C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

--tech-- use a trusted source for fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 04:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default --tech-- use a trusted source for fuel

Hey guys,

I know most of us use a quality gas station and one that you visit on a regular basis. Some of us however do not, and for those that visit the 'race fuel' pumps at the track please take note of the following.

This was removed from a 2009 Z06 track car. Customer uses a blend of street and track fuel but also picks up the fuel at the track. On the dyno with it and it was going lean, fuel pressure check showed an increasing drop in fuel pressure through the run to the point it was dropping below 40 psi at the engine. As you probably already know the filter is mounted inside the fuel tank, so replacement of this is not an easy task.

FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY

FUEL PICK UP

FUEL FILTER

For those of you that buy fuel at a race track that might not see much action or turn over on the fuel, I would suggest filtering the fuel before you pour it into the car.

I do not think you would find this from any quality normal street station that has a high turn over and constant fresh fuel in the tanks.

Be sure to use a trusted source for your fuel!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great info. Did you replace the filter, pickup filter, or did you replace the entire fuel pump module? Curious if the filter change helped, or if there was any difference at all. Usually, I would replace the entire module in a situation like this, based off common sense as you would do the same I am sure. Just curious....for my own future knowledge.

Have you ever worked for a dealership?,.....Seen this senerio just about everytime I have ever taken a fuel pump out of a vehicle(usually bad, go figure lol). Sucks this isn't common in only low octane...now we see it in high grade too.

Sucks.

Change fuel filters sooner then you would in the past these days.....for prolonged life.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Great info. Did you replace the filter, pickup filter, or did you replace the entire fuel pump module? Curious if the filter change helped, or if there was any difference at all. Usually, I would replace the entire module in a situation like this, based off common sense as you would do the same I am sure. Just curious....for my own future knowledge.

Have you ever worked for a dealership?,.....Seen this senerio just about everytime I have ever taken a fuel pump out of a vehicle(usually bad, go figure lol). Sucks this isn't common in only low octane...now we see it in high grade too.

Sucks.

Change fuel filters sooner then you would in the past these days.....for prolonged life.

Given the amount of debris in the filter, pick up sock, tank, and over the entire pump assembly we replaced the entire thing and washed out both tanks before going back together with it. As far as I know, you can not purchase just the filter itself without getting the entire pump assembly.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGM
Given the amount of debris in the filter, pick up sock, tank, and over the entire pump assembly we replaced the entire thing and washed out both tanks before going back together with it. As far as I know, you can not purchase just the filter itself without getting the entire pump assembly.

Figured as much,..just was curious is a test had been done.

I don't think anyone with a brain on they're shoulders would go through all that anyways and NOT change it,..figured i'd ask anyways.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
Figured as much,..just was curious is a test had been done.

I don't think anyone with a brain on they're shoulders would go through all that anyways and NOT change it,..figured i'd ask anyways.

Thanks
Still seems pointless there is no external filter.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

word.

Quick Reply: --tech-- use a trusted source for fuel