Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Without O2 Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Harness Without O2 Sensors

I have a brand new harness without O2 sensors. I got it cheap hoping it will work for a street truck with an ls2 swap. I'm getting ready to assemble the engine and looking to prevent problems once it's together to get it on the road asap, but want to do it right the first time. Here's the set-up:

Stock bore and stroke LS2
L92 Heads and LS3 intake with an NW 90mm cable TB
Lunati 222 228 @ .050 and .568 .568 on 113 lea
24 tooth, 2x cam gear
Tremec RS 500 5 speed manual
HP Tuners software

My question is, when I get this thing fired am I going to kick myself in the *** for not having O2 sensors? How hard will it be to tune without them? What are my options? Can I add in the sensors to the harness? If so, where do I find a pin diagram or accurate info on how to do it? I've come up empty handed doing searches, so any help is appreciated. Thanks, guys.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of my pet peeves. A street driven vehicle needs to have O2 sensors. They are there for a reason. It would be different if this were stricly a race car or an off road vehicle only.

I see this all the time, gearheads looking for the cheapest harness available. I get call after call of people checking prices and never calling back because they found a harness for $300.

On something so important as an engine harness I have no idea why anyone would want to skimp on an engine harness that could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry, that was my soap box. If I were you, I would add them in. It will make for better driveablility, and help with the variables that can happen out on the road. Im sure some will disagree, but that is just my .02.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hotswap
I have a brand new harness without O2 sensors. I got it cheap hoping it will work for a street truck with an ls2 swap. I'm getting ready to assemble the engine and looking to prevent problems once it's together to get it on the road asap, but want to do it right the first time. Here's the set-up:

Stock bore and stroke LS2
L92 Heads and LS3 intake with an NW 90mm cable TB
Lunati 222 228 @ .050 and .568 .568 on 113 lea
24 tooth, 2x cam gear
Tremec RS 500 5 speed manual
HP Tuners software

My question is, when I get this thing fired am I going to kick myself in the *** for not having O2 sensors? How hard will it be to tune without them? What are my options? Can I add in the sensors to the harness? If so, where do I find a pin diagram or accurate info on how to do it? I've come up empty handed doing searches, so any help is appreciated. Thanks, guys.
I have tuned many OLSD setups with HPTuners with no front or rear 02's or MAF. Just get a good tuner or purchase hptuners a have at it, it's awesome. Every car I have tuned has run flawless with no drawbacks in my opinion.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BP Automotive
This is one of my pet peeves. A street driven vehicle needs to have O2 sensors. They are there for a reason. It would be different if this were stricly a race car or an off road vehicle only.

I see this all the time, gearheads looking for the cheapest harness available. I get call after call of people checking prices and never calling back because they found a harness for $300.

On something so important as an engine harness I have no idea why anyone would want to skimp on an engine harness that could leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Sorry, that was my soap box. If I were you, I would add them in. It will make for better driveablility, and help with the variables that can happen out on the road. Im sure some will disagree, but that is just my .02.

Do you have the sensors and the leads that go all the way to the ECU for sale? Also, I don't think this harness has knock sensors since it's a race harness. Do you think I should add in knocks too? Probably not as important as O2's, but necessary?
Thanks!
Old 07-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Teching In

If you run a Wide Band O2 sensor and watch things and do your own tuning there is no need for O2 sensors. They are not needed for EFI and are part of emissions to keep tune at Stoich mainly for CAT converters.

Even though I have O2 sensors? I run OL most of the time... my WB is more accurate.

That said they do work well for changes in temperatures, humidity, elevation etc... daily driver.

Knock sensors to me are always needed, they are permanent and constant last resort to protect from engine damage!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 AM
TECH Regular

What most of these guys have said. I don't run any factory O2's on mine. OLSD, and a pair of PLX widebands for tuning. You do have to stay on top of the tune though.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

So, if I want to tune this thing for the street and leave it alone, should I pin O2's and knocks into my existing harness and call it a day? I don't want to have to "stay on top of it". I just want to get this swap done, get a nice street tune on it and drive it. I probably should have ordered the right harness in the first place, right?
Old 07-21-2013, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

I would say if you want the most OEM type behavior than O2's are probably in order. Getting them in to the harness is no big deal. I would either call the folks that made your harness and have them either:
1. Send them the harness back and have them add them.
2. Have them create a separate mini-harness for the front O2 connectors and you pin them in to the PCM plugs yourself.

Option 2 is not that hard. Look at some of the threads about re-pinning a 98 Fbody harness for instructions on how to take the connectors apart and where to plug the wires in. I think there should only be 4 wires per O2, so not to monumental a task to complete for the DIY'er.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
I would say if you want the most OEM type behavior than O2's are probably in order. Getting them in to the harness is no big deal. I would either call the folks that made your harness and have them either:
1. Send them the harness back and have them add them.
2. Have them create a separate mini-harness for the front O2 connectors and you pin them in to the PCM plugs yourself.

Option 2 is not that hard. Look at some of the threads about re-pinning a 98 Fbody harness for instructions on how to take the connectors apart and where to plug the wires in. I think there should only be 4 wires per O2, so not to monumental a task to complete for the DIY'er.
Thanks, 96! Same process with the knocks, right?

Quick Reply: Harness Without O2 Sensors