LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Please help me diagnose my 94Z's misfires and other shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Please help me diagnose my 94Z's misfires and other shenanigans

Alright for the past 2 weeks my pride and joy has been acting up on me. To prevent a wall of text i'll sum it up briefly:

-July 4th party, come back after party, car misfires on first attempt then has a "weak" sounding start the second time. Low coolant light comes on, I limp it 2 miles home

-This routine goes every time I try to start it and occasional pumping of the gas pedal is required for the second attempt, but I live on a fairly steep hill whatever that could matter

-Coolant is full, not a very appealing color, possibly time to get it flushed (just had it done in February

-Gas gauge is reading incorrectly after a short trip into KY to meet the gf's family. Said it was at 3/4 but ended up putting in 12 gallons

-As of yesterday: speedometer's resting position is about a centimeter below zero and takes a while to rise to the current speed, as if it almost lags
Old 07-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Id probably start with testing the fuel pressure since its apparent you already have signs of a problem with it. After that you could start diagnosing the opti for spark.

Is it possible your coolant is low because your waterpump is going bad and leaking on your optispark and taking that out at the same time?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Launching!

I'm an extreme novice as far as car work goes. I will probably do new plugs and wires here soon and order a racetronix fuel pump kit. I plan on heavily modifying my car but I am doing supporting mods first. One more thing with the coolant, it's full and the temp never goes above 180 which is my normal driving temp.

Quick Reply: Please help me diagnose my 94Z's misfires and other shenanigans