Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Bent reluctor

Old 07-13-2013, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent reluctor

So I went to the machine shop to pick up my engine today & they tell me "We have some bad news" I bought a 408 rotating assy from Texas Speed & the machine shop has it ready to go other than the reluctor got bent somehow. It had about .080 runout & after some hammering we got it straighter, down to about .030 or maybe a hair less. Nobody in my area has the ability to put one on, does anyone think it will affect the way it runs? I'd hate to put it together & have issues, but this is gonna cause a big delay if I have to send the crank back to TSP.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Good question, I would assume it may not hurt anything at all, but it is not worth chancing it.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would send it back to be fixed (prob on your dime) because that reluctor wheel is the basis for all engine timing... Either your machine shop are boneheads or it was damaged from TSP...I wouldn't even attempt to install or run that until it was right bc I'm sure that 408 wasn't cheap...wait til it's right bc if not your going to be disappointed...hope you get it corrected...and I wouldn't think a hammer would help anything lol
Old 07-13-2013, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcamaro
I would send it back to be fixed (prob on your dime) because that reluctor wheel is the basis for all engine timing... Either your machine shop are boneheads or it was damaged from TSP...I wouldn't even attempt to install or run that until it was right bc I'm sure that 408 wasn't cheap...wait til it's right bc if not your going to be disappointed...hope you get it corrected...and I wouldn't think a hammer would help anything lol
Yeah man, I have way too much money invested in this thing lol.....I just sent TSP an email to see how fast they can turn it around for me. All I can think about is what I'm gonna have to do if there is some kind of problem! My machine shop has had the block for two months!!! Never ever going to this place again!! Just when I thought I would be hearing it fire up for the first time....This happens..........UGH!!! PS, if anybody in Rochester NY want's to know where NOT to have your machine work done, just pm me!!!!
Old 07-13-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See **** like that makes me not trust anyone bc to the machine shop your just another number, seems like no one has pride in there work anymore just wanna get money that's it, they don't realize quality work equals repeat and word of mouth business.....the dumb *** machine shop in my area did my buddy's engine assembly and he ended up having 7 flat tops and one pop up piston, maybe they know something we don't...I commissioned same shop to fix a mangled bolt hole on my $600!converter and wen I got it back it looked like Fred flint stone and Barney rubble did the repair, didn't even consider running it and sold it....sad to some shops have done a "million" SBC "race" motors but can thread a frickin Lind hole......trust no one!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bent reluctor