Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch wont disengage all of a sudden, monster/tick combo(Update fixed!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clutch wont disengage all of a sudden, monster/tick combo(Update fixed!)

Ive searched, bled and read before i posted this.

02 trans am. 4-5 months ago i purchased a monster lvl 3 clutch and tick master cylinder from ws6 store.

Install and everything went great.
Broke in the clutch properly.

I only drive the car on the weekends since its a toy. I have put on probably around 1000-2000 miles since maybe more.
I just recently install my mwc fab9 and some suspension

During the heat cycles for the fab 9 i noticed the vehicle was getting harder to go into gear especially reverse.
This was also happening before the rear install but i had chalked it up to bleeding.
I even replaced my reverse lockout solenoid thinking that was the problem

I bled thiking it would fix the problem but Now its very very hard to go into gear to the point where its not driveable.
If i do manage to get it in gear the engagment is way low to the floor.

I have done the following:

Bleed bleed bleed alot.
With vacuum and without. I also have a remote bleeder.

Tried to adjust master cyl thinking that was the problem.

Switched from pro 5.0 shifter to mgw.

Last couple of weeks ive been driving it to work and back to install components it went from everything shifting good to now its not driveable.
The transmission goes into gear good when its not running. Even reverse.
The clutch and gear free rev test fails.
Engament point is very low after in gear

- monster lvl 3 lutch
- 18 lb flywheel
- arp flywheel bolts
- new gm slave
- new to bearing came with monster
- new tick master cylinder
- mgw shifter

Ive been working on the car the last couple of months getting it ready
I havent even made it to the track yet.

The fab9 was the last step before i get it tuned and ready so im a little frustrated.

Tick,Monster and anybody else please help!

All help is greatly appreciated, thanks

(UPDATE)

After chasing down what i thought was a hydraulics issue i finally found the problem.

When the clutch was first installed 4 months ago there was no loctite used and it was not properly torqued. Over time the bolts loosened up enough to cause my problem.

I took a close look at my pressure plate and found (looking from the bottom) on side the fingers were alot lower,
i removed the clutch assy, used locktite and torqued all the bolts down exactly how the instructions say.

After i put the trans back together i finally was able to get in car and it shifts smooth like butter!

Thanks to chris @ monster for all his help trying to get this figured out.
i really do appreciate it, great company!

Now i need to put my badass Tick master back in and enjoy the car again!
(amazing the difference between tick and stock master)

Last edited by 1nverted; 07-24-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't say for sure what the issue is but I had same symptoms and it was a bad slave.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:59 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alex L.
Can't say for sure what the issue is but I had same symptoms and it was a bad slave.
ive been thinking of the problem and im also leaning towards the slave.

The master cyl is pushing fluid through bc it will bleed, and it will barely let me in if i pin the pedal to the floor.

im guessing somewhere from where the fluid gets to the slave and the slave pushes the pressure plate the problem is.

i cant imagine the pressure plate failing all of a sudden. so i am leaning towards the slave.

( can someone explain to me why its easy to put in gear with the car not running?)

Its less than 5 months old and i haven't even raced the car yet.
very discouraging.

i remember making a thread when i purchased the clutch asking about what slave to use, general consensus was stock was fine.

Anybody else have any other ideas?
Old 07-20-2013, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The parts aren't moving when the car is off so nothing has to align. It sounds like a hydraulic issue, was this Tick master cylinder purchased directly from them? I assume there are no leaks? Does adjusting the master make any difference? Feel free to call me for expedited help. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 07-20-2013, 03:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
The parts aren't moving when the car is off so nothing has to align. It sounds like a hydraulic issue, was this Tick master cylinder purchased directly from them? I assume there are no leaks? Does adjusting the master make any difference? Feel free to call me for expedited help. Chris, 817-750-2000

Oh ok i understand that. thanks for your reply,

Looking back through my receipts looks like i purchased the tick mc and speed bleeder from texas speed. the clutch came from ws6 store.

There is a small oil leak coming from the back of the pan where it meets the bell housing, ive checked the fluid it is most def. oil.
Also, the fluid level in the mc res. has not changed.

im at work now, once i get off i will give you a call.

thanks again i appreciate your respsonse!

i tried to adjust the mc with no improvement. I have to nearly put the clutch petal to the floor to get in gear (still hard to get into that gear)
once i get the car in gear and move it, clutch engagement i s very very low to the floor and every shift iv very notchy.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 PM
10 Second Club

Problem solved, updated first post. thanks chris
Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever notice any squealing or clanking from the slave/bellhousing area? I'm having the sane problem and was really hoping that I dont end up having to drop my tranny again ...
Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by XDeath
Did you ever notice any squealing or clanking from the slave/bellhousing area? I'm having the sane problem and was really hoping that I dont end up having to drop my tranny again ...

No sir, mainly just not being able to get into gear. No noises coming from trans.
Sounds like you will have to pull it again. Hope you find your fix.

Quick Reply: Clutch wont disengage all of a sudden, monster/tick combo(Update fixed!)