Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G35 LSX Swap Build Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G35 LSX Swap Build Thread

Just like it says, Im gonna be showing you all my progress on my 2005 G35 build!! She's getting a Gen IV 6.0 and a t-56 put into her

I am currently in progress on the build, and hope to have the car up an running within the month!!! Stay tuned and I'll keep y'all posted on the progress!

Here she is.... and Her new heart as well

G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-yjftzyhl.jpg
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-qwradc7l.jpg
Old 07-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Default From the beginning of Time!

Wanted to start off and give you a little background on the car and where it has been and what brought me to this swap.

So I bought the car back in 2010 with about 40,000 miles
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-hexpvw0l.jpg

It was always a great car, fun to drive. I slowly upgraded the suspension, which made me love it more and more. I put KW V2 coilovers on as well as a large treatment from GT spec. GT spec makes AWESOME chassis braces and other stiffening products. I put the mid chassis brace, diff brace, and rear strut bar on.

G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-nlpmfsql.jpg
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-jqfygqtl.jpg
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-yxrbwxvl.jpg

(sorry the gt spec pics arent mine... I was slackin :/)

Then at some point in time, **** got hectic... I decided that I wanted a race car and I was going to build one no matter what.... I knew that I enjoyed the chassis but i just needed to go faster!!! Not knowing what I wanted to do and needing some more insight on the vq first I decided that I was going to put on carbon panels on the car..... I know people taught I was crazy then and they still do now.. but I don't care!!

G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-nrqtlvhl.jpg
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-kv98pssl.jpg

So I now had an obligation to make this car just BRUTAL because god damn RACER CAR!!!!!.... but i still had no idea what I wanted to do...

Well the decision came sooner rather than later.... not long after spending my life savings on this car my VQ35 started to burn oil pretty bad, and from there the story only gets worse and worse. I was beginning to be glad I never spent any money on the motor. The dealership replaced the motor right before it went out of warranty with a refurb long block. Also went ahead and put in a ACT HD Clutch and lightweight flywheel while it was in the shop.....

From that point on the car was a nightmare.... the shop had bent the power steering pulley causing shreadddding of the power steering belt...
That was fixed then the motor started cutting out while the car was driving (EXTREMELY DANGEROUS). I found out was due to a wire to the cam sensor being completely crushed during the instal...
And finally it all ended with the motor throwing a rod and completely seizing on me while on a road trip hundreds of miles away from home
This all only 3000 miles after the new motor and clutch.. any only 1500 miles out of warranty >_<

these were the dark days. many trips on many trailers, and a whole lot of me freaking out... with payments still to be made on the car and no type of money to fix it the car went into storage while the brainstorming began......
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-tfxzwv3l.jpg
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-tfon50fl.jpg
Old 07-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Default pullin the motor

So the car sat in storage for almost a year while I just started collecting funds. I slowly started to learn more and more about what I could do with this car. I began to see some swaps popping up here and there and started to realize there was light at the end of the tunnel.
All My bad experience with the VQ only made it more clear.... This thing needs a V8!!!!! Seeing a buddy of mines 5.3 swapped RX7 only made the thought ever more tempting!!!

I pulled the motor....
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-jbtdvpjl.jpg
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-mtirtqfl.jpg

This sucked because it was pulled in the cars temporary location in a small garage with no toolbox, or a crane.... just some jacks and the good ole bucket of travel tools.... but we go it done. We put the car in the garage sideways because the garage really is not deep enough to be working on anything.

G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-yi0l6wel.jpg

NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO SEE IN YOUR INTAKE PLENUM

G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-md4jokdl.jpg
Old 07-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Teching In

Default So It All Begins

So with the car a few pounds lighter I decided it was time to bring it to its new home.

G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-1uy3ikml.jpg

I had the car in its temp spot while I was preparing the garage at home. Here I actually have sooommme tools... by no means is this a race shop but its what I need to get it done. I cleaned up the 3 car garage, coated the floors and got myself organized with more than enough storage and workspace for me to do the project comfortably.

G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-qdp0ibtl.jpg

Oh Yea.. I also bought an LY6

G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-8emuatkl.jpg
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-1vzxjagl.jpg

For those not familiar with the motor, this is a 6.0 Gen IV motor with L92 Heads. It was pulled from a 2009 2500 GMC truck and has an iron block/ aluminum head combo. The motor has VVT and is throttle by wire. :This would be the starting point for me in the project.

I also got myself a swap kit from Fueled Racing... They may not get as much love as the other guys but from someone who has dealt very closely with most the kits out there for this swap I must say there quality is top notch for sure.

starting with beautiful motor mounts
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-fb1hylil.jpg

one beefy trans crossmember for a T-56
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-stnettfl.jpg

Brutal Long Tubes
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-w6ayshdl.jpg

A kickass Moroso Road Race Pan:
Rear Sump w/ quad trap doors made specifically for this swap by the oil pan gods themselves
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-fbnrv2ml.jpg
bolts...
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-ekam7rcl.jpg

Oil Filter Relocation Kit and a Sweet Billet Dipstick
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-hc0qnyel.jpg
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-gtqhqh0l.jpg

And Power Steering Lines to bolt up to the GM pump and Nissan Rack
G35 LSX Swap Build Thread-d7sabkwl.jpg
Old 07-19-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

The swap kit prices are insane. My buddy funded a g35 sedan swap we just finished and I about fell over when I saw the kit price. Why in the world don't you guys just fab your own parts. You can mod a gto oilpan, buy all the steel and a new welder and have a custom driveshaft from dennys for what they want for the kit price. If I had known the price and my buddy was not in such a hurry, I would have just built the mounts.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Probably because having the homework already done makes the swap much easier. Look at all the headache the op has gone through on this car. I doubt he wants to fuss with getting the engine situated. There will be plenty of other work to do to get it running.

Love the car and the backstory. An LS swapped g35 is on my want list for sure. Just don't go too far trying to make it a"racecar"or you may find yourself having more problems with a less practical car. There's something to be said about a car you can get into and drive comfortably that can also do well at the track without leaving you stranded.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Guess some guys have more $$ than time to fab stuff and less desire to do that sort of work.

I have been using these at $59 per set they are a pretty good deal IMO.

http://liquidironindustries.com/GM-LS-Motor-Mounts.html
Old 07-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Teching In

^less time is definately a factor. I have moved to San Francisco since starting the swap and be car still sits in maryland. I litterally have to run across the country to work on this thing.... Kinda sucks but I am bolting it all together right now and will be driving it across country soon if all goes well.
Motor build up picks coming real soon. Didn't so much to it, deleted vvt put a decent cam and springs that's bout it. Gonna have fun getting my new harness in next few days. I still have tons of pics to share soon.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:08 AM
Teching In

Yes I understand the difference between something I can drive and a race vehicle....
I am most likely going to be leaving the car very basic and drive able once this swap is done.... I will be driving it a ton!!!!

When the time in life comes for it to be a dedicated track car I will pursue it... Still have a few years for that one tough
!! The wisdom is always appreciated!!!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default CA emissions

How are you going to deal with emissions inspection?
Old 08-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Hey OP,

Any updates on this?
Old 01-13-2017, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Hi guys any up date on the swap? I am in the process of doing one myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G35 LSX Swap Build Thread