Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best clutch for the money

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best clutch for the money

Hey guys, was having an issue with the clutch pedal sticking to the floor in my 2000 SS. Just picked the car up about a week ago. It has less than 42k on the car with a monster stage 3 clutch with about 4 years use on it and about 20,000 miles. I figured it was just the master cylinder since the issue comes and goes but after I read through the stickies I'm just gonna go ahead and replace the entire hydrolic system along with the clutch to make sure I fix the problem since i'm in a time constraint and don't have the time to replace part by part and check to see if it fixed the issue.

I'm going with the Tick adjustable master cylinder and a new slave cylinder but i'm on the fence with what clutch to use. I realize I could prolly just replace the Master and Slave but if i'm gonna be that far into it i'd rather just replace the clutch as well since the car will be in florida and my dads shop is in Ohio where the car currently is. Just don't wanna have any issues with the car when it is that far away from the shop.

Car is all stock except for texas speed 1 7/8 headers, monster stage 3, and MWC fab 9 with 3.73 gears and a tune. Car will be a daily driver that will see some time at the track. I plan on modding the motor in the next year or two (prolly H/C/I of some sort) so I want something that will hold up to some abuse but still has descent street manners. Right now I'm looking at the Textrilia OZ700 or the RAM powergrip and was hoping guys who have ran them will chime in and let me know how their setups worked out. The monster that is in the car now makes a lot of noise and I know a lot of guys who have had bad luck with the monster setups so I think I'm gonna shy away from another monster but I'm open to suggestions.

I already searched around on the site but couldn't find any recent threads of guys running the textralia clutch which is kinda the one I'm leaning twoards. Thanks for the help in advance!
-Cody
Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The same monster stage 3 can take same abuse
Old 07-07-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

It all can be a crap shoot. All of the companies have had their issues as sometimes parts are defective, but more often than not it is an installation issue or a hydraulic issue. I can tell you I landed on a diamond stage 2 clutch because I just could not find any negative comments about them and I couldn't be happier with the decision. It is a slightly stiffer pedal, but it has absolutely ZERO chatter and operates with ZERO noise. It has held my nitrous setup no problem (500whp/tq) and laughs at my 400whp motor setup.

Good luck. I'd stick to the Textralia, Mcleod, Monster, Diamond clutches myself in no particular order.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help so far, but I'm really hoping a couple guys with the textralia setup will chime in with their experiences. Don't personally know anyone who is running one so I'd like to hear from some guys on here. Trying to order the parts today to have the parts by the weekend. Thanks again!
Old 07-08-2013, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried deglazing the clutch to see if that cures the noise issue? If you pulled the clutch apart then we could get an idea of what kind of shape it's in, just trying to save you from possibly spending so much on a whole new setup. Regardless our single disc clutches have a one year warranty against manufacturers defect and you might be hard to get the customer service we offer from an overseas company, just saying. Also our clutches are currently on sale if you do have any questions about them feel to call me. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 07-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Teching In

I did try to deglaze the clutch before but to no avail. Still continued to make noise. Now I can't try anymore. I only had the car for a week or so and i noticed it would make noise when taking off at low RPMs, but now i cant even get the clutch to completely disengage at a stop. It acted up a couple times previously where it would not want to go in gear right away but once you got it in gear there was no problem, but now out of the blue when you put the car in gear with the clutch all the way to the floor it takes off and then when you try to shift the clutch barely comes off the floor until you pull it up with your foot. So that makes it pretty tough to deglaze the clutch at this point. Only way i got it home was to roll through all the stop signs. Of course there was no issue both times I test drove the car... But thanks for the input!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Yeah you can't deglaze a clutch that isn't fully disengaging as it's going to constantly being dragging. Still feel free to send me pics and measurements of disc thickness when you get it apart if you want. Chris@monsterclutch.com
Old 07-09-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the car is just a daily driver with those tiny mods, I'd go down to a Monster Stage 2 w/ 18lbs Flywheel and Tick Master. The Stage 3 is a puck style clutch so it's going to have less street manners compared to a disc. It will be easier to drive everyday and the kit comes complete with the ENTIRE setup. Supports 550hp too I believe, which you shouldn't be near with just heads/cam. I have 10,000 miles on mine I believe and it takes abuse like a champ when I play around, I've talked a ton of friends and other forum'ers into this set-up and they've all loved it too. I'm at 353rwhp/363rwtq in my c5 BTW. Makes no noise either. http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...camaro-firebird/

Last edited by AmarilloWS6; 07-09-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:33 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My exact set up... to a T. I love that clutch. No chatter or glaze issues like the 3, but holds my power and doesn't bat an eye.

Also, weren't people finding it damn near impossible to get a hold of Textralia for anything; be it a rebuild or otherwise?

Just me... My Monster has been great, Steve is always a phone call away, and stays active on the board. Gotta respect that.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
My exact set up... to a T. I love that clutch. No chatter or glaze issues like the 3, but holds my power and doesn't bat an eye.

Also, weren't people finding it damn near impossible to get a hold of Textralia for anything; be it a rebuild or otherwise?

Just me... My Monster has been great, Steve is always a phone call away, and stays active on the board. Gotta respect that.
It's an AWESOME set-up man, I love it. I'll be going with a Monster Stage 1 or 2 Twin Disk next year sometime whenever I put an A&A on my C5. To the OP, don't let this previously used, worn out (all clutches eventually wear out) clutch stray you from Monster clutches. They have the best service, give you complete kits so there's no guess work, and the only time I see people complain about their Monster clutches on here is when they try to install them themselves and install them wrong and blame the clutch to cover up their crappy work, OR over clutch and buy a Stage 3 without knowing the street manors go down with a puck style clutch then complain about it making noise.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the additional input guys! I wish you woulda chimed in before I bought the textralia Oz700. My last car had a monster stage 3 which didn't make any noise and was easy to drive. But the SS I have now is also easy to drive but just makes noise when taking off in first. I know the stage 3 is mostly overkill especially for a stock motor but I always like to go overkill incase I decide to go with a more radical build in the future. And the guy who is actually putting my clutch in had a Monster in his 10 second trans am which he was not happy with as well so thats why I was kinda leaning away from the monster again.

The positive thing about monster I have heard over and over again is the customer service is great, but I'm hoping the textralia customer service is descent. I tried searching around some more but couldnt find anything recent on here about textralia. However when i searched some of the corvette forums almost everyone was pleased with the textralia cluth so hopefully I have good luck as well!

Still looking for anyone else to chime in about the textralia clutch in an LS1 car with their experiences. TIA!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Well per my usual luck, Mike over at the WS6 store called me today and said they dont actually have the textralia flywheel in stock. Said he called textralia directly and a couple other companies textralia told him to try and no one can get the flywheel for another 4 weeks. So looks like i'm going a different route now as I cant afford to wait a month to get the clutch in. Back to the drawing board. Keep chiming in with your current setups and if your happy with them or not. TIA
Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really think you will not be disappointed with a Stage 2 Monster, and you're basically still over-clutching your car like you prefer so you have room to grow since it hold 525-550hp. It slips nice for everyday driving without any glazing, mines never made the slightest noise, and it takes some constant abuse. I'll be the first to admit that I've powershifted my car a time or two since having this clutch and its never limped out, made noise, got stuck, etc, and since my car's a daily I beat on it AT LEAST once a day, usually more than that lol. Their clutches are also $125 off right now because of an accidental mistake one of their workers made posting the sale (it wasn't suppose to be that much off, but Monster stood by it since it was already posted and orders had been made at that point), that right there shows enough about how much they care about their customers. Hope you find a set-up you're happy with though.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the heads up.. I was just on the monster website to look at their prices.. does the website reflect the $125 discount or does that come off after the fact? I.e is the level 2 clutch normal package with the light weight flywheel $605 or $480? I see at the top of the webiste it says july 4th sale $125 off with free shipping but wasnt sure if it came off the price or if that was already reflected in the current prices. TIA!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't believe the website reflects the price off, you have to subtract it yourself. The 18lbs flywheel will cost $50 extra but it's totally worth it.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:40 PM
FormerVendor

Just to clarify, the website prices do reflect the current discount. Don't hesitate if you want a quote. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 07-11-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Just to clarify, the website prices do reflect the current discount. Don't hesitate if you want a quote. Chris, 817-750-2000
I was curious after I posted and checked right as you clarified. My bad!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Alright, so since I cant get the textralia clutch setup for another 4 weeks that is no longer an option. I guess what I'm gonna do now is go ahead and order a different clutch setup that way I have the option of looking at the Stage 3 monster that is currently in the car and possible reusing that then just sending the cluth i ordered back or using the clutch i order in place of the stage three thats in the car now. Most people on here are supporting monster so I may go with their stage two clutch.

Anyone able to tell me if the stage 3 pressure plate is bad from the way the car was acting? im assuming since there is only about 15000 miles on the clutch that it should still be in good shape and hopefully it was just a hydrolic malfunction which I will fix with a new tick master and new slave. TIA!!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It could be just a hydraulic issue. When I installed my Stage 2 we found out that not only was my stock ls1 clutch worn out, but my stock master and slave cylinder were both shot as well.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Any idea how long the monster sale is going on?

Quick Reply: Best clutch for the money