LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

i just got a state ref ticket help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i just got a state ref ticket help!!

So I got pulled over yesterday by two cops they asked to pop my hood.they see my lts and checked under my car and see no cat they wrote the ticket and got me for modified cat,headers,and exhaust.I've done some reaserch and I found that a lot of ppl just pay the fine and get it done with.my ticket says state ref bar inspection along with the other violations.what would be the best thing to do? My car has ported heads,non emissions friendly cam,lts,no cat,ory pipe,and no smog equipment. If I take it to the ref would they just inspect my violations or make sure the car is completly legal. I'm in cali
Old 07-08-2013, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by z28tommy
So I got pulled over yesterday by two cops they asked to pop my hood.they see my lts and checked under my car and see no cat they wrote the ticket and got me for modified cat,headers,and exhaust.I've done some reaserch and I found that a lot of ppl just pay the fine and get it done with. my ticket says state ref bar inspection along with the other violations.
what would be the best thing to do?
My car has ported heads,non emissions friendly cam,lts,no cat,ory pipe,and no smog equipment. If I take it to the ref would they just inspect my violations or make sure the car is completly legal. I'm in cali
The best thing for you to do is to locate some used exhaust manifolds and used cats......AND INSTALL THEM. Otherwise, you stand the risk of losing your car when you flunk the inevitable inspection.

Or.....you can take a chance and do nothing to the car.....your choice.

BTW.....running without cats in a car that came from the factory with them, is a federal offense....

KW
Old 07-08-2013, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow screw cali place sucks lol
Old 07-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
The best thing for you to do is to locate some used exhaust manifolds and used cats......AND INSTALL THEM. Otherwise, you stand the risk of losing your car when you flunk the inevitable inspection.

Or.....you can take a chance and do nothing to the car.....your choice.

BTW.....running without cats in a car that came from the factory with them, is a federal offense....

KW

Is that all they check or would they do a full inspection and smog test. If just need to do that then ill just go that rout and throw the stock exhaust back on. I know if they smog test it it wont pass because of the cam and smog equipment.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They shouldn't smog test it, but you'll have to put all the smog equipment back in. Did they give you a reason for pulling you over? I don't think they can just pull you over and check your car for stuff.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
They shouldn't smog test it, but you'll have to put all the smog equipment back in. Did they give you a reason for pulling you over? I don't think they can just pull you over and check your car for stuff.
They didn't give me a reason they just asked for reg and license then they told to pop the hood.I've heard that these cops pull over people with modded cars and issue ref tickets for any reason.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Register the car at a relative or friends house with no emissions.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by z28tommy
Is that all they check or would they do a full inspection and smog test.......
They may do a full smog test.

But if you don't swap back in the stock exhaust parts, they will almost certainly impound the car (maybe permanently) and give you a butt-reaming on fines.

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
Register the car at a relative or friends house with no emissions.
California = emissions.....all over the state, IIRC.

Registering it out of state would do.....but only for six months. After that, you run the risk of getting sited for not registering the car properly in the state if you're a resident.

KW
Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

^ what he said.....that's redic some state laws are out of control....I suggest finding out what you need to pass......do what you need to, cheat if necessary just make it pass lol
Old 07-08-2013, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

My car is registered in WV because MD sucks for emissions, I just tell the same story every time I get pulled over, car lives in WV I've only got it here this week for a car show.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm soo glad I dont have to deal with any of that B.S....
Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nomoneyz
They will perform a full biannual test. I've been twice and both times they ran the usual test then the ref crawled over and under the car with a microscope. If anything is missing it will fail, if it doesn't pass out the pipe it will fail. My car was cammed but it was pretty mild, he didn't ask about that but he asked about everything he could see.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Staging Lane

I've seen that some people just pay the fine and leave it as is. I know if I take it to the ref its going to fail
Old 07-08-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Damn, california sucks! Your first mistake was actually popping the hood to comply with the pigs; you don't have to show them anything in your car until they get a warrant; 95% of the time they won't bother with the hassle of it. You just presented them probable cause to ticket you by showing your engine! Lesson learned, don't listen to everything a cop says, and consider moving to a non state.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

Great way to fly under the radar is run quiet exhaust with a cutout. Let's you be a whole lot loud when there's no bacon around.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

oh the irony of the fact that the state that practically invented hot rodding is now the most **** state in the us as far as emissions.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Some people should definitely NOT give advice about State Laws when the know nothing about them...
COMIFORNIA, has the right to inspect ANY vehicle on any public roadway for emission compliance. If you have any NON FACTORY parts such as a CAI it better have a C.A.R.B. # and or sticker for it. The tree huggers run that State!!!!!!!
They have the right to impound your car for equipment violations at any time. No emissions hardware along with no cats is major to them.....
There are plenty cams that will sneak by with proper tuning. You MUST instal all emission equipment to avoid the hassle. I only got messed with 1 time in Fresno I was on Blackstone and I had the misfortune of dealing with local PD about my exhaust but he blew it off due to my Vegas plates..
He did state a list of my violations:
Exhaust
No CARB stickers for my air intake
Lowered suspension ( modified suspension)
Window tint which was factory from 96
I just laughed as he did stating the rules suck but they are what they are

Last edited by 96lt1m6; 07-08-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Damn I thought pa. Was bad for emissions. Good luck dude. Just follow what96ltm6 said. Put your emissions equipment back on. You could leave out the fuse for your smog pump, use gutted cats. Pacesetter has mid tubes for a decent price that are emissions compliant then you won't be strangling the engine with the exhaust manifold. But either way throw a quieter muffler on so they don't have as much of a reason to **** with u
Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
Some people should definitely NOT give advice about State Laws when the know nothing about them...
COMIFORNIA, has the right to inspect ANY vehicle on any public roadway for emission compliance. If you have any NON FACTORY parts such as a CAI it better have a C.A.R.B. # and or sticker for it. The tree huggers run that State!!!!!!!
They have the right to impound your car for equipment violations at any time. No emissions hardware along with no cats is major to them.....
There are plenty cams that will sneak by with proper tuning. You MUST instal all emission equipment to avoid the hassle. I only got messed with 1 time in Fresno I was on Blackstone and I had the misfortune of dealing with local PD about my exhaust but he blew it off due to my Vegas plates..
He did state a list of my violations:
Exhaust
No CARB stickers for my air intake
Lowered suspension ( modified suspension)
Window tint which was factory from 96
I just laughed as he did stating the rules suck but they are what they are
LOL...ask any lawyer, cops can ASK you do anything, you don't have to comply; they can tow your car and get a warrant certainly if they want to make a big deal, that's up to them, I never said they couldn't. Point being, you don't HAVE to show them ****. This is still a free country last time I checked (barely) Don't bow to the smog ****'s
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

move to Canada we dont have emissions well most of us dont

Quick Reply: i just got a state ref ticket help!!