Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCS not allowing throttle to open fully

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCS not allowing throttle to open fully

I have searched on how to adjust the throttle cable on a 02' TA with TCS. I got all the slack out of the cable and even took out more slack at the gas pedal to were the throttle cable has just barely started to open the butterfly with no pressure on the gas pedal. Only at WOT the throttle body still has about 7/16" until it touches the bump stop ( this is a modified TB by POTS) The limiting factor seems to be in the TCS module where all the throttle cables go to. It seems to go all the way to the internal stop of the TCS module, and won't allow any more movement. Is the cam that is on the throttle body that the cable wraps around to large? I think that the older LS1's had a smaller cam on the throttle body. What am I missing here?

Last edited by Brianbanscak; 07-05-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:49 AM
On The Tree

anyone have an idea?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was OK until I went to the 85mm setup and then
I ran into this; my solution was to bypass the TCS
by using non-TCS throttle and cruise cables. The
alternative would be to reduce the radius of the
throttle cam ("pulley") but there, you are kinda
stuck - only so much metal you could remove, if
you're not willing to (say) bend, slit and weld on
some tubing to make a smaller OD "track".

But be sure you don't have slack elsewhere, such
as in the non-adjustable cable from pedal to TCS.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mean to hi jack your thread but I just bought a potz pp tb from him and when I got it in the mail I opened the packing on it and when I picked the tb I here something like lose in there I don't know if that is something to worry about or not
Old 07-06-2013, 09:10 PM

That's what sux about mail order. You should find a local shop/tuner that does majority LS and have them check your mods. U might pay for time but u already saved parts and labor.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

jimmyblue- I took out all the slack at the gas pedal by shimming out the cable as it goes through the gas pedal arm. There is no slack there at all, the slightest pressure on the pedal gives throttle response. I did have to shim it over a inch, sounds about right?
Old 04-25-2014, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brianbanscak
jimmyblue- I took out all the slack at the gas pedal by shimming out the cable as it goes through the gas pedal arm. There is no slack there at all, the slightest pressure on the pedal gives throttle response. I did have to shim it over a inch, sounds about right?
Did you ever get yours to open fully? I took the slack out of mine (02 trans am) after the bump stop mod, added the spacer to the peddle without sacrificing the idle i can only get to 4.37....
Old 01-25-2016, 02:12 AM

Default throttle cable shimming

Originally Posted by Brianbanscak
I have a 2000 ford excursion that had the same problem. There seemed to be some kind of factory shim between the gas pedal arm and the end of the cable at one point. The reason I say that is because only a small piece was left after breaking off. Your idea worked. Not only does it feel right, it's fast!

Quick Reply: TCS not allowing throttle to open fully