Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing stock speakers on an '01 Z28 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stock speakers on an '01 Z28 Camaro

Hey guys, I'm not too experienced in the way speakers work and I was wondering what the cheapest way to replace 2 of my stock speakers in my Z28 is.

Basically, one of the speakers in the front blew so I want to replace both front speakers. But I don't know squat about ohms and resistance and voltage...I looked at the help articles and they're too confusing

I have a pair of brand new Pioneer speakers from a friend who bought them for her base firebird, and got them to work great on that car, but she's giving the speakers to me 'cause she's selling the firebird.

So basically my question is, can these speakers work on my Z28 if they fit on her firebird? are they a good choice or is there a better option to fixing my sound? Thank you all for you time,

Cheers.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming you have a stock monsoon system. The front two door speakers are 6.5"Shallow mount 2-ohm midranges with .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted coaxially. Read the MONSOON FAQ STICKY, everything you need to know is in the sticky. Honestly if you wan't to have an easier install without having to cut/splice/solder and heat shrink your factory wires with limited space, sell the pioneers and get with Ian at KEE AUDIO a sponsor here and he will set you straight with some speakers that are plug and play. Also get rid of your stock head unit if you haven't already it's a distortion producing monster and will only strain your new speaker's and possibly blow them again at high volume levels.

Last edited by TX98Z28; 07-22-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

My suggestion, work with Kee. I have bought one of his packages a little while back and definitely worth it. Keeps the stock setup with perfect replacements for the speakers. He's very good and great to work with.

http://www.keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html
Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 AM

you all think it's better to just stick with Kee audio rather than trying to get other aftermarket? do the kee replacement packages sound better than stock?
Old 08-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by viettim
you all think it's better to just stick with Kee audio rather than trying to get other aftermarket? do the kee replacement packages sound better than stock?
It's not that Kee's replacement speakers are necessarily better than other speakers but they are better suited to the Monsoon system configuration. Otherwise, it can be difficult to find 6.5" coaxially mounted component speakers for the doors (as opposed to the non-component coaxials you'll find most everywhere) and 2-ohm 6.5" subs for Camaro sail panels. It's even tougher to find 6.5" 4-ohm dual voice coil subs for Firebird sail panels.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wired my front infinitys component style...... Just have to get the right ones.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my stock front speakers with some coaxial pioneers. Running a pioneer head unit, and replaced my hatch speakers as well with 4 inch pioneers. I need to replace my sails with 6.5 Kicker Subs.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
I replaced my stock front speakers with some coaxial pioneers. Running a pioneer head unit, and replaced my hatch speakers as well with 4 inch pioneers. I need to replace my sails with 6.5 Kicker Subs.
All still using stock Monsoon amp?

Got a speaker setup from KEE and picked up a head unit but still stumped on what amp to get, if I even need one.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C

Got a speaker setup from KEE and picked up a head unit but still stumped on what amp to get, if I even need one.
Running my infinitys in the front, Kickers in the sail and kickers in the rear off the monsoon amp and stock HU. Sounds just right for me. I also have an infinity bass link in the spare tire compartment (not on monsoon amp of course).... Helps out alot

I did have an aftermarket HU at one time.... It did sound better than the stock HU (volume), but I hate that generic adapter look.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C

Since you have all that, I suggest putting it in and trying it for awhile. You may find that you like it and nothing else is necessary. You may find you want more bass in which case you can add a sub in a stealth box. Or you may find that you want more power overall in which case you can change the amplification to something aftermarket. But the point is you haven't lost anything (except maybe some time) because everything will still work as you add more upgrades - and you might end up saving yourself some time and money if you find that big upgrades aren't necessary.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Not meaning to thread jack What kind of setup would I use I didn't have a monsoon setup but stock radio I have. 98 z28

Quick Reply: Replacing stock speakers on an '01 Z28 Camaro