Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP dual elec cutouts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QTP dual elec cutouts?

im considering running dual 3" electric cutouts( the low profile oval ones) off of my 3" ORY. i am wondering if anyone else is running the same setup and if they have any clearance issues or anything thats a pain in the *** about it? i am lowered on stranos and have good clearance still. anyway, what do u guys think that have it?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

btw, does anyone have any dyno #s between closed and open?
Old 07-05-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't have experience with dual E-cutouts but forget about QTP cutouts. I ran one for a couple years until the motor decided to exit outta no where and alway had sealing issues. Switch to a Race Ready Performance 4", top quality and customer service is the best.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00transamws6
Don't have experience with dual E-cutouts but forget about QTP cutouts. I ran one for a couple years until the motor decided to exit outta no where and alway had sealing issues. Switch to a Race Ready Performance 4", top quality and customer service is the best.
do they make a 3 "? i really do nt want dual 4"
Old 07-06-2013, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone using this set up?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the QTP oval, but I only have 1 and it's installed right at the bend of my I-Pipe where it starts to shoot upwards to go over the muffler.

Sounds great, and I loved it....when my motor was alive. That thing lasted just over a year and then Kaput! Thank God it got stuck open, because I love the sound!

I got it installed a couple days after I installed LT, Catted Y, and Motor mounts, and went to the track not long after. It was faster for me closed than open.

In my sig I only have 1 of the times, but one time I ran 10-12 times, half of those were open and the other half closed, and closed always won for me. Go figure.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Ran that set-up on my 97, yea yea lt1 potato patatttt0.
I ran that ORY into a flowmaster 50 series. was almost stock sounding with the cutouts closed, bad-*** opened. No clearance issues but I took my time mocking them up to the y pipe making sure they didn't hand any lower than my collectors.

Debating this set-up again on my Ls1 swap or just a true dual set-up.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I run 2 round QTP cutouts right after headers and before Y pipe w/ 3" pipe throughout. Not oval, but the round ones. YES they leak and smell like unconciousness and death is a few minutes away lol. I don't have dyno numbers with open vs. closed since I just run open on the dyno. My car is lowered on Vogtlands and YES the cutouts are almost scraping the ground, I'm considering removing or paying an exhaust pro to relocate them somehow, maybe go true duals and place them right before cans, dunno.

Nothing like the sound of a cold start with cutouts open! but launching with both cutouts open is like trying to race in a tractor. Lots of noise and you go nowhere! No torque. Beauty of them is you can tune them, by opening / closing to the sound and torque that works for you. I crack 'em a little when I drive by people that are looking at the car, open them totally if I'm trying to get a M3's attention, but if I'm racing they are CLOSED until I start getting down the road. Good luck
Old 07-13-2013, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02v8ta
Ran that set-up on my 97, yea yea lt1 potato patatttt0.
I ran that ORY into a flowmaster 50 series. was almost stock sounding with the cutouts closed, bad-*** opened. No clearance issues but I took my time mocking them up to the y pipe making sure they didn't hand any lower than my collectors.

Debating this set-up again on my Ls1 swap or just a true dual set-up.

I really like the way you installed them, looks good, sounds good(I'm sure), and good ground clearance to boot...ill send ump ORY and cutouts and u can weld them in? Lol good work man

Originally Posted by RJDio
I run 2 round QTP cutouts right after headers and before Y pipe w/ 3" pipe throughout. Not oval, but the round ones. YES they leak and smell like unconciousness and death is a few minutes away lol. I don't have dyno numbers with open vs. closed since I just run open on the dyno. My car is lowered on Vogtlands and YES the cutouts are almost scraping the ground, I'm considering removing or paying an exhaust pro to relocate them somehow, maybe go true duals and place them right before cans, dunno.

Nothing like the sound of a cold start with cutouts open! but launching with both cutouts open is like trying to race in a tractor. Lots of noise and you go nowhere! No torque. Beauty of them is you can tune them, by opening / closing to the sound and torque that works for you. I crack 'em a little when I drive by people that are looking at the car, open them totally if I'm trying to get a M3's attention, but if I'm racing they are CLOSED until I start getting down the road. Good luck

The guy above your post did a great job on his. I hear you man, I know these must've annoying at times, but they would only come into play at certain times(scaring the **** out of people....stuff like that). I dont know what I'm gonna do, probly just forget it for now
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02sslayer
I really like the way you installed them, looks good, sounds good(I'm sure), and good ground clearance to boot...ill send ump ORY and cutouts and u can weld them in? Lol good work man
Thanks, I don't have my welder anymore though PITA.
The pic quality sucks but they deff were air tight and welded well, thanks. I didn't have any issues for the 1-2 years I ran that set-up. Like anything some people just have bad luck but i think they offer a 4 year warranty now as long as they aren't banged up from the road.

Don't forget it! just hunt on here for cheap y pipes and cat-back and then spend some $$$ on the cut outs. I would just take the y pipe and the housing (not the actual motors) to an exhaust shop and have them weld up where you want them after checking everything yourself under the car
Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02v8ta

. I would just take the y pipe and the housing (not the actual motors) to an exhaust shop and have them weld up where you want them after checking everything yourself under the car
That is actually a pretty good idea finding the perfect spot to put them and them taking it all in
Old 07-14-2013, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

Just do a single noweeds diverter in the pocket on the passenger side before the rear axle - perfect spot. This is what I did.

Bigger: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/cgjrn

Bigger: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/77ty3

Bigger: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/5qyrc

Bigger: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/ocoku

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-14-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: QTP dual elec cutouts?