold, but there isn't much space. I'm not too concerned about it actually. I was more curious as to why.

Quick Reply: More boost in higher gears?