Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installed Sony CDXGT57UP and 6.5 Audio Pipe subs in sails.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Sony CDXGT57UP and 6.5 Audio Pipe subs in sails.

I also kept the Monsoon amp. Wired it up and everything sounds great. A lot better than the stock Monsoon deck. I can actually hear my sound system over my loud exhaust and it only makes the car sweeter to drive. I still have the stock components in the door and stock in the rears. I will be replacing the front components soon and a Punch 3 Ported 12. That will really make the system shine then.

Those AudioPipes really do have some decent midbass. Can't wait to get some good deep bass in the car to round everything out.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:32 AM
Teching In

How did you wire the Sony deck to the monsoon amp, I'm assuming you used a line converter?
Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

did you have to modify anything to make it fit?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Amber02ws6
How did you wire the Sony deck to the monsoon amp, I'm assuming you used a line converter?
Please read the Monsoon FAQ at the top of the section. The Monsoon amp uses speaker-level input and requires no special wiring.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Please read the Monsoon FAQ at the top of the section. The Monsoon amp uses speaker-level input and requires no special wiring.
I am asking due to output levels of aftermarket deck being too much for input to the amp. Has anyone blown their monsoon amp because of this?

I read thru all of the FAQ and found no mention of this.

With credit to you this is one of the best FAQ sections I've ever seen on factory audio.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There is no problem with the input level to the amp from any common aftermarket head unit. Typical aftermarket HUs are rated at 15-22 watts RMS at 1% THD (many will have 50W x 4 on the box but that is peak output). That level of distortion is quite noticeable and you would not want to listen to it for very long. In reality, you're only going to get 13-15 watts RMS per channel at a reasonable level of distortion which is well within the capabilities of the Monsoon amp.

The one possible exception is the Alpine V-drive series which claims 50W RMS per channel but actually produces about 26W RMS. That level might be a little much for the Monsoon amp but they also require a 10-gauge power wire direct from the battery so most people aren't going to use them as a simple head unit replacement.

Thanks for pointing that out - I may add that to the FAQ for others who may have the same question.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installed Sony CDXGT57UP and 6.5 Audio Pipe subs in sails.