Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971 Chevelle LS swap Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1971 Chevelle LS swap Checklist

I am considering making the swap to an LS2 engine for my 1971 Chevelle. I have been reading the forums and the posts for similar swaps, trying to learn and prepare as much as I can. Can you help me to make a list of the parts and pieces I will need to make this switch. Here is what I have so far:

LS2 engine and 4L60 pullout combo
Wiring harness and PCM
Motor Mounts for LS in to A-body
Accelerator Pedal
Gas Tank for EFI vehicles
Headers/manifold
Oil Pan - Holley or Mast recommended
Fans
Drive Shaft - New or mod
Gauges - new or adapters to work with metric sending units
Radiator Hose - smaller LS to larger Chevelle, jagsthatrun.com has adapter
Power Steering Hose - need adapter, metric LS to standard
Trans Cross Member - custom or modded from TH350/400

What other parts, nuts, bolts, etc. am I missing that will be needed to hook things up and make them work?

Last edited by Clobber; 07-15-2013 at 12:56 AM. Reason: -edited 7/15 to add updates
Old 07-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

I just finished swapping an LQ4 into my Chevelle. My advice is to stick a few hundred dollars back for the small stuff like bolts, hoses, belts, adapters, etc. A few small things you will need for sure are:

Adapters for your gauge sending units. If you plan to run to factory gauges you will need to adapt the standard sending units to the metric LS engine.

A way to hook the LS2 steam line into your coolant system. Jags that run make a variety of adapters that will allow you to splice the smaller LS upper radiator hose to the larger Chevelle upper radiator hose and also provides a port to connect the steam line. Another option would be to drill/tap your water pump and add a fitting to connect the steam line.

Power steering hoses, power steering box, or adapters. If you are running power steering you will need to find a way to connect the metric LS pump to the standard Chevelle box. This would be a perfect time to upgrade the power steering on your Chevelle to a Jeep Grand Cherokee box. It has the correct metric fittings to connect the LS pump and hoses to. It also adds a much sportier feel to your steering. You will lose the old school one finger power steering to a sportier, stiffer power steering that you find on modern vehicles. Also if you currently have a manual steering box you would have to figure out how to remove the power steering pump from the LS2, so you may as well go with power steering now. If you do decide to keep your current Chevelle power steering setup you will have to adapt the metric hoses to your standard box.

Another suggestion I would give you is to go ahead and upgrade your entire electrical system while you are at it. American Autowire makes a kit called the "Classic Update" for the Chevelle. It is a complete harness for the car's electrical system. It upgrades your system to use blade type fuses. The main advantage with the system is it has dedicated circuits for a PCM (constant 12v and keyed 12v), electric fuel pump, and electric fans. It made mine a lot easier to integrate the engine into the car's electrical system.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You for got one main item... the oil pan !

If casted... suggest the Holley or MAST pans. If steel, then the Auto raft.

Drive shaft new or mod'd...

Fan's...

Trans cross member. Custom or a OEM one can be mod'd (TH350/400).

Just of add a few more items.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
Fans...

Can you explain this one a little more? What are my options? What do most people do? What is the least expensive?
Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have many options from new to used, PCM controlled to standalone systems. Single or duel. Its your choice... the options are endless... I am sure everyone will ping in with there greatest suggestion LOL..

Many have used Junkyard pull offs. Tauras fan are a common choice. F-Body duels are common also. You can find eBay setup with radiator and fan setups fairly cheaply.

Read through some of the build threads to see if there is a setup the you either like or you thing will work best for your car and budget.

Also for a cheap tank setup, look at the late (94-96) B-body (Impala, Roadmaster) gas tanks, I have one in my Chevelle. It just fits. It is set up for EFI, baffled and can accept a upgraded pump. Fuel sender is the same ohms range as your Chevelle would be.

BC
Old 07-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

I got a 3 row aluminum radiator with dual fans from Ebay. It was made by Champion Radiators. It was a very well made radiator, but I don't know how good it cooled. It, along with some other parts, were stolen before I got to install them. Regardless I got to use the fans that came with the radiator. They move a good bit of air and are fairly quiet. I gave under $300 for the radiator, 2 fans, and shipping. I want to say it was closer to $275 but I am not positive.

Quick Reply: 1971 Chevelle LS swap Checklist