Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

FS 1975 Mercury Cougar Street/Strip

Old 07-21-2013, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FS 1975 Mercury Cougar Street/Strip

Year: 1975
Make: Mercury
Model: Cougar
Price: $6500
Mileage: 101000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): WI
Color: Gold
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive

Having to sell my 1975 Mercury Cougar XR7 street/strip project that I've been working on for the last 3 years. Daughter is starting her 2nd year of College and I have two other cars as well. I'm only the third owner. Second owner bought the car from out west from, well, a little old lady. They only had it a year and never got around to it. I bought it and started work on it right away. Being from out west it had virtually no rust. Frame looks great! It had 101,000 miles on it and needed rebuilding. I could go into all the details and put everyone to sleep, but needless to say I have over $22,000 invested in this car and 100's of hours of work just myself. Not to mention the body/paint work and drivetrain. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to tell you all about it or send you the spreadsheet breakdown of everything I've done. I also have photo documentation of everything that was done in the last 3 years.

Engine:
Rebuilt 400, bored .030, decked .093, hyd. roller cam conversion Howards custom 247/251, .623/.623 @ 108, Weiand intake, AED 750 carb, MSD Pro Billet, BBC Crane 1.7 roller rockers, 2.19/1.71 stainless valves, Manley pushrods, surface factory heads (9.0 comp.), mill intake, heads, ARP bolts, valve job, bowl blend, gasket match, billet timing set and all the other misc. items to complete rebuild.

Fuel:
BD racing aluminum 20 gallon fuel cell mounted in trunk. Aeromotive electric fuel pump, filter and regulator. All black feed and return lines with matching black AN fittings. AED 750 DP carb.

Exhaust:
Hooker Super Comp coated headers, 3" pipes with Flowmaster mufflers and turn downs at rear axle.

Accessories:
Concept One conversion kit: power steering pump, resovoir, 1 wire chrome alternator, aluminum brackets, pullies and serpentine belt conversion. Derale 12" electric fan, New aluminum water pump, 160 stat, new 4-core radiator, JEGS trans-cooler, JEGS catch can, new rotors, pads, drums and hardware.
Custom fabricated AC delete plate on firewall.

Trans:
Rebuilt C6 with TCI 10" Super Street Fighter converter, TCI reverse manual valve body, TCI trans. pan

Rear end:
Factory 9" rebuilt with 'posi' and 3.70 gears

Interior:
New carpet. Panels, dash, seats are all original and look fantastic (see pictures). All new Auto Meter Sport Comp gauges and Moroso switch panel for fan, fuel and ignition w/2 open switches. No radio or HVAC (removed for weight). Factory power seat, power windows and power locks still work good. Headliner, map lights and vanity mirror w/lights are like new and original.

Body:
Painted original color with base/clear. Only rust repair was the rear window under the vinyl top that had to be patched. Vinyl top replaced at that time. new side mirrors and door handles. Re-chromed the grill, headlight trim, opera window trim, tail light trim. Bumpers and side trim have not been redone, but still look good. Bumpers have been lighted and mounted with custom fabricated brackets.

Suspension:
New stock replacement front and rear coil springs. New rear shocks, new Competition Engineering adjustable front drag shocks, removed front sway bar. Also had a fresh alignment done along with the front bushings.

Wheels tires:
Wheel Vintiques 15x8 rears with Mickey Thompson 275/60 tires
Wheel Vintiques 15x7 fronts with Mickey Thompson 235/60 tires

As everyone knows, a highly modified car is never worth the total money invested, and I know that here as well. Especially when it's an odd ball car like a 75 Cougar. I never had the car to the dyno, but I took it to the track once and managed a 13.20 @ 101. Even with some of my weight reduction, this is still a very heavy car! This was with very conservative timing (no pinging knocking at all) and the factory jets still in the carb. Car runs and drives good now so it doesn't spit, sputter, stall or foul plugs. Granted, there's no choke on this carb, so if it's cold it takes a few minutes to warm up just like any old car. I know it has more in it, but someone just needs to take the time to tune the car with jetting and timing if were so inclined. Doesn't need anything, unless someone wants to change things with it. I get comments everywhere I go with it. Turns a lot of heads

I know it doesn't really matter, but again, I have a ton of time and effort that went into this car and over $22,000

I would be willing to selling the car turn key, or as a roller, less motor - ask me.

Turn key:
SOLD

Last edited by hifi dream; 07-28-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

Car is now sold

Last edited by hifi dream; 07-28-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

car is now sold

Last edited by hifi dream; 07-28-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

car is now sold

Last edited by hifi dream; 07-28-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump for a great looking, uncommon car!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, it's definately different

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FS 1975 Mercury Cougar Street/Strip