Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We be trippin

Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We be trippin

Just thought I would share a few highlights of our latest adventure in our conversion hotrod. Please fill free to add your on road trip adventures.

After traveling 900 miles in 2 days on the Power Tour a few weeks back last week we logged 2100 miles on a little adventure that took us from the flat lands of Cowtown Texas to the highest continues road in the USA and back.

Old ruins just north of Las Vegas NM

Entering the great state of Colorado

Top of Monarch Pass not planned we missed our turn off somehow

On top of the world Rocky Mountain National park

Leaving for home broke after a gambling time in Cripple Creek.

All in all the LS1 powered cutlass was flawess other than the original throttle linkage sticking bad (not much fun in Mountain terrain) took allot of the fun out of my driving experience.
I was somewhat disappointed the old harrison radiator which was leaking some when we left home met it's match on pikes peak. We had to abort the hill climb half way up it was just to much. The car reached the boiling point.
It handled the 106 degree west Texas air with a/c on high the day we left but could not handle the famous hill climb at 90 deg . Back to the drawing board I guess.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Car looks like a good cruiser!!!
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Congrats on getting some more highway miles.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Picture by the mountains is epic...new profile pic?
Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great road trip !.. Hope you were able to get some Video of you on the Back roads of America !.. that would be Epic !..

Just need to upgread a few items in your Cooling system and you'll be set for the next attach of the Mountains !

Share more pic..!

BC
Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Now this is exactly why we build our cars this way, to drive and enjoy! Sorry to hear about the cooling system issues, sounds like a new radiator will solve the problem.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bczee
Great road trip !.. Hope you were able to get some Video of you on the Back roads of America !.. that would be Epic !..
BC
I do have some dash cam video of us running the highest and one of the most scenic winding roads in america but it's not to family frendly. It was G rated until the F-bombs started going off just after the throttle stuck headed to the next corner.... LOL it's funny now but my better half wasn't laughing to much at the time..... the beauty of old cars is you can cut them off without having to worry about the steering locking up.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by rockytopper
I do have some dash cam video of us running the highest and one of the most scenic winding roads in america but it's not to family frendly. It was G rated until the F-bombs started going off just after the throttle stuck headed to the next corner.... LOL it's funny now but my better half wasn't laughing to much at the time..... the beauty of old cars is you can cut them off without having to worry about the steering locking up.
OK Rocky, now we HAVE to see the video!

Good to see you out and enjoying your car, that's what it's all about. Too bad about the radiator, and that your trip to the summit of Pike's Peak was cut short. But in all honesty, since they paved the whole road to the top, it isn't quite the same anymore. I took my Nova up it for the third time back in 2002, when the LS1 swap was still pretty fresh, WAY better than the two previous times when it barely made it because it had a carb on it.

These pics took like 6 trys to get, since my buddy who was taking them wasn't a very good photographer. But damn it was fun! I don't suppose you're supposed to be doing things like this, but I didn't get caught. It doesn't look like the car is moving in the pics, but I assure you it was!

Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Nova... Also great pictures !.. looked like a lot of fun !...

and yeah..+1 on the Video.. We will have to give it a GP rating.. LOL Unless you and the Wife was doing them R rated things.. LOL !

BC
Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed, you can't mention it then say you won't show it. Each and every one of us has a similar story to tell, most of us just don't have the luck to record them.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

We just completed a 2715 mile trip to cruise the coast in Biloxi MS. 20,000 + classic cars and hot rods week long event. The ls1 powered cutlass was flawless. We also met our granddaughters at Disney world and got to visit Don Garlit’s drag race museum on the return trip back to the car show. We drove along the beach for over 400 miles. This part of the gulf is much nicer than what we have in Texas.
The trip started at our nephews wedding in Fort Worth. They had a 40 style wedding and his car club was in attendance.

The new couple riding in style

Don Garlit’s Drag race museum.

Cutlass feeling kind of lonely LOL

Old 10-14-2014, 11:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Nice pictures. Thanks for posting. The goal for my car is basically a cruiser.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good to see ya had a good trip and that the Cutlass made it without any problems.. ! Looks like you have a great time.

BC
Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, some nice shots of the US countryside. Although I have driven in the US, I find it fascinating seeing different parts of the country, especially with a cool car in the pictures.

Thanks for posting these.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockytopper
Entering the great state of Colorado

Top of Monarch Pass not planned we missed our turn off somehow

On top of the world Rocky Mountain National park

Leaving for home broke after a gambling time in Cripple Creek.
Well, DANG... Wish I'd have known that you were headed up this way, your car is one that I'd especially like to see in person - and it would've been cool to sit across a table & swap lies over a beer or two. Oh well, maybe next time...

Glad you had a good time, & especially that the stuck throttle didn't result in wrinkled metal (or worse).
Old 10-16-2014, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

V8Rumble no worries we will be back to Colorado. We have gone there almost every year for the past 20 years on summer vacation. Our close friend even called us on it when we told him we were headed to Florida and the Mississippi coast this year instead of Colorado. He thought something was wrong with us LOL. No more worries about sticking throttle I replaced the tired old mechanical nightmare with a lokar direct fit last year as soon as we returned home. I just put a new griffin rad in so I have to try to conquer Pikes peak again sense the first attempt failed.
Rocky
Old 10-16-2014, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Congrats, we did half of the power tour this year in our 57 belair. It was a blast.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JRracing
Congrats, we did half of the power tour this year in our 57 belair. It was a blast.
The power tour should be on every car persons bucket list. We did the first 2 legs last year and had a blast cruising the back roads with 2500 classic cars and hot rods. None of the static shows can compare.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I second that, we took the goat on Power Tour this year, great time and the car ran flawlessly (besides changing a brake line in Ohio).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: We be trippin