Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Looking for a shorter plug than a TR6

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Looking for a shorter plug than a TR6

Ok I have been fighting this situation back and forth now for far too long now and need to get this resolved so if anyone has any ideas PLEASE help me out.

Back story is I bought a twin turbo car from here about 4 months ago that was in the final stages of everything. Everything runs fine except it has a slight over heating issue at idle, because of cheap fans I believe, and it keeps burning plug boots which is what I am trying to get past so I can move on to other things.

Anyway I have been having someone help me with all of this as I am not really a mechanic and he used to own a shop working on LS cars so I trust his ability but it keeps burning boots 1-3-5-6, the others are ok. He has suggested we try the Accel ceramic plug boots but the end of the plug is so close to the manifold it won't allow it to fit on to it which brings me to the question of is there a shorter plug that I can run to give the boots enough room? I have read that some of the Autolites are shorter but which ones and by how much? We only need a few milimeters to fit the plug boots on.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:27 PM
10 Second Club

The plugs I have are TR6s which are a .708 reach and tapered and I have found some tapered ones around the .460 reach range but none around the .750 range. Will a .460 reach work?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No. The reach you describe is how far it goes in the threads of the head. with that short of a plug you will almost be a 1/4 inch short going into the head.

What you need is a shorter ceramic on the outside of the plug. You could try an NGK br6ef which is the equivalent of what you have but in a non projected tip. I don't really know how much shorter its going to be for you but you may want to look into those fiberglass covers that go over the plug boots.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
No. The reach you describe is how far it goes in the threads of the head. with that short of a plug you will almost be a 1/4 inch short going into the head.

What you need is a shorter ceramic on the outside of the plug. You could try an NGK br6ef which is the equivalent of what you have but in a non projected tip. I don't really know how much shorter its going to be for you but you may want to look into those fiberglass covers that go over the plug boots.
Yeah I discovered that the reach will indeed be too short. I read where the autolite ar103s are supposed to be shorter but don't know by how much. As for the covers those ones are double sleeved with them and it still burns them. If I can find a plug shorter by a few mm's it will give us the necessary room.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a twin turbo car and my boots were getting eaten up. I now use these -

http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/9001C/10002/-1

They have a ceramic boot. Its like a clay pot. good for like 2000* continuous. You should be good to go. They are a little bit bigger than a regular boot and dont flex so it makes it a bit challenging if you have to snake it in somewhere
Old 07-09-2013, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Driftin_240sx
I also have a twin turbo car and my boots were getting eaten up. I now use these -

http://www.jegs.com/i/Accel/110/9001C/10002/-1

They have a ceramic boot. Its like a clay pot. good for like 2000* continuous. You should be good to go. They are a little bit bigger than a regular boot and dont flex so it makes it a bit challenging if you have to snake it in somewhere

Those are actually the wires we are trying to get to work but they are the 115 degree or whatever, I don't think 90 degree will go on far enough because of the manifold design. Unless they are run down I stead of up they "might" go on if they were pointed down. Are yours run down?
Old 07-09-2013, 11:58 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A spark plugs reach has nothing to do with how far it sticks outside of the head.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Those are actually the wires we are trying to get to work but they are the 115 degree or whatever, I don't think 90 degree will go on far enough because of the manifold design. Unless they are run down I stead of up they "might" go on if they were pointed down. Are yours run down?
Mine are pointed straight down. I have a c6 so its a different chassis/turbo setup all together but I had the same issues. I also relocated my coils as well.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:29 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Driftin_240sx
Mine are pointed straight down. I have a c6 so its a different chassis/turbo setup all together but I had the same issues. I also relocated my coils as well.
Ok that make sense because the 90 degree bend would have the plug boot slammed against the manifold and not all the way on. I will check out my options of turning them down and what kind of clearance I have and where I can route my wires. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Looking for a shorter plug than a TR6