Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:28 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Edmunds: Instrumented C7 Stingray tests

http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/cor...road-test.html
Here is the video:http://bcove.me/4hcjrfj5The Numbers
The Stingray, equipped with the optional dual-mode exhaust, packs 460 horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque (standard is 455 hp/460 lb-ft). Our test car came equipped with the exhaust, the Z51 package and Magnetic Selective Ride Control. It also utilized the seven-speed manual transmission with active rev-matching: a feature toggled on and off using the wheel-mounted paddles that would otherwise execute shifts on automatic-equipped cars.

And in our tests it was insanely rapid... in every measurable way.

How does a 12.0-second quarter-mile at 117.3 mph sound? Sixty mph was gone in 4.1 seconds (3.8 seconds with 1-foot rollout as on a drag strip).

But straight-line tests hardly tell the whole story. Using the Z51-specific Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP rubber, it circled the skid pad at 1.08g, the highest number we've recorded in a production car on street tires. The slalom, hastily performed in the last few minutes of our test, passed at a mighty 72.8 mph.

With its middle finger raised to physics, the C7 also stopped from 60 mph in only 93 feet, which is the shortest stopping distance we've ever measured.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51

Though just barely, all of these numbers are better than the last 991-generation PDK-equipped Porsche 911 we tested. And they're so much better than the last base C6 Corvette we tested that those numbers don't even merit mention.
The Numbers
The Stingray, equipped with the optional dual-mode exhaust, packs 460 horsepower and 465 pound-feet of torque (standard is 455 hp/460 lb-ft). Our test car came equipped with the exhaust, the Z51 package and Magnetic Selective Ride Control. It also utilized the seven-speed manual transmission with active rev-matching: a feature toggled on and off using the wheel-mounted paddles that would otherwise execute shifts on automatic-equipped cars.

And in our tests it was insanely rapid... in every measurable way.

How does a 12.0-second quarter-mile at 117.3 mph sound? Sixty mph was gone in 4.1 seconds (3.8 seconds with 1-foot rollout as on a drag strip).

But straight-line tests hardly tell the whole story. Using the Z51-specific Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP rubber, it circled the skid pad at 1.08g, the highest number we've recorded in a production car on street tires. The slalom, hastily performed in the last few minutes of our test, passed at a mighty 72.8 mph.

With its middle finger raised to physics, the C7 also stopped from 60 mph in only 93 feet, which is the shortest stopping distance we've ever measured.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51

Though just barely, all of these numbers are better than the last 991-generation PDK-equipped Porsche 911 we tested. And they're so much better than the last base C6 Corvette we tested that those numbers don't even merit mention.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:29 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

The short version of this ^^^ Yeah, it'll kick ***!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, unbelievable!
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 AM
Staging Lane

If the numbers they're giving us are legit, I think we've got some car here. Even more impressive is that this isn't the Z06 yet.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow 60-0 in 93 feet is stupid quick for a stop. This car is legit, but to think GM would fail much on a Corvette on the newest generation is hard to fathom.

Last edited by Cole Train; 07-25-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:33 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

The numbers are real, they fall in line with MotorTrend and Car and Drivers results.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Impressive car!
Old 07-25-2013, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is amazing. Of course the numbers are legit, things can always go wrong and seem less desirable with slower times and such, but if a car goes faster in an independent test, it's real. I remember one magazine couldn't get the LS2 GTO out of the 14 second mark in the quarter, lol.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Looking like the C7 is going to embarass a lot of high end cars in only Z51 trim at the road course. 1.08 G on stock rubber is insane!
Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

The specs are good on it, but it tipped the scales at 3444lbs! That's about 250lbs more than a base C6! With all the lightweight talk I was thinking it was going to be about the same as the outgoing car, not a couple hundred pounds heavier.

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
I remember one magazine couldn't get the LS2 GTO out of the 14 second mark in the quarter, lol.
Do they actually post the times they get, or are the corrected times? Magazine times lately have seemed on the very fast times (perfect air and conditions with a great driver) of what people are actually running with the cars.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Love it! It will be my next new car.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Damn.... Just imagine what the higher trim models will do.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gocartone
Do they actually post the times they get, or are the corrected times? Magazine times lately have seemed on the very fast times (perfect air and conditions with a great driver) of what people are actually running with the cars.
Usually they post the times they get from their own tests. Not sure what you mean by corrected times, do you mean like from the manufacturer? From what I've seen, sometimes they bring in a pro to test the car and sometimes the writer or someone else from the magazine does the testing. That's probably one reason for discrepancies between magazines, among many others. If a car produces a faster time than seen elsewhere, it just means someone else found the car's real limit. Sure, maybe they got lucky and temps were perfect, etc, but it still happened. I just don't think it's likely for a magazine to inflate stats, but it's possible.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
Usually they post the times they get from their own tests. Not sure what you mean by corrected times, do you mean like from the manufacturer? From what I've seen, sometimes they bring in a pro to test the car and sometimes the writer or someone else from the magazine does the testing. That's probably one reason for discrepancies between magazines, among many others. If a car produces a faster time than seen elsewhere, it just means someone else found the car's real limit. Sure, maybe they got lucky and temps were perfect, etc, but it still happened. I just don't think it's likely for a magazine to inflate stats, but it's possible.
I mean correct the times/trap speed to sea level. It seems like in the last few years the times they are posting are more in line with what a pro driver in in perfect conditions is running than what 99% of the people are running with them. Not at all saying the car isn't capable of hitting the times they posted, it just seems like the times they are posting for cars now are quicker than average vs being below average like they always used to be.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love it. I'd like to get some pics of my Trans Am at the old Packard Plant.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet im loving the c7. But holy **** are you serious 3500lbs?!?!?! Where the **** did that extra 250lbs come from????
Old 07-26-2013, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tainted
Sweet im loving the c7. But holy **** are you serious 3500lbs?!?!?! Where the **** did that extra 250lbs come from????
Dry sump = more fluid, heavier pump
DI = etra lobe on camshaft, extra pump mounted at rear of the engine
Differential Cooler = extra fluid, the cooler
Transmission Cooler = extra fluid, the cooler
Brakes = I did not hunt for sizes, but given the improved braking those are most likely bigger cast iron rotors than a base C6
Additonal airbgs = I am sure they added some given ever tightening restrictions
Improved interior materials will always weigh more
Extra gear in the transmission, bigger case, more fluid (?)

It is not one thing, but the little things add up.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tainted
If Ford sticks to their plan the next Mustang is going to be lighter than the Corvette, with a backseat and IRS! I don't know why they feel the need to make the Corvette bigger every generation. They need to focus more on performance and less on fitting obese old guys
Old 07-26-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Dry sump = more fluid, heavier pump
DI = etra lobe on camshaft, extra pump mounted at rear of the engine
Differential Cooler = extra fluid, the cooler
Transmission Cooler = extra fluid, the cooler
Brakes = I did not hunt for sizes, but given the improved braking those are most likely bigger cast iron rotors than a base C6
Additonal airbgs = I am sure they added some given ever tightening restrictions
Improved interior materials will always weigh more
Extra gear in the transmission, bigger case, more fluid (?)

It is not one thing, but the little things add up.

And I get all that but damn. You woul hope for maybe some more use of aluminum n **** to offset a larger portion of that weight. It getting a little heavier was inevitable, but I was thinking like 100lbs not 200+
Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
If Ford sticks to their plan the next Mustang is going to be lighter than the Corvette, with a backseat and IRS! I don't know why they feel the need to make the Corvette bigger every generation. They need to focus more on performance and less on fitting obese old guys
I wouldn't bet on that. Good luck getting IRS and safety equipment on a 4 seater pony car anywhere near what the Corvette weighs. If the Mustang is able to maintain its current weight, I will be impressed.

Quick Reply: Edmunds: Instrumented C7 Stingray tests