Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

2000 Camaro SS T-Top lock is stuck in lock position

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Camaro SS T-Top lock is stuck in lock position

The drivers side T-top on my Camaro is stuck in the lock position. The passenger one works fine. There is pretty much zero movement in the lock cylinder after the key is inserted. I've tried wiggling the handle and unlocking etc but it seems seized.

Someone told me that the only thing holding the lock cylinder in there is a little C-clip? Is there a way to get in from behind the trim to remove it? I'm assuming you can't remove the trim unless the T-top is off. There is a section of the trim that I can pull back a little bit and I can see the lock cylinder. Is there a way I can remove this thing without messing everything up (aka breaking the trim piece)?
Old 08-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by XmetallicaXguitarstX
The drivers side T-top on my Camaro is stuck in the lock position. The passenger one works fine. There is pretty much zero movement in the lock cylinder after the key is inserted. I've tried wiggling the handle and unlocking etc but it seems seized.

Someone told me that the only thing holding the lock cylinder in there is a little C-clip? Is there a way to get in from behind the trim to remove it? I'm assuming you can't remove the trim unless the T-top is off. There is a section of the trim that I can pull back a little bit and I can see the lock cylinder. Is there a way I can remove this thing without messing everything up (aka breaking the trim piece)?
Before you break something, 1st try penetrating oil and work key in and out numerous times, being generous w/pen. oil. I know u aren't supposed to oil a lock, but locks aren't supposed to seize either! After u open it, blow it out good and spray WD-40 to dry up any moisture that may be in the tumblers/lock.
HTH,
Sam
Old 08-13-2013, 04:59 AM
Teching In

I ended up just removing the whole damn lock cylinder. It popped right out after I got a good angle on the C-Clip and applied pressure towards the passenger side. I think I'm just going to keep it this way too. The T-Top works perfectly now. There is no way that it will come off without the latch purposely being disengaged (IE if the windows were down on the highway or something).

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro SS T-Top lock is stuck in lock position