Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Grinding multiple gears

Old 07-05-2013, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding multiple gears

So recently my transmission starting grinding and acting weird. 1st through 4th was rebuilt maybe 10 or 15k miles ago but now it is grinding in 2nd, 4th and 5th. 5th has been an issue for a few months but the 2nd and 4th started pretty much at the same time. I've also noticed a noise that occurs occasionally when the trans is in neutral and the clutch is out. That last part led me to believe its clutch related but it grinds 2nd 4th and 5th almost every time and not really the other gears. Once I have some money saved up I'm going to pull the transmission but I hate to pull it and see nothing obviously wrong and just start replacing parts needlessly or anything so I was wanting to post on here and see if anyone had any ideas. Any input would be appreciated. I have a tick master and installed a brand new GM slave and TOB when the trans was originally rebuilt. Thanks
Old 07-05-2013, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

could be the pilot bearing failed or missing
Old 07-13-2013, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Alright so I finally pulled the transmission and somehow the slave cylinder bolts backed out. One was completely out and the other was extremely loose. Now I'm torn on what to do. 5th has been an issue for a while, but I don't really have the money to get the transmission fixed at the moment, so should I fix the slave and put it back together and see if it is any better or just wait a few months until I save up the money to get it looked over and see if anything else is wrong internally? I'm not too worried about 5th gear since it's mainly a weekend/track car. With 4.30's it's pretty easy to skip 5th anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding multiple gears