Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delayed shifts engaging gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delayed shifts engaging gear

It's been doing this ever since I got the truck and now it's getting annoying. Truck is a 2000 Z71 Single cab, the transmission is behind a 6.0 LQ9, milled heads .030", TSP228r @110lsa, FBO, 92mm TB, and SSR manifold. W/ stock converter.

Problem is that everytime I engage gear from P to R or D (vise versa) theres a small delay in engaging the gear. Like a 1.5-2 sec delay til I fell a slight jump(green light that it's in gear) Also noticed that in reverse it stalls sometimes to the point where the truck turns off, but it starts right away.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Any 1?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Teching In

if its a stock trans thats normal they engage slow if u try to give it gas before it engages its worse u can do some mods to cure it
Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pricesgarage
if its a stock trans thats normal they engage slow if u try to give it gas before it engages its worse u can do some mods to cure it
What kind of mods can I do to it?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Teching In

use a superior shift kit pn sk 4l60L it shows were to drill the seperator plate for the rev feed and fwd feed holes also remove rear check ball in back of case
Old 07-14-2013, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pricesgarage
use a superior shift kit pn sk 4l60L it shows were to drill the seperator plate for the rev feed and fwd feed holes also remove rear check ball in back of case
Thanks I'll do that. I'll have to research about the checkball in the back of the case cause I have no idea what that is or how to remove it.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

I just fixed a similar problem with a new sonnax boost valve in the pump and new sonnax forward abuse and reverse abuse valves and plugs.

This can be done without removing the trans, but you need to remove the valvebody. If you do a shift kit it will have the boost valve. Just get the two abuse valves and plugs.

Let me know if you want part numbers.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I would start with just the Sonnax boost valve because that is so easy to install. You only need to drop the pan and filter and then use small snap ring pliers to remove and install the new boost valve. This should increase line pressure even at idle and cause the forward/reverse abuse valves to engage more quickly.

With a 2006 trans you probably have the newer style pump and need Sonnax part # 4L60E-LB2 (not -LB1 which is for 2005 and earlier).
The instructions and pictures to determine which model you need are here:

http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...LB1-LB2-IN.pdf

If that doesn't satisfy you, then get the new abuse valves and plugs. Before you drop the valve body, figure on having new gaskets and check ***** available. Sonnax torlon check ***** are preferred.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Teching In

the rear check ball is held in by a tiny metal tab holding it in just remove the ball if your going to putthe superior kit the sonnax.490 boost valve (oring style) would be a good investment

Quick Reply: Delayed shifts engaging gear