Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LS platform for drag car

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS platform for drag car

]After a lot of research and teeth grinding, we are going to change our engine program from a 4 cyld program to a LS platform. The reason for the change is due to the problem of maintenance and longevity. Below is the current platform. Weight is 2150 with driver. Trans is a TH400 built for a promod. Chance billet converter with a fab 9" strange 35 spline axles and strange 5.18 gears. This was being raced in import outlaw class, but due to the few races available for that program, we are going to start running Super Pro and chase down a few dragsters.
[IMG][/IMG]
What I am looking for is what everyone one suggest for our build. Looking to spend around 8 thousand for just the engine build. The turbo we have is a BW S374R. We are looking only to put out around 12 - 15 psi. Here is what I have thought of so far:
Block - 6.0 bored out .030 (408) and forged internals on whoever I can get the best deal on ( I do like the diamond pistons).
Heads - Looking at a pair of CNC L92 or LQ9. Probably because of the lower boost, the LQ9 heads would probably be fine. Not sure on the valve train as there are a lot of choices out there, so any input would be welcome.
Cam - still need more research
Intake - Fast with a 92mm TB, though I have an Accufab 90 on it now, so if anyone knows any conversion, thanks.
Fuel - use current Aeromotive atomic fuel pump and Moran 235lb injectors.

We plan on doing the change over this winter, so start my shopping list so we may start our build sheet.
Will add a few extra pics. Please don't give me any crap about the 4 cyld. We could not get to spool of the line with the converter and ran only around 12 sec. Of course our trap speed was 144.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

More pics:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-21-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would hit up LME for the engine part lol
Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

235lb Injectors might be a little more then you need and a 74mm is on the small side for a 408... I would look into an s480
Old 07-21-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Should fly in a tube car. I agree no need for 235s unless on methanol. S480 all the way.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks slowlsx, I will do some checking of compressor maps and injector needs.

I would like some opinions on bracket racing with a turbo. What I have found has been a mix of pros and cons. With the new technology in turbos and boost controllers, the inconsistency of turbos have gotten better. The controller that we currently have will control boost on the line. On the plus side is the big end mile per hour that can be hard to judge by slower opponents. On the negative side is the inconsistency of turbos especially the effect of weather. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get another s374 to match the 1 you have, and run twins. Especially since you want 408 cubes.
Also forget about the fast intake, get a holley hi ram if you go square port heads, or an Edelbrock proflo if you keep the 317's. I dont think it matters which heads you use, but you will need to match the rest of the components to each head.
Jmo

Quick Reply: LS platform for drag car