Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Meth Location

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meth Location

I heard that some Cobra guys are spraying Meth into the intake manifold and getting good results with lowering IAT's. I was wondering if anyone has tried this with a V1.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ion-my-v1.html

Still waiting on my cam before I get it tuned.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Launching!

jmargo what i'm being told is that the meth is spraying directly into the intake manifold. I've seen a few vette's and bmw 335's run meth with great results. Not really comparing apples to apples since they were turbos but I was wondering if spraying into the manifold would help with IAT's more effectively than the intake tube.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The meth also allows for you to up the timing advance. If you are still using the MAF sensor put it in right after it, the longer its in the air charge the cooler the charge can get. The meth will mess up the MAF sensor readings if you put it before the sensor since it will be trying to measure the meth passing over it. I would do it like jmargo did if you can. What kit are you looking at? I have had good luck with devil's own in a few rides. sprayed it in a 6.5 turbo diesel suburban I had, it loved it... I had a huge tank in the cargo area behind the last row of seats so as the AC would cool the passenger area it would cool the tank also. In my diesel I put it right after the turbo in the intake path.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:10 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

G - The Cobra setup is different from ours. The Cobra boys are spraying from the bottom of the intake, under and after the intercooler IIRC, which there is no way for us to do with our Maggie. One of the problems with spraying meth after the Maggie on a V1 is the lower intake where the intercooler resides, as the intercooler extends past the top of the intake ports on the manifold. This could cause distribution problems especially for cylinders 1,2,7, and 8.

About the only reliable way to do this is to have an aluminum plate machined and installed between the Maggie and lower intake with ports drilled through the plate. Even with a 3/8" plate, you would have to deal with finding a new belt for the rear pulleys etc., which can be a PITA.

Here are some images for ya...

Last edited by DMM; 07-06-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh ****, I didn't even realize he had a maggie... Totally different story. If there is an E85 station near you you could try tuning it with that. Even if you have to mix the ethanol with normal 91 or 93 (depending on location) you still get most of the benefits from it. That's how I had to do it in my last car (Cobalt SS turbo). The direct injection wouldn't let me inject enough fuel into the cylinders at the time. There are fixes for it now, though. I'm sure DMM would know better but from what he and others have said, our fueling in the V1s are rather lacking. Might be worth a shot though.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

I spray in the intake tube and while that isn't the most efficient because the compression from the Maggie still heats the air, it is the easiest way and definitely helps control heat soak. When I get on it hard I can see my iats drops from 120ish to sub 110. I also installed the omega thermistor for faster reacting iat temp readings.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like you can't go wrong by spraying before the rotors. I wouldn't re-tune for it, but sounds like it could help.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Launching!

Yea DMM that's the answer to my question. I just heard about it and was like ummm, can this be done on our cars. It was worth a shot...
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Meth/water mix doesn't cause issues with the rotors in the Maggie? I remember someone did meth injection before a turbo and you could see that it was wearing the compressor blades a bit... granted a turbo compressor spins considerably faster.

By the way, that's an honest question I wasn't trying to infer anything negative with it.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:19 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

This question has been posed ever since the first one was installed, however there has never been any conclusive evidence of the rotor coating being worn away (across many, many different platforms). Nothing to worry about.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unless you can spray it post blower then I wouldnt bother personally. Cobra guys very rarely spray before the throttle body because its ineffective. If you do decide to go for it id do a 50/50 mix since you just want the cooling effect.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had my Maggie off to change my knock sensors. A couple of unexpected surprises. First thing was I had significant loss of coating on the rotors. Second was a bunch of silicone drooping off of the intercooler. Is this normal to have silicone sealing the intercooler to the plate? Car had Maggie and meth when I bought it so don't know the history but I've always run a 50/50 mix.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Brackets
I just had my Maggie off to change my knock sensors. A couple of unexpected surprises. First thing was I had significant loss of coating on the rotors. Second was a bunch of silicone drooping off of the intercooler. Is this normal to have silicone sealing the intercooler to the plate? Car had Maggie and meth when I bought it so don't know the history but I've always run a 50/50 mix.
I've run meth for the last 5000 miles on my maggie and when i last looked inside the rotors still looked pristine. How many miles are on the supercharger?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

I don't know, it was on the car when I bought it from the second owner who had purchased it from a dealership. History was lost between first and second owners. Car had 42,000 miles on it when I bought it.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Brackets
I don't know, it was on the car when I bought it from the second owner who had purchased it from a dealership. History was lost between first and second owners. Car had 42,000 miles on it when I bought it.
Well there has been a large debate by many people about the effects of meth on the blade coating. many people have spayed meth and never had a bit of wear on their blades while some who haven't sprayed meth have had their coating wear down. i think nozzle location if there was meth would be important factor in coating wear. Also i would think there would be other signs of meth use unless he/they replaced the air intake tube.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Oh there is no doubt that meth was being used, it was on the car when I bought it. I just don't know for how long and the ratio that was being sprayed.

Quick Reply: Meth Location