Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd Gen Camaro Hooker Motor and Trans Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2nd Gen Camaro Hooker Motor and Trans Mounts

Here are the Hooker motor mounts and trans crossmember designed to be used with their new line of 2nd gen swap headers. These are for the 75-81 cars.

Here is a pic of the car the parts are install on. My 1979 Z28.

Shown here with the stock mounts and my home made adapter plates.

Here you can see the difference in the left and right sides to center the motor in the subframe.

Installed on the motor.

T56 crossmember

Another pic next to my modified stock crossmember.

Installed

Here you can see how the motor sits to the firewall.

And for comparison, a pic with my adapter plates. I also redrilled the subframe to move the motor back 3/4".

Wiper motor clearance. I had to remove it to install the motor. Maybe not required with stock valve covers.

Modified alternator plastic shroud to clear subframe/motor mount.

Modified alternator installed.

Getting the crossmember in place.

With the crossmember in place and the side mounting brackets bolted on, I transfer punched the holes to be drilled in the frame.

Holes drilled.

Bolted in place.

Last edited by nobreaks254; 07-13-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonder if that transmission cross member works with 1 inch set back plates.

Also might want to list what accessories, oil pan you're using to better help put others. Looks like good stuff.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by zamora7

Also might want to list what accessories, oil pan you're using to better help put others. Looks like good stuff.
Though we would love for these crossmembers to work for other mounts, their chassis-centered geometry that is shared with our engine mounts and headers prevents that from being even a remote possibility without the user being willing to weld up the center mount holes in the crossmember and then re-drill them with the stock offset (still not a guarantee of good fitment). All the other aftermarket mounts use the factory 3/8" passenger side offset, so installing one of our crossmembers with another brand of swap mounts will produce non-parallel engine and transmission alignment with the rear pinion and will result in driveline vibrations. The chassis-centered nature of our system components follows that which is used by popular aftermarket subframe manufacturers such as DSE, Art Morrison, Martz and others.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am using F body accessories and oil pan. Clearance with the F body pan is great. The only issue I had with the F body accessories is you have to trim some of the plastic shroud on the back of the alternator or remove it all together to clear the subframe/motor mount. I will add pics of that.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nobreaks254
I am using F body accessories and oil pan. Clearance with the F body pan is great. The only issue I had with the F body accessories is you have to trim some of the plastic shroud on the back of the alternator or remove it all together to clear the subframe/motor mount. I will add pics of that.
You can choose to run the stock low-mount F-body alternator by modifying/removing the rear plastic shroud as mentioned here, or you can use the affordable Holley alternator relocation bracket to top-mount your alternator.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
You can choose to run the stock low-mount F-body alternator by modifying/removing the rear plastic shroud as mentioned here, or you can use the affordable Holley alternator relocation bracket to top-mount your alternator.
Link to said bracket. I also ran into the same issue with the alternator with my mount plates.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Link to said bracket. I also ran into the same issue with the alternator with my mount plates.
I'll put up a link for you as soon as I get into work this morning.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Here's a photo of the Holley high-mount alternator bracket along with the Holley high-mount R4 A/C compressor bracket. These brackets are compatible with the Corvette, F-body truck or truck water pump and balancer offsets by using the appropriate spacer kits we make for each. There's more information available on the Holley website.
Attached Thumbnails 2nd Gen Camaro Hooker Motor and Trans Mounts-img_1337.jpg  
Old 07-13-2013, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bumping this up for new pics added
Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Anymore pics of the alternator installed?

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Camaro Hooker Motor and Trans Mounts