Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

90 Camaro LS1 Swap Oil Pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Camaro LS1 Swap Oil Pan

Rebuilding a 90 Camaro convertible, giving it a little upgrade by dropping in an LS1 motor out of an 03 Corvette with a new GM 4L65 Trans. Using the original stock cross member rather than buying a tubular one, and know I need to swap out the oil pan to make it work.
Has anyone done this swap before and can recommend an oil pan that will drop right in and clear, or am I going to be stuck needing to do a little hammer to fit work on the back of the cross member regardless of which oil pan goes on? I know there's a couple oil pans out there recommended via GM or aftermarket companies, but am curious if what may be best for the swap. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently i shattered my oil pan on my 99 camaro (ls1) and spoke to quite a few people about replacing mine. Igot the same results from everyone and that is the factory oil pan for my car is used more than the rest for LS engine swaps for all kinds of vehicles, classics, mustangs, rx7s and so on. This is not my experience this is just what i was told. It seemed to be true though cuz my oil pan was my oil pan was harder to find than others and was more expensive. Im adduming you have the bat wing style oil pan on yours (idk) but from everyone tells me the oil pans on a 1998-02 camaro ss z28 firebird trans am ws6 all those are the ones to have for engine swaps because they tuck nicely due to crossmembers. I would ask around a little more to be safe but im sure that should do the trick. I bought mine used on ebay for $180 shipped to my door off a 02 SS which was a killer deal cause for weeks i couldnt find one under $250. But there out there. Good luck let me know what you find out cause im curious. Be careful though cause i did notice some people posting truck ones as camaro ones and they are very similar but too big and wont work. Sometimes when i google things on my car theres a 3rd gen forum that always pops up that has a ton of info it seems maybe try there too theres gota be someone on there that knows but when you posted about hammer work i wanted to clarify that you can not reshape a fbody ls1 oil pan due to the material there made from, there a different type of aluminum like a pot metal aluminum or something and they can NOT be reworked at all like old school cars. So the only hammering i guess would be the crossmember but if your pan hangs lower than that being the material its made from you will break it like glass like i did. All i did was winch mine on my tow truck and we hit a bump and the winch hook smacked my pan and shattered it so its easy trust me.

Quick Reply: 90 Camaro LS1 Swap Oil Pan