Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GI: 1991 BMW 318is LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 04:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Default GI: 1991 BMW 318is LS Swap

The other day I just picked up a 91 BMW 318is. Has the 1.8 and 5spd. Thinking about doing an LS swap and wondering if anyone has done it, and if so, what am I getting myself into lol
Old 07-13-2013, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are lots of 3 serious done

Originally Posted by 07BlackSS
The other day I just picked up a 91 BMW 318is. Has the 1.8 and 5spd. Thinking about doing an LS swap and wondering if anyone has done it, and if so, what am I getting myself into lol
Old 07-13-2013, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vazfx16
There are lots of 3 serious done
Are there any 5.3 swaps? Been thinking about that so if I want to boost it later. This is my first rwd car. Been mostly W Bodies and 4x4s. My brother has done a bunch of swaps. But nothing with electronic. Would it be easier to go carb or just get a painless wiring harness?
Old 07-13-2013, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Between LS1Tech and this site

you should be able to get this done pretty easily.
Searching for the specific info you want is the way to go.

LS1Tech is the master site...then the other site can give you vehicle specific info
Old 07-13-2013, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Between LS1Tech and this site

you should be able to get this done pretty easily.
Searching for the specific info you want is the way to go.

LS1Tech is the master site...then the other site can give you vehicle specific info
Nice. Appreciate the info man!
Old 07-13-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick w/ fuel injection and honestly doing your own harness isn't difficult. Just get a label maker (or masking tape and a sharpy) a ECU pin out for whatever engine you end up w/ and sort it out. Only took a week for me to do only working about an hour after work and mostly drinking beer and listening to music.

Others can correct me, but doing the math to "go carb" seem like it would cost much more by the time you get the carb, manifold and box to run the ignition.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
Stick w/ fuel injection and honestly doing your own harness isn't difficult. Just get a label maker (or masking tape and a sharpy) a ECU pin out for whatever engine you end up w/ and sort it out. Only took a week for me to do only working about an hour after work and mostly drinking beer and listening to music.

Others can correct me, but doing the math to "go carb" seem like it would cost much more by the time you get the carb, manifold and box to run the ignition.
I can drink some beer. Have that covered B-) I found a deal on a 5.3 and ecu for $425. Thinking about going that route. A week isn't bad, considering I have a week off coming up. Think I may go that route. Also I've read using a driveshaft out of a ranger?? Or will it mate up to the original one?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 07BlackSS
... carb or just get a painless wiring harness?
No to carbs. It would actually be easier to do EFI since he engine is set up that way. I can't speak to the electronics yet, since I have not proven that mine will run. But all my wires are set up and waiting. I seems overwhelming at first, but get a Helms shop manual for the GM vehicle that you are using. It super detailed. Also get this
book book
it will explain a lot.

Also there are some stand alone (something like this) http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-Engine-Harness-DIY-Plug-and-Play-Stand-Alone-Conversion-Kit-/181172749722?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2ebcc59a&vxp=mtrthat you can get, that are relatively cheap. I got one for like $100. It will controll the LS1 while the BMW stuff will still mostly still run the BMW stuff.

Books are helpful. I have huge stack. Basically I read the things I need to know as I go alone. But, I did plan ahead.

More info

Your car will be easy. There's lots of info other on them
Old 07-13-2013, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

No to carbs. It would actually be easier to do EFI since he engine is set up that way. I can't speak to the electronics yet, since I have not proven that mine will run. But all my wires are set up and waiting. I seems overwhelming at first, but get a Helms shop manual for the GM vehicle that you are using. It super detailed. Also get this book it will explain a lot.

Also there are some stand alone (something like this) harnesses that you can get, that are relatively cheap. I got one for like $100. It will controll the LS1 while the BMW stuff will still mostly still run the BMW stuff.
Awesome info! I know what ill be doing at work tonight

Quick Reply: GI: 1991 BMW 318is LS Swap