Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Dodge Ram Tops Consumer Reports Fullsize Truck Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dodge Ram Tops Consumer Reports Fullsize Truck Test

Ram 1500 delivers impressive class-leading performance

YONKERS, NY- The freshened 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 now tops Consumer Reports' rankings of, full-size pickups, delivering impressive performance and outpointing strong competitors, both domestic and foreign.

"The Ram 1500 is surprisingly luxurious and refined-but still fully capable of doing hard work when needed," said Jake Fisher, director of Consumer Reports' Auto Test Center in East Haddam, Connecticut. "Continued interior and powertrain improvements make the Ram a particularly well-rounded choice."

For 2013, the Ram got a lighter and stiffer frame, a revised interior with a new infotainment system, and updated powertrains. Consumer Reports tested a four-wheel-drive Ram 1500 Crew Cab, with the most popular engine option-the 5.7-liter Hemi V8-and the new efficient eight-speed automatic transmission. The combination delivers seamless power and still returns a class-leading 15 mpg overall in CR's own fuel economy tests.

The complete tests and ratings of the Ram 1500 appear on www.ConsumerReports.org. Updated daily, ConsumerReports.org is the go-to Website for the latest auto reviews, product news, blogs on breaking news and car buying information. Check out CR's ongoing Twitter feed at @CRCars.

The Ram 1500 earned a 78-point overall road test score. Other tested full-size pickups include, the Toyota Tundra (69) and the iconic Ford F-150 (68). Consumer Reports is evaluating the redesigned 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and will announce its findings later this summer. First impressions are that the Silverado is a well-rounded and refined truck that will strongly challenge the Ram in our Ratings. Ford's F-150 will be redesigned for 2015.

While the Chevrolet Avalanche currently outscores the Ram by two points, Avalanche production ended after the current 2013 model year.

Prior versions of the Ram have been reliable so Consumer Reports is Recommending the freshened truck. To be Recommended, a vehicle must perform well in CR's battery of tests, have average or better reliability in CR's Annual Auto Survey and perform well in government and industry crash tests.

The Ram delivers the best ride of any pickup, thanks to its unique coil spring rear suspension. It has a super-quiet, super-roomy crew cab, and the optional UConnect infotainment touch screen is the best in the business. On the downside, the step up to the cabin is very high, and-unlike some other pickups-the Ram's tailgate isn't damped or sprung, so it's heavy.

Consumer Reports is the world's largest independent product-testing organization. Using its more than 50 labs, auto test center, and survey research center, the nonprofit rates thousands of products and services annually. Founded in 1936, Consumer Reports has over 8 million subscribers to its magazine, website and other publications. Its advocacy division, Consumers Union, works for health reform, food and product safety, financial reform, and other consumer issues in Washington, D.C., the states, and in the marketplace.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It lost to the avalanche and didn't compete against the redesigned Silverado.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Avalanche is more SUV than truck, to be fair. I would like to see how they rate the new Silverado/Sierra against the Ram. That said, I like the new Rams a lot. I wish GM would have gone bigger with the 5.3 numbers than they did. The Hemi still owns it in HP/TQ, and the coming Fords will likely best the 5.3's HP/TQ numbers as well as MPGs.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm dying to hear how the new diesel performs in the 2014 ram 1500 truck... Most likely its what I'll be buying since they were the first to bring a diesel to the 1/2 ton market.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
The Avalanche is more SUV than truck
This needs reiterated (it's a Suburban with a bed!) -- and all the more reason CR is bunk. That they would test a new truck against a dead platform just goes to show their lack of credibility.

Further, this simply goes to show that people buy on looks and not really reliability. Anyone who has followed trucks since, well, forever, knows the Dodge is "junk" with the only redeeming quality being one that is Cummins-powered. I do not know a single person who has ever owned a Ram who hasn't had "nickel & dime" issues, rust, and transmission issues (and this goes all the way back to the early 90's models before the "Big Rig" styling hit).
Old 07-22-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Anyone who has followed trucks since, well, forever, knows the Dodge is "junk" with the only redeeming quality being one that is Cummins-powered. I do not know a single person who has ever owned a Ram who hasn't had "nickel & dime" issues, rust, and transmission issues (and this goes all the way back to the early 90's models before the "Big Rig" styling hit).
So sad and so true.

My boss bought a '11 Ram, I can't even begin to tell you have many times it's been to the dealer. The bedsides are already rusting around the wheel wells and the rockers have been painted already by Dodge under warranty (it has step bars and mudflaps too). He previously had Silverados up until this last Dodge redesign, he liked the interior a lot more on the Ram so he bought one.

That said, Ram has the best looking truck (interior and exterior) with great engine choices, I just don't think i could ever buy one though.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BanditTA
So sad and so true.

My boss bought a '11 Ram, I can't even begin to tell you have many times it's been to the dealer. The bedsides are already rusting around the wheel wells and the rockers have been painted already by Dodge under warranty (it has step bars and mudflaps too). He previously had Silverados up until this last Dodge redesign, he liked the interior a lot more on the Ram so he bought one.

That said, Ram has the best looking truck (interior and exterior) with great engine choices, I just don't think i could ever buy one though.
yea, they do look nice. especially with HID's, performance hood, and the chrome 20's. The insides are super attractive too. I have considered trading in my '13 silverado for one, but like people have mentioned the quality is questionable.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

My dads 2010 Dodge 1500 had to be taken in because the rear end locked up. Apparently the wrong adhesive or something (I forget what he told me) was used on the pinnion gear and it falls off. Driving on the interstate, pulled off and all the sudden we here a large clunk. Barely made it to a gas station and look out in the street the drive shaft was laying there. They've had a recall and it took forever to get the new part which only turned out to be a locking nut. It has rust issues already as well.

He had a 2002 1500. Trans failed, exhaust leak, severe rust issues, ac failed, and the weirdest electrical issues ever.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so is that why fords are more expensive? Better quality all around? Or just because its the top selling pickups and people will buy them regardless?

Im starting to think Tundras are the way to go BUT the big 3 have been around the truck world longer than toyota & Id like to think they hold a higher candle. Plus we have cummins, duramax, powerstroke....
Old 07-24-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've always had a problem with Import pickups.

As an Engineer and a gearhead it's hard to beleive people pay the same money for a Toyota vs. GM vs. Ford. GM, Ford and even Dodge are light years better "structurally" designed trucks. The frames alone - GM especially - don't even compare.

One common idea that most can see are the round tubes that enter through the center of the rails on GMs vs. the usual stamped steel member Toyota is known for using, anybody can see the advantages without going into the steel design principles. Toyota knows it's cheaper, knows it's not nearly as strong and knows 99% of buyers will never notice or care.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As an Engineer and a gearhead it's hard to beleive people pay the same money for a Toyota vs. GM vs. Ford. GM, Ford and even Dodge are light years better "structurally" designed trucks. The frames alone - GM especially - don't even compare.

One common idea that most can see are the round tubes that enter through the center of the rails on GMs vs. the usual stamped steel member Toyota is known for using, anybody can see the advantages without going into the steel design principles. Toyota knows it's cheaper, knows it's not nearly as strong and knows 99% of buyers will never notice or care.
QFT!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
I'm dying to hear how the new diesel performs in the 2014 ram 1500 truck... Most likely its what I'll be buying since they were the first to bring a diesel to the 1/2 ton market.
Chevy/GMC did that 31 years ago up until 1998... I don't know why it didn't catch on then.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for information. A friend of mine has a 2002/3 Ram (100,000+ miles). Has had very little issue with it. The rear gear/differential did die. However, we were out deer hunting and he slipped it into a gully. Left rear was stationary on the flat surface while right rear was going like hell to dig him out. Wasn't long after it started whining like hell.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A buddy of mine bought a Ram 1500 brand new and before he had put 500 mile on it a lifter was knocking and they had it towed back. The Dealership looked it over and couldn't recreate the lifter knock when they got it back. But the Truck driver and my buddies and I totally heard it tapping, he has the truck now and isn't too happy with it. Plus I bought a Dodge Charger RT and we have had nothing but problems from it, long story short i'll never venture off from the GM again.......
Old 07-31-2013, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Truth right there. Go to a car show where you can see these trucks next to each other. Open the door and close it normally on each one and you can 100% feel the difference in the construction. I did this on the Tundra and the Sierra/Silverado and I couldn't believe the difference. The Tundra's door feels light and flimsy like tin. It just didn't feel like a truck door when you pulled it closed. The Sierra/Silverado door felt hefty and when you closed it, there was a solid "THUNK". I instantly wondered how the rest of the truck was built. I don't give a F#@k what Consumer Ripoff (Reports) says, there was a noticable difference in quality and that little test ruled out ANY possibility of me buying an import full-size truck for the foreseeable future.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

It's very well known to those who work with trucks everyday that you don't buy an import for truck duty. They belong in the city with owner's wearing white sunglasses....
Old 08-01-2013, 05:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought a brand new 06 QC Ram 1500 Hemi and never had a single issue with it in the 2 years I drove it. I then upgraded to an 08 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Cummins 4x4. Drove it for 4 years. 3.5 of those years, the truck had oversized tires, an agressive tune and bolt-ons. Again, no problems.

We now have a 2013 Dodge Durango R/T. Just took it on a 2 week long 5,350.1 mile roadtrip into and across the rockies and sierra nevadas over to SF, down the Cali coast and back home. Not a single issue. Digital readout showed 21.3mpg when I pulled into my driveway.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've owned two Dodge trucks, one a cummins and the other gas, no issues to speak of.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/26/2...nd-tow-rating/

The EcoDiesel – a $2,850 option – will help the Ram compete with V8-powered trucks with its max towing capacity of 9,200 pounds, which is just 50 pounds shy of the 2013 Ram 1500 with the 5.7-liter V8. The true benefit here is that the diesel should return impressive fuel economy in the process, and even though official estimates have yet to be released, Chrysler has promised that it will achieve more than 25 miles per gallon on the highway.
I will be buying the 2014 ram 4x4 crew eco diesel. Haters can hate, but no other manufacturer offers a diesel in the 1/2 ton after owners of every major nameplate have been screaming for this to be offered. Until they do, Ram is my only choice.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
I've owned two Dodge trucks, one a cummins and the other gas, no issues to speak of.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/26/2...nd-tow-rating/

I will be buying the 2014 ram 4x4 crew eco diesel. Haters can hate, but no other manufacturer offers a diesel in the 1/2 ton after owners of every major nameplate have been screaming for this to be offered. Until they do, Ram is my only choice.
I'm with you on this one. It is definitely my next truck unless other diesel options become available that are comparable.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram Tops Consumer Reports Fullsize Truck Test