Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

My CTS-V story

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My CTS-V story

I got my CTS-V in January and in February I swerved to try and miss a deer and went down a fence row and side swiped the passenger side. The car totalled and I bought it back. The damage was relatively light but with cost of all new parts it racked it up to over $13000 worth of damage. After 4 months I finally pulled it in 2 weeks ago and this is the end result. I put 2 doors and a fender on. I had to replace 1 rocker molding and passenger mirror. The fender and doors were all repairable but with such a low cost on used sheetmetal it was much easier to swap. On the rear I had bought a whole rear cradle and used the upper and lower control arms and the hub assembly. I have repainted the car all over a shade different to a Ruby Red and I plati dipped the grille and will probably do the wheels as they are a lil scratched up on the one side. I tinted the window 5% and plan on lowering it soon. Before and after pics attached from when I bought it, wrecked it and now.
Attached Thumbnails My CTS-V story-cts-v.jpg   My CTS-V story-imag0796.jpg   My CTS-V story-imag0795.jpg   My CTS-V story-imag0793.jpg   My CTS-V story-imag0865.jpg  

Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Congrats on the recovery man, the color looks great!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you have the paint code for that color? Reds are very, very hard for cameras to photograph correctly. How would you describe it compared to infrared/redline? Brighter? Or about the same? Is it metallic with a little bit of light flake, or something else?
Old 07-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Teching In

I hate to admit it but it is a ford color. RR. It is the newest color on the F-150's focuses etc. It is brighter. The midcoat on the redline looks like a light pink water. The Base color is a light color but the mid coat really darkens it up. The paint cost on the Ruby Red normally is $1400 a gallon and the Redline was $1100 but my guy gave me 40% off of either being as I was doing it on my own car. Thank goodness...

I had done some spray outs with the redline and it just seamed a lil blah to me and I like different. Once I had him mix me a 1/2 pint of the Ruby Red and seen it in the can I knew it would work.
I put down 3 coats of base with the last one being a fog coat and then layed down 2 coats of mid with a third being a nice fog coat. This color looks darker in the shade and pops in the sun. I couldnt decide on the crystal red on the newer models or the redline and then one day I seen a Ruby Red on a new F150 with a flat black accent stripe down the side with a black grill and I said that is it. So with it being a rebuilt title car now I figured what the hell. It isnt going to hurt value and its honestly close enough that the jambs are hardly noticiable. The light is what makes the difference on this color is my opinion.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Teching In

And as far as the flake size, it is much more noticable in the light than the redline. The amount of pearl in it makes the huge difference in the light. The redline microns pearl is much smaller and hardly noticable to me compared to the Ruby. Of course its not bass boat big, just alot more noticable...
Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

You did a good job restoring that. Also you painted it urself? Great job
Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats man, thats a hell of a story!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love that color. Nice!

Sure wasn't much damage to be considered totaled. Suppose you got a salvage title.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the comps. I do body work as a side gig so it was a no brainer to buy it back. It scratched the lense on the headlight and cracked the front bumper cover in which I repaired them both. It was over $13000 worth of damage but I only spent $2200 for all parts, paint supplies etc. Unfortunately the car has a KY rebuilt title but I know what little damage it has and have alot of pics along with the damage parts in case I ever sell. It is just basically a high insurance job with high dollar parts that needed replaced according to them.

If you look beside it I bought a 8800 mile G8 Gt 3 weeks ago because my plan was to fix the v and sell it. Well since I got it done I have decided to sell the G8 and keep the V. It just looks too good and I honestly only drove it a dozen times before the wreck so I havent even enjoyed it yet. I had a G8 last yr and regretted selling it and after a couple failed attempts to buy another G8 I broke down and bought the V. With the G8 the miles are so low I dont want to drive it and I told myself when I sold my liquid red one I would only buy a white hot one and I ended up getting this panther black metallic one.

If anyone is looking for a 9400 mile G8 GT I am selling it for $25500 obo

Quick Reply: My CTS-V story