Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

05 V heads cam cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 V heads cam cranks but wont start

I just finished putting my car back together, I did EPS cam, CNC 799 heads and 42 lb injectors and EPS reflash. Car is completely back together and will crank over but will not start. It tells me on the DVD screen to check oil level, but according to dip stick oil level is spot on. There is fuel pressure but no spark. There is power to the inj/coil fuses ( both sides) and there is power to the coil packs themselves and the the injectors, yet no spark. When the motor was out the ignition was left on and the battery was ran down 100% while at the body shop getting the rear bumper fixed. I also have a thread in the cadillac forums trying to solve this issue. If anyone can help that would be great!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ont-start.html

Thank you, Andrew
Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you make sure that all of the grounds were bolted to both heads? Sounds as if you missed or broke one.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Is the security light blinking when you try to start it
Old 07-08-2013, 01:02 AM
Teching In

No the security light is not blinking. Im pretty sure I got all the grounds there is two per side on the back of each head right? please correct me if im wrong.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Teching In

This is pure speculation based on a shred of experience... so take it for what it's worth.

I used to have a 1994 caprice. That car had a bad oil sensor and would kill the motor or prevent starting when that sensor detected a (false) low oil level or no oil pressure condition (I don't remember which).

Knowing that vehicle electronics have come a long way since generation 2 small blocks and OBD1, I can only make the assumption that our motors have a similar safety system.

Perhaps your no start condition is caused by the PCM commanding no spark due to the (percieved by the car) low oil level/no oil pressure condition?

It seems reasonable that if the car didn't see any oil pressure at all that it would display a check oil level message instead of displaying "low/no oil pressure"
Old 07-08-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Doesn't the oil sensor goes bad frequently on the V1's?
I think that user name "Heavymetals", who used to be
a mod over on "CadillacForums.com" now spends most
of his time on the new forum, "CTSVOwners.com" could
help with that query. I believe that he has a heavily
modded V1 & the oil sensor has gone bad several times,
like 5 or so? Heavymetals might be on this forum also.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have the oil level pluck and the crank sensor swaped. The crank sensor is in the block right behind the starter. The oil level plug is on the side of the pan

I did the same thing and the car wouldnt even try to fire.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My question is how did you determine there is no spark? Then also how have you determined the injectors are actually firing? If the coils have power do they also have ground like DMM asked?

Are you 100% sure the reflash of your ECU was for 42lbs injectors? I ask that because I had that happen to me on my C5, they thought I was running stockers when in fact I had 42lbs like your self and it would not start.

If it cranks over (barring no mechanical issues) then it would be either a fuel or spark problem.

How are you verifying it has fuel pressure? Just had a guy on here who had fuel pressure from the 2 seond pump run but then nothing after that (fuel pump wire). Double check and make sure the pump is running while cranking.

For spark....if none of them are firing there is a large common problem (most likely a ground) like DMM mentioned. You left the key on for an extended period of time? Im not sure about the LSX coils, but in the old days you would have cooked the coil that way and it would have been junk. I don't believe that is possible with the LSX coils but....might check resistance and continuity of the coils.

Good luck! let us know what you find!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
i think you have the oil level pluck and the crank sensor swaped. The crank sensor is in the block right behind the starter. The oil level plug is on the side of the pan

i did the same thing and the car wouldnt even try to fire.
^this!

Quick Reply: 05 V heads cam cranks but wont start