Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Finally completed my heads/cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally completed my heads/cam swap

After having the trick flow as cast heads and custom eps 235/246 108LSA +4 since December I finally had them installed. The pistons were fly cut to give proper PTV and the heads were milled to 62cc to bump the compression around 11-1.

Before the swap I had stock 241s with a trex cam and custom 4k stall with a TH400. The car pulled very hard at WOT but had very little low end power and was very sluggish part throttle.

After the swap I was shocked the sound of the car actually got quieter not sure how this happened with more compression and power but it was pretty noticeable difference. My 4k stall now flashes to 4600 RPM with the new cam I am unsure if this will help or hurt my track times.

The car now has a lot more noticeable power down low and throws me back into the seat part throttle. In first gear the car pulls very hard and I can definitely feel the power gain throughout the entire power band. Second and third gear pulls on the highway are harder to notice the power gains but I am sure they are there and will notice when racing someone.

After a lot of money spent I was expecting the gains to be a lot more noticeable behind the wheel but I am sure I will see the results at the track this fall. Most people see 40-50 rwhp with this head swap alone and I would think I am in the ballpark and gained even more average power with cam swap. I will keep everyone posted with track times, dyno numbers, and videos.

Here is a quick video of it running but sound quality is crap I will take a new one tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...93245258795622

Old video with trex and stock heads

Last edited by MTC_75vette; 07-13-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:23 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm in for results! Trex is no punk, but a smaller grind can wake up low end.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I'm in for results! Trex is no punk, but a smaller grind can wake up low end.
IM with you on that, that trex cam was violent and pull very hard but Geoff the maker of that cam told me this custom grind is much better for my victor Jr. and set up and will run faster having more average power. With his reputation I took his advice, as I originally planned on keeping the trex.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Nice!! I swapped a set of ported heads over the winter too, and mice car is quieter, and seems more streetable. It still made tons more power though, so I am ok with that.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Here is a link to a better video of the new cam/heads set up at idle and some revs!

Last edited by MTC_75vette; 07-18-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Got my electric cut outs installed today!!! So much fun.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The reason your engine is quieter is simple, More efficiency . Loud engines have a lot of stuff going on in the exhaust, efficient engines burn it up in the combustion chamber. The late ,great Grummy Jenkins was known back in the day for blowing doors off with cars that sounded very tame compared to the comp. Sacrificing efficiency for a top end HP# has been a mistake hotrodders have made for years. Next time you are at the track, watch the noise makers, then watch the fast, quiet cars walk the dog on them.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by newschool72
The reason your engine is quieter is simple, More efficiency . Loud engines have a lot of stuff going on in the exhaust, efficient engines burn it up in the combustion chamber. The late ,great Grummy Jenkins was known back in the day for blowing doors off with cars that sounded very tame compared to the comp. Sacrificing efficiency for a top end HP# has been a mistake hotrodders have made for years. Next time you are at the track, watch the noise makers, then watch the fast, quiet cars walk the dog on them.
Thanks for the info that makes sense to me, I def dont mind losing some noise for power!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds like one nasty vette and got all the good looks too...plus you can store your luggage...nice car man congrats
Old 08-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow that camshaft sounds good! I would love an idle like that, but I know a cam that big would slow my big fat pig down.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Wow that camshaft sounds good! I would love an idle like that, but I know a cam that big would slow my big fat pig down.
Not sure what the weight is on you car but this cam makes great power all over, if you stall it correctly I think you would be happy with results.

The only problem I am having with this cam is the idle. If I set the carb up to idle around 1,000 rpm when I put in gear it wants to stutter out and stall at stop lights and signs. So right now when im at idle its around 1400 rpm and when in gear its at 900-1000 rpm. Any have any idea how I can fix this? Or is it just what I have to deal with running an aggressive 108 +4 cam.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's a monster cam for a city driver, but Im sure with some wizardry with the carb you can get it better than that. Im running a 108+4 as well, but Im 15*-16* shorter on duration. Im also running the Fast EZ EFI and it seems to get a handle on the idle pretty good. Mine is idling great in traffic with a 750rpm idle in park and just slightly less in gear. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 PM
Launching!

That's a monster cam for a city driver, but Im sure with some wizardry with the carb you can get it better than that. Im running a 108+4 as well, but Im 15*-16* shorter on duration. Im also running the Fast EZ EFI and it seems to get a handle on the idle pretty good. Mine is idling great in traffic with a 750rpm idle in park and just slightly less in gear. Good luck!
Thanks, how do you like that fast efi kit? I was interested in converting down the road for some better consistency. But have been hesitant on what brand to go with and if they can support high HP.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

It works great, as long as you stay NA and don't go over 600 hp. The more you drive it ,the better it works. If I had it to do over I would do the EZ II that fast just came out with. It will take nitrous and max HP is over 1000.
It has done one thing for me. Its made me keep this build milder. If not for the fast, I would probably blown it up with spray because Im bad at not leaving well enough alone, LOL.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:46 PM
Launching!

It works great, as long as you stay NA and don't go over 600 hp. The more you drive it ,the better it works. If I had it to do over I would do the EZ II that fast just came out with. It will take nitrous and max HP is over 1000.
It has done one thing for me. Its made me keep this build milder. If not for the fast, I would probably blown it up with spray because Im bad at not leaving well enough alone, LOL.

LMAO yeah mild is not my choice with this car, I only drive it 1-1500k miles a year so I go aggressive with everything...I want to do a 100-150 shot next.
But I didn't know fast came out with a new version that can support more power and spray if I ever decide to go that route that is what I would get for sure, Thanks!
Old 10-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Default track results from heads/cam swap

Well it took awhile but I finally had time to get to the track, only got to make two passes though because on my second run it sounded like I dragged something down the track and then it fell off when I was exiting to get my time slip. I couldnt find anything but I was afraid to make another pass afterwards but overall I am happy with my time. I think I could shave off some time if I played with timing but right now I just have a guess tune with 32 degrees straight across the board.

Pass 1 - ran 11.53 @ 117 with a 1.73 60 foot. I had cut outs closed and launched off idle. Car hooked right up.

Pass 2 - ran 11.4 @118 with a 1.69 60 foot. Cut outs were open and loaded up converter to 2500rpm at launch. Still hooked up.

I think the car makes more tq and average power with cut outs closed and my third pass was going to be me launching with them shut and loading up converter at 3000rpm . I think the car has 11.2s in it if I can get that 60 foot down to 1.55 or so. And find the best timing curve as the 32 degrees was just a guess. Hopefully I can get some dyno time before next spring!

View My Video

Quick Reply: Finally completed my heads/cam swap