Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Recommended amp wiring kit for Rockford Fosgate 801S

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended amp wiring kit for Rockford Fosgate 801S

Somewhat of an old school amp. The 801S is rated at 800 watts rms(actual birthsheet 988 watts)4ohm mono. I will be running it in 2 ohm mono. It's went several years without skipping a beat in 2 ohm mono. Nevertheless I want to get a quality amp kit for under $100. It also has 2 places for the hotwire lead ins.

Wiring Recommendations

Input, Power and Ground Wiring: This amplifier has two power and two ground inputs, and each input can accept 8 gauge wire. If you use an 8-gauge kit with a 60-amp or higher fuse, you only need to use one power input and one ground input. If the 8-gauge kit does not have the required fuse, you can upgrade to a 60-amp or higher fuse. For especially long runs, you may want to use a pre-packaged 4-gauge wiring kit along with two distribution blocks, 8-gauge power cable and 8-gauge ground cable. This would involve using both power and ground inputs on the amplifier. Using this wiring configuration will result in lower voltage drop and better overall performance. If you do not use a 4-gauge wiring kit with the necessary additional items for this wiring configuration, you can purchase all the necessary items separately. The separate parts and wiring needed are as follows:

Two distribution blocks (each block should have one 4 gauge input and two 8 gauge outputs)
One fuse holder capable of accepting 4 gauge wire
One 60-amp fuse
Two power rings for 4 gauge cable
4 gauge power cable (to connect the battery to a fuse holder and the fuse holder to a distribution block with a 4 gauge input)
4 gauge ground cable (to connect a ground point to a distribution block with a 4 gauge input)
8 gauge power cable (to connect the 8 gauge outputs of a distribution block to the two 8 gauge power inputs on the amplifier)
8 gauge ground cable (to connect the 8 gauge outputs of a distribution block to the two 8 gauge ground inputs on the amplifier)
Remote turn-on cable (speaker wire can be used as remote turn-on cable)
One 0.25" female quick slide (to attach remote turn-on cable to amplifier)
One patch cable
Speaker wire

Last edited by IrbyBocksnick; 07-25-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:51 AM
TECH Regular

Check out knukonceptz wiring kits. They make a solid 4g kit for under $30. It's wut I use in my camaro for my 800w RMS amp that pulls 90a from the alt
Old 07-26-2013, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second knukonceptz, been using their products for awhile now in many vehicles with no problems.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Avaric3
Check out knukonceptz wiring kits. They make a solid 4g kit for under $30. It's wut I use in my camaro for my 800w RMS amp that pulls 90a from the alt
I typically recommend knukonceptz but that cheap kit is is copper clad aluminum which is crap IMO, if you go prefab kit like that then get the OFC kit that costs like 20 more, it handles more power.

Personally I would buy lengths of welding wire (much cheaper per foot then car audio power wire) then get the other parts you need from knukonceptz.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:13 AM
On The Tree

Got a question for you guys. When I purchased my amp,it had a birth sheet stating that it was 988 watts rms at 4 ohm mono. Since I'm actually running the amp in 2 ohm mono,would you guys think I'm getting 1100-1200 watts rms out of it?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Did you not read the manual? That amp is not 2 ohm stable in bridged mode. You can probably get away with it up to about half power without damage. But no, you're not getting 1100-1200 watts out of it - at full power level you're probably getting a fried amp.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

I been running it a good 6 years and I haven't fried it yet. It barely runs warm in fact. But I don't continuously beat on it and I do have it turned down a good bit. Only reason I ran it 2 ohm mono was because I had a friend that did run a stereo shop at once and said it would run 2 ohm mono all day. Didn't matter what RF said because he's seen them do it without skipping a beat. so far, mine hasn't
Old 08-03-2013, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

In fact, it's never even shut down once.

Quick Reply: Recommended amp wiring kit for Rockford Fosgate 801S