Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Lessons Learned: Rear End Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Lessons Learned: Rear End Clunk

Over the past year, I started to hear a lot of clunking and popping from the back end of the car that I thought were my sway bar bushings going bad, or my springs binding or unseating and reseating under load. As it turned out, it was none of that--it was my end links and differential bushing. While the source of the clunking was obviously the bushing from the start, the popping sound caused by the end links was hard to nail down. Assorted lessons learned:

1. The Creative Steel differential bushing, because of its metal outer shell (which can't expand into the bushing cup like a full polyurethane bushing can), has been having fitment problems ever since it was released. According to Creative Steel, they've had to fabricate thinner or fatter bushings for some customers because either the Gen I-IV differential bushing receivers either have poor manufacturing tolerances, or because there are subtle, intentional size differences between the generations from the factory.

Personally, my Creative Steel differential bushing was a loose fit. It didn't quite rattle when I put it in, but I could've slid it in with my pinky. Fast forward two years, and it was far more clunky (in fact, it was actually scary how loose it sounded) than the OEM bushing ever was. When I pulled it out today, it looked fine, albeit rusty, so I presently don't have a theory for you as to why things got so much worse.

2. The Revshift 95A differential bushing is awesome. Not only is it stiffer than the Creative Steel 87A bushing, it's significantly better at attenuating differential whine. The fact that it's polyurethane from tip to tail (as opposed to having an outer metal sleeve) is nice because it'll never get loose and clunk or vibrate like the old one did.

3. The first two adjustable end links that I bought (linkage below) bit the dust due to a failure of the rubber dust boots on the bottom end of the links (I run the Corvette end-links on the front, since they're the right length and stronger). Fortunately, they only cost $75 for four, so I had spares ready to rock. This time, I sprayed down those boots with a heavy layer of lithium grease, which should shield them from whatever caused them to crack before. Honestly, I suspect that it was probably some of the cleaning fluids that I used that dried them out, but then again, it could've been that weird synthetic salt-like mixture they sprayed on the roads the last couple of years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Supra-MA70-GA70-JZA70-adjustable-sway-bar-endlink-Swaybar-End-Links-/121133869924?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c34242b64&vxp=mtr

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 07-05-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I clicked this thread with the hopes to see some differential carnage and was severly let down. Not to wish bad on anyone, but come on, we only watch nascar for the wrecks! Haha wish i was at that race where all those fans got to take home souvenirs!

Haha so fuzzy, the front you run the zo6 non adjustable links?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed revshift diff bushing, subframe and trans insert and my diff whine is much louder now. I assumed it must be the diff bushing but if your noise is better than maybe it is that trans insert.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 2007V
I just installed revshift diff bushing, subframe and trans insert and my diff whine is much louder now. I assumed it must be the diff bushing but if your noise is better than maybe it is that trans insert.
The noise is better than it was with the Creative Steel bushing.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how did you go about isolating the noise in regards to your end links? disconnect them and drive around for a bit or are you just going on the visual condition of them?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
how did you go about isolating the noise in regards to your end links? disconnect them and drive around for a bit or are you just going on the visual condition of them?
I disconnected the top bolt of each one of them and moved them around. That's when I realized that the bottom half was binding and the boot was cracked.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I thought you were running Miata end links, are the Supra end links the same exact part? I just bought a set of the Miata end links from your previous recommendation. Will they not last?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have been chasing a noise with my rear after doing my coilovers and i think tonight i will just take the end links off and see if the noise is still present.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by garrettg
I thought you were running Miata end links, are the Supra end links the same exact part? I just bought a set of the Miata end links from your previous recommendation. Will they not last?
I don't know if the boots wearing out on my end links was caused by natural causes, the aggressive cleaning agents that I use on my wheels, the salt spray on the roads, or a combination of all three. You'll have to wait and see.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is the bolt sizes 10 or 12mm? Are the Supra and Miata sets the same? The Supra set looked to have 2 different sizes?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by garrettg
What is the bolt sizes 10 or 12mm? Are the Supra and Miata sets the same? The Supra set looked to have 2 different sizes?
Don't know. They look the same, but they may not be. The Miata set is what you want, but I couldn't find a link on eBay at the time of my original posting.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok that explains it. Supra picture is odd 1 of the 4 looks different. I emailed powergrid and they asked for hotchkis hole size is 10 or 12 mm. Anybody know that story does the hotchkis cts kit differ from cts-v kit or some other variation?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

The Hotchkis kit has the same size hole as the CTS-V hardware.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

So for the past month i have been having a horrid squeak since i installed my coilovers and the end links you mentioned. I checked everything and today i unbolted my sway bar and i drove around and didn't hear the squeak any longer after going over bumps.

My question is have you had any squeaks with those end links? I am considering either swaping them out for something else or finding some way to work on them to keep the noise away.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 AM
TECH Junkie

It's a non-serviceable joint. So I'd replace them. Fortunately, I'm coming to understand that there are a lot of options since all we really need is a 12mm bolt and something that'll swivel 90 degrees.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Launching!

I replaced mine with some from rockauto this past week because my clunk was terrible. Now I just went with a greasable stock setup as I am stock ride height. Fuzzy is right though there should be tons of options out there for you lowered guys as there is not too much to the endlink in terms of design.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

any noise free end links you guys can suggest?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Those are noise free, provided that the ball joint dust cover doesn't get wrecked. I also run Z06 front end links (non-adjustable). The length is about right, and they're very strong.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine wasn't wrecked or even damaged. they just introduced a good amount of noise. i have the same ones up front and those are 99% of the time quiet.

Quick Reply: Lessons Learned: Rear End Clunk