What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 Trans Am 80k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 AM
60z
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trans Am 80k miles

I'm looking at buying a 2000 TA with a few mods and am curious what I should be looking to pay for it. Car has 80k miles and the asking price is $9500. Here are some details.

Modifications -Texas speed 1 7/8" stainless steel headers with cat less stainless steel Ypipe. -Borla catback exhaust -Stage 3 Monster clutch -18lb flywheel -Tick performance clutch master cylinder -SLP cold air intake -Ported and polished throttle body -Black Chrome C6 Z06 Corvette wheels (17x9.5 front, 18x10.5 rear black chrome matching lug nuts) -Drilled/slotted rotors -Firebird shifter **** -Replacement subs -Replaced power steering pump -Skip shift delete What it comes with. -Original wheels with 85%+ tread (Including the Corvette Z06 wheels which also have 85%+ tread) -Original Shifter ****

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=4&Log=0

If you are unable to access the URL, I have attached a pic. Thanks for all of your help. I used to own a 2001 Z06 but have no experience with the camaros and trans ams.
Attached Thumbnails 2000 Trans Am 80k miles-32275124892.350269563.im1.03.565x421_a.562x421.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 10:51 AM
60z
Teching In

Must add, I am going to look at the car Saturday and possibly make an offer. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:59 AM
60z
Teching In

Needs both turn signal sockets replaced and hatch support lifts need to be replaced as well.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 439 Likes on 317 Posts

If the Carfax checks out with no title issues or serious accidents, his asking price is within reason. I'm always a bit concerned when items aren't fixed on a car. When did the owner stop caring about the car? What else is wrong that might be more on the major side? Headlights working OK? Certainly not a cheap repair if you have to have someone else do it. Make sure there is no grinding noise both upon opening and closing the headlights. Window motors work OK? How about that clutch at 80k miles? Has it been replaced? If not, you will definitely have to make sure there are no problems. Again, an expensive repair. The sellers claim about tread on the tires is meaningless if the date code is expired (6 years). Be careful and look everything over thoroughly. You have many negotiating points available to you, and if everything checks out I'd like to see you offer and get the car for $8,000 or so. Have cash in hand when you go Saturday. Hope it works out with no problems. If there are issues, walk away or negotiate the price down far enough where the repair bills will be mostly paid for. Post again if you need more info. Best of luck!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 PM
60z
Teching In

Clutch and master cylinder are new. He is providing the hatch lift supports which is an easy fix. 8k was my sweet spot with the car so it's good to hear that this isn't an unrealistic offer. Thanks for all of the info and great points, hopefully it checks out on saturday.
Originally Posted by NC01TA
If the Carfax checks out with no title issues or serious accidents, his asking price is within reason. I'm always a bit concerned when items aren't fixed on a car. When did the owner stop caring about the car? What else is wrong that might be more on the major side? Headlights working OK? Certainly not a cheap repair if you have to have someone else do it. Make sure there is no grinding noise both upon opening and closing the headlights. Window motors work OK? How about that clutch at 80k miles? Has it been replaced? If not, you will definitely have to make sure there are no problems. Again, an expensive repair. The sellers claim about tread on the tires is meaningless if the date code is expired (6 years). Be careful and look everything over thoroughly. You have many negotiating points available to you, and if everything checks out I'd like to see you offer and get the car for $8,000 or so. Have cash in hand when you go Saturday. Hope it works out with no problems. If there are issues, walk away or negotiate the price down far enough where the repair bills will be mostly paid for. Post again if you need more info. Best of luck!
Old 07-19-2013, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 60z
Clutch and master cylinder are new. He is providing the hatch lift supports which is an easy fix. 8k was my sweet spot with the car so it's good to hear that this isn't an unrealistic offer. Thanks for all of the info and great points, hopefully it checks out on saturday.
I hope so too. Let us know either way if you would. We are always learning things.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:22 PM
60z
Teching In

Decided to keep looking after driving the car on Saturday. Not exactly what I was looking for.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 60z
Decided to keep looking after driving the car on Saturday. Not exactly what I was looking for.
That's too bad. Was it anything in particular or is an F-body just not the car for you?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM
60z
Teching In

I found some paint work that couldn't be explained and the carfax didn't have any history after the car was purchased by the current owner. Not to be a stickler, but if you are showing a car, it needs to be clean, the car didn't look like it had been washed in weeks. I drove 2hrs to see it and walking up to a dirty car was a pretty big let down. After all that being said, the clutch that was currently in the car was not what I was looking for in a DD after test driving. It may be for someone else but just not what I was looking for. It was good to drive one again and see the pros and cons. I'm sure it will sell soon.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the update 60z. Unexplained paint work can be an indication of a problem. A dirty car speaks volumes as well. I totally understand the manual tranny too. I have a manual in my GT, but A4 in the T/A. When headed to Atlanta it won't be with a manual! Heavy traffic and manuals don't mix for me.
If you are still thinking F-body in the future, please post again if you need any thoughts.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

I was thinkin about lookin at the same car,... Care to talk about the test drive? It is. 3 hour trip for me and I hate to waste it. I too had an 8 offer in mind if it was any kind of clean. Where are you located and looking? I'm in Atlanta and I been looking as well. We might could compare notes on cars?

Thanks for the post
Old 07-24-2013, 09:19 AM
60z
Teching In

I'm located in Charleston, SC and I'm down to help out with our car searches as there is not much around my area as far as these types of cars go. Here are my thoughts on the TA.

Car not being clean hides scratches and paint defects, but I'm not sure if that was the seller's intention. The heavy duty clutch did have a lot of chatter if you didn't let it out at the right time, which does take some getting used to, not really something I would want in a DD. Car didn't seem "tight" to me, felt like it had been driven hard for those amount of miles, which I know these are muscle cars, but I don't want something ragged out. The fact that the seller explained that it needed the turn signal sockets and lights replaced and stated that it was super easy to fix, but yet he had not taken an hour to do so spoke volumes to me. In my mind, I was thinking, what else could be wrong with this car. Moving on to the test drive. The check engine light is on due to no 02 sensors. I asked why he didn't have this tuned out and he stated that he was going to do some motor work on the car and was waiting to get a tune until those mods were done. The exhaust hits a really straight-piped tone around 2100 rpm's and it is not desirable in my mind. Believe me, I like loud, I had SLP loudmouth on my z06, but this was a totally different sound. The car shifted smoothly and drove ok, but I couldn't get past the issues mentioned previously. Owner stated it hadn't been tracked but I had a hard time believing it. Also, with no information on the Carfax after the car had been purchased 2 1/2 years ago really bothered me, especially with the paint issues. I know these cars aren't going to be perfect, but I have no interest in buying someone else's problems. I'm looking for an either bone stock car or something mildly modded (no motor work or power adders, ie supercharger, nitrous, turbo) I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like we are looking for a similar car. I'm currently in Atlanta and the pickins round here are horrible. I want a mild car decent miles and good cosmetic condition. I want a TA blk/blk M6.

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am 80k miles