Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Help - Twin Turbo Kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Twin Turbo Kits

Hey everyone,

Brand new to the site and this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on finding a twin turbo kit for my 2004 GTO. I've been researching online for a while and haven't found any good advice to my questions and when I look on ebay i'm not sure if its a good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-DIY-CUSTOM-T3-T4-TWIN-TURBO-CHARGER-PIPING-KIT-800HP-FOR-V6-V8-V10-/400398829021?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2004%7CModel%3AGTO&hash=item5d39a145dd&vxp=mtr
This is a universal twin turbo kit for under 1,000.00 What's the catch with this? I would be bringing this to my friends shop so a few custom pieces to make this work would not be a big deal. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it would be more than a few custom pieces. You'll still need all the hot side parts and will probably end up having to modify most of the cold side piping. Then, after spending all that time and money on custom parts, the only things you didn't touch are the two shitty turbos, blow-off valves and inter-cooler the "kit" came with.

Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time. Either buy a kit designed for the car or have a full custom kit made by someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely not looking to buy a kit like this cheap one and spend a couple grand more to finish it. You mentioned buying a kit designed for the car, where do you recommend? Is there a trustworthy company or website that you would recommend to buy a kit from?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

definitely check out the forced induction section of ls1tech. While you are in the right car type section this area is really dead and there's not much help here.

Try going here https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/ and searching for a few ebay turbo threads. Good luck sir and I also agree that you need to get a better kit than an ebay but I don't have a specific recommendation.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 PM
Launching!

The best kits were made by aps from Australia. Might be able to find one floating around somewhere
Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

Why not a maggie or procharger?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by bnvus
Why not a maggie or procharger?
This right here. Right now you have SCs making as much hp as TT kits and a lot less piping involved. Hell if you have the right build you can hit that maggie or procharger with a shot of N2O and reach a damn good goal of streetable hp.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:08 AM
Teching In

I built my own twin kit for my 05 gto. I wouldnt touch that ebay kit. Mine ran about $3500 in parts. would probably be another $2000 if you had to pay for labor and tuning.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Check out Upp kit under pressure performance.
There is a lot of info on ls1gto.com
Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM
Teching In

+1 on the upp kit. That's one of the big ones floating around right now.. Aps is better BUT-they stopped making that kit a while back and will be extremely luck to find someone willing to part with their aps kit now. Find a used Maggie and drop it on. Way easier to instal and no piping at all besides fuel and intake. I myself am looking for a used tvs 2300 for my 2005 Gto
Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Tim94gt
Well, it would be more than a few custom pieces. You'll still need all the hot side parts and will probably end up having to modify most of the cold side piping. Then, after spending all that time and money on custom parts, the only things you didn't touch are the two shitty turbos, blow-off valves and inter-cooler the "kit" came with.

Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time. Either buy a kit designed for the car or have a full custom kit made by someone who knows what they're doing.
Mr. Tim94gt......Well, I'm no expert on twin turbo kits, which is why I may be one of the idiots that bought one of those twin turbo kits off of Ebay.... I said may be...
Regardless do you know the turbos are crappy from firsthand experience or are you enough of a twin turbo kit expert that you can just tell by looking.
I mean no disrespect to you but someone you know had to have purchased one, you're a visual turbo expert, or maybe you are one of the idiots that bought one, too.... I'm really just joking to keep myself from crying if these ARE really as bad as you say, that sucks big time!!
Like I said no offense, just licking my wounds over here.....
Old 08-28-2013, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by james96z28
Mr. Tim94gt......Well, I'm no expert on twin turbo kits, which is why I may be one of the idiots that bought one of those twin turbo kits off of Ebay.... I said may be...
Regardless do you know the turbos are crappy from firsthand experience or are you enough of a twin turbo kit expert that you can just tell by looking.
I mean no disrespect to you but someone you know had to have purchased one, you're a visual turbo expert, or maybe you are one of the idiots that bought one, too.... I'm really just joking to keep myself from crying if these ARE really as bad as you say, that sucks big time!!
Like I said no offense, just licking my wounds over here.....
No offense taken, there will always be people with different opinions than mine. I wouldn't call myself an expert and there is likely nothing wrong with the turbo's, they're just not a part I would skimp on. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had good results with them. I have read enough horror stories on the interwebs to risk my hard earned money.

That being said, at the end of the day it's your car and your money do whatever you like with it.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Teching In

No offense taken, there will always be people with different opinions than mine. I wouldn't call myself an expert and there is likely nothing wrong with the turbo's, they're just not a part I would skimp on. I'm sure there are plenty of people that have had good results with them. I have read enough horror stories on the interwebs to risk my hard earned money.

That being said, at the end of the day it's your car and your money do whatever you like with it.
I emailed the guy and here's what he had to say....hope I'm not breaking any rules by doing this.... :-(

Dear Customer

For the turbo size, the Compressor: Inducer: 50.5 Exducer: 76 / Turbine Inducer: 65.5 Exducer: 55.9 or you can check the link below for the detail information. I dont think the turbo is crappy since we only got 3 return cases since 2006 and less than 10 guys ask questions after they purchased.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230913789945?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2F i.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D2309137 89945%26_rdc%3D1

And, We just try to provide all we can get for anyone who likes to build their turbo system, in case, this kit might require some modification for the fitting such as bending or welding, also just like the description says, the kit is still missing the manifold & exhaust. The buyer can always choose to purchase a 1K auction to build their own kit or pay $6,500 ~ $12,000 to purchase the complete kit excluded labor too, I can tell the both ways are not much different, cuz we also carry complete bolt-on kit for some other models and we go to SEMA every year, we build all the project cars by those materials, however, thanks for your patience, and purchasing our product. Please contact us if any requests. I will try to solve the problem asap. Have a nice one.

Now me being a turbo dummy, I still don't know what size the turbo is by his numbers. How many millimeters? ?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

You go by the Compressor Inducer size, so 50mm(50.5 to be exact) is what you got.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Teching In

You go by the Compressor Inducer size, so 50mm(50.5 to be exact) is what you got.
Thanks Tim, appreciate it. My Lord, by what you guys say and even the seller, I will have to spend many thousands of dollars to get this twin turbo kit installed!! Does anyone know exactly what I will need in parts to complete this 100% and ballpark cost?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=230918056782
Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by james96z28
Thanks Tim, appreciate it. My Lord, by what you guys say and even the seller, I will have to spend many thousands of dollars to get this twin turbo kit installed!! Does anyone know exactly what I will need in parts to complete this 100% and ballpark cost?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=230918056782
In theory, you'll only need the hot side parts. Making it all work together is another story.

I suggest you start doing a lot of research and try to find others that have used these kits. Check the forced induction forum here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/
Old 08-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Teching In

In theory, you'll only need the hot side parts. Making it all work together is another story.

I suggest you start doing a lot of research and try to find others that have used these kits. Check the forced induction forum here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction-9/
Thanks again, I'll check it out. Sorry if I hijacked the thread...it just caught my attention. Thanks all, I like this forum.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

When it comes to boosting a car, you simply shouldn't cheap out.
I'd either get a kit from a reputable a reputable company (which I can't name any. I haven't seen a kit I actually liked for this car with all good components) or have one custom fab'd at a good performance/fabrication shop. Get GOOD turbos. The difference is really just the center section. Good turbos will have good wheels and be ball bearing (unless you go the diesel turbo route. Holset makes some good ones that are journal bearing, but damn near indestructable at a normal boost level). They'll last longer and spool more quickly.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Another vote for UPP. They took the jump and made kits specifically for the GTO which is a very small market. Plus, they are completely upgradeable and offer full fuel kits, too.

Quick Reply: Help - Twin Turbo Kits