Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 in 240sx... new to GM performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 in 240sx... new to GM performance

Hey everybody. Kinda new to the ls set ups, always been a blue oval guy (dont hold that against me, lol) but i have been looking at doing a s13 coupe with 5.3 and t56 swap. I have many questions about performance set ups and how tos. I guess my first question would be How to set up a 5.3 to get most hp/tq without blowing my wallet to peices. I like fast idle cams, what cam set up is best with stock ls1 intake and injectors?? Thanks...
Old 07-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

in my opinion (and it is just my opinion) save a little extra $$$ and buy the ls6 intake manifold. i literally have the same car/ motor and trans combo you are talking about. i bought the ls1 intake cause i didn't know any better at the time. but i can tell you there is a relatively large difference in performance. and they are not that much more expensive.. i also put a Texas speed 228r cam in mine. i honestly wish i had gone with a larger more aggressive cam. my combo made 360hp on a dyno dynamics dyno last Friday. and it would have made more except i had a unforeseen issue that i could not resolve on the dyno( not drive train related) lol
Old 07-08-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Truck intakes really run out of breath above 5500 RPM so GM saved some $$ and put in valve springs that start to float about the same RPM. If you want to get some performance out of that smaller motor you need to make it spin. that means a new intake, cam and valve springs.

If you are looking to save some bucks go carb. Lots of guys running 5.3's with little more than the cam and induction with good results.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 PM

I don't know how far along u are on ur build but I have a lq9 6.0 from a 2006 escalade that im looking to sell as complete turnkey, it has a carb conversion with msd box. The motor is completely stock other than the carb, it has around 55k. Its in my car now, drive it most days, gets right at 18 mpg but that is with a 3800 stall so with a stick it should get around 24. I believe the the lq9 is rated at 365-375hp stock, all I have the motor turning is the water pump and the alternator so the way it sits id say rite around 400hp. if ur interested just pm me
Old 08-09-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Same idea here.....5.3 in an S14. As stated above if you can save a bit more and go for an LS6 intake...do it. Picked up mine for rather cheap with injectors and fuel rail included plus a DBC throttle. Lots of guys buy cheap LS6 cams and get some nice power out of it, though after market cams are not expensive comparing to what the price is for most import cams. Keep your eye out on the sponsor forums they frequently have some great sales.

Long tube headers such as Sikky or Hooker headers help out a lot. Probably one of the most expensive purchases will be the T56 unless you find a deal. Those things are selling for a LOT more then they used to.

Quick Reply: 5.3 in 240sx... new to GM performance