LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake

Ok, so I have a 94 T/A and want to eliminate my short ram intake and just put a air filter on the throttle body to clean up a bit. How do I bypass the sensors on the intake.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

sucking hot air from right behind the radiator is a poor idea.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry, shoulda mentioned functional ram air hood.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can't get rid of the MAF sensor unless you do a speed density tune, and you're going to want your IAT sensor.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow I can't believe I'm going to say it, but you need different help if you are going to do that. Sell your car...
Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

yea probably not.....
Old 08-02-2013, 09:56 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntinZ28
Sorry, shoulda mentioned functional ram air hood.
I don't know if anybody is interested, but we did a dyno test about this. A guy with a bone stock '95 Camaro wanted a dyno tune and a K&N air filter and duct kit. Decided it was a good time to test air filter and ducting kits. So, we tied the car on the dyno and made three pulls for a base line. Without moving the car we put the K&N kit on. Three more pulls, got the coolant back to the same temp first. We were very surprised at the gain, 8 rwhp averaging the pulls. Very surprising. I decided it would be a good time to see the difference between that and my ram air TA air box. Figured losing the long duct and bends would be worth some more. Dead wrong, exactly same power and torque as the K&N kit.
The functional ram air, at the track, was only worth about half a MPH in cool weather, zero in hot weather. Tested that at the track on my TA.
Things you would think just HAS to be worth power will sometimes surprise you.
That is what God made back-to-back testing for. Hard to get fast when you don't actually know what does what.
Hope this helps with your decision.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:57 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, forgot: smooth ducts don't actually go down the track any faster than ribbed ducts.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Ed this is just a father son garage project for me and my 4yr old son, I appreciate the help and better yet the results.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

Oh and I found a complete ram air at the bone yard from a 98 T/A with a little customization it works and looks way better
Old 08-03-2013, 06:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stuntinZ28
Oh and I found a complete ram air at the bone yard from a 98 T/A with a little customization it works and looks way better
You put a 98+ hood on a 93-97 body style without changing the bumper and fenders?
Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I don't know if anybody is interested, but we did a dyno test about this. A guy with a bone stock '95 Camaro wanted a dyno tune and a K&N air filter and duct kit. Decided it was a good time to test air filter and ducting kits. So, we tied the car on the dyno and made three pulls for a base line. Without moving the car we put the K&N kit on. Three more pulls, got the coolant back to the same temp first. We were very surprised at the gain, 8 rwhp averaging the pulls. Very surprising. I decided it would be a good time to see the difference between that and my ram air TA air box. Figured losing the long duct and bends would be worth some more. Dead wrong, exactly same power and torque as the K&N kit.
The functional ram air, at the track, was only worth about half a MPH in cool weather, zero in hot weather. Tested that at the track on my TA.
Things you would think just HAS to be worth power will sometimes surprise you.
That is what God made back-to-back testing for. Hard to get fast when you don't actually know what does what.
Hope this helps with your decision.
Thank you for posting this. I have both and had wondered which one to go with, I'll just stick with the K&N and let the hood do whatever it will do naturally.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just wanted to add that not all "ram air" setups are not created equally. Pretty much anything trying to use the factory setups will show modest gains at best. But running a velocity stack somewhere to get frontal air or the FTRA setups on the LS cars work great.

Just wanted to add this to what Ed said. What he posted is all correct IMO it just came off that all ram air setups would show the same results the way I read it.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

Its a fiberglass ram air hood they make them for the 93-95 direct bolt on. I got lucky that the ram air box fit with mild modification.

Quick Reply: Intake